More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 23, 03:40:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Scanner Gun hack screwy since patch?
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Scanner Gun hack screwy since patch?  (Read 15865 times)
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
Scanner Gun hack screwy since patch?
« on: 2005 October 15, 13:52:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of JM's hacks that I really rely on is the scanner gun hack.  Hate having to look for that thing every time.

But since the patch, it seems like the sim using the gun will suddenly jump out of the action - I think it's happening when they're scanning something and another sim goes to use it, or maybe it's just when a sim walks by the object being scanned.  Anyway, I tried removing the hack from my downloads folder and I haven't had it happen since.

I have the newest version (NL compatible) and have Uni and NL.  Anyone else have this happen?

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: Scanner Gun hack screwy since patch?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 October 15, 14:01:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I was using the gun last night (via macro > skillinator > cleaning) and didn't run into any problems. I just checked and I do have the scannergun hack in my downloads folder. I have Uni + NL and have applied the NL patch if that makes a difference.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 October 15, 14:07:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the patch fixes the problem with the scanner gun.  If so, it would probably cause problems to have the fix in as well.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 October 15, 14:12:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In most cases where a patch or addon fixed a problem that a hack already fixed (ie jump bug etc) keeping the hack in is redundant but doesn't cause any problems. At any rate with the patch and the hack it seems to work fine for me so I don't think that's what's causing Elvira's problem although she could try taking the hack out. But does the patch really make them put it back down where they got it from? I didn't see that on the list of fixes but the uni list was huge so I may well have missed it.

ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 October 15, 14:14:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just started having problems since I installed the NL patch.  But not all the time.  And I don't have it happen everytime someone uses it on a particular lot.  Like sim 1 might use it for quite some time w/o problem, but sim 2 might only scan for a few sim minutes and jump out of it.  It only seems to happen when another sim walks by.

Maybe it has to do with the sim's personality? (neatness?) Or skill level at the time?  It does seem to be the ones who have low cleaning skills and low neatness (who I'm trying to add skill level to) who do this more.

I just want them to put it back on the table when they're done with it.  If they're using it, and I cancel the action, they do return it to the table or desk like they should (with the hack in).  But if they jumped out of the action on their own, it's on the ground where they're standing at the time.

JM - can you modify this hack for just "put it back where you got it from"?

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2005 October 15, 14:16:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It probably does have to do with neatness.  My neat Sims will always put the thinking cap back where they got it from, but the non-neat will put it on the nearest surface, often the kitchen worktop.  Then if I don't move it quickly enough they complain that there is nowhere to prepare their meals.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 October 15, 17:37:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it just happened again.  And the sim had 7 points in neatness and level 8 cleaning skill.  Scanner gun hack was out.  And no sim was standing or walking in front of the sim using the gun.  But it was 6 am and the other sims in the next room were getting up at the time the gun dropped to the floor.  It must be something else.

Would still like to have a hack that allows the gun to be placed back on the table allotted for it.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 October 15, 20:03:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're having the problem with or without Pescado's hack then you might as well use it. *shrug* I think it's going to be a while until he gets his NL package from Uzbekistan and starts mass updating a lot of his hacks.

I'll have to try the gun now with a sloppy sim because the one I did it with last night was very neat.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 October 15, 20:13:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it's something to do with the object being scanned?

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 October 15, 20:20:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you running debug mode when this happens?  If not, turn it on and see what happens.  I was getting this a lot with certain lots when another sim was skilling on the Chocolate factory.  The sim kept wanting to scan the invisible candies.  He woudl have them in his thought bubble but then I'd get an error and if I paused it quickly enough between hitting cancel and the next error coming up, I could see what was in his thought bubble.  Other things that are no longer valid by the time your sim reaches them include the carpool, school bus, etc.  By the time your sim walks from the back lot to the road, they can be gone.  JMP included some tweaks to fix this in his last version of the scanner gun hack, but there are still some issues, and then you throw NL and the patch into the mix.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 October 15, 20:31:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I must admit I've had no issues at all with the scanner gun since JM's fix, but I don't yet have the patch installed, and NL still hasn't arrived.  However, I've found the chocolate factory useless until they reach about 4 skill points for cooking - it helps them get those points, but they stop doing it and don't earn any money, but I imagine this is normal, as I've only ever used it before for sims who've actually earned it!

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 October 15, 20:35:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I must admit I've had no issues at all with the scanner gun since JM's fix, but I don't yet have the patch installed, and NL still hasn't arrived.  However, I've found the chocolate factory useless until they reach about 4 skill points for cooking - it helps them get those points, but they stop doing it and don't earn any money, but I imagine this is normal, as I've only ever used it before for sims who've actually earned it!
It's useful to teach children how to cook when their parents are maxed out.  All they have to do is stand there and watch.  It's kind of cute, but not as cute as them learning on the surgical dummy.  They keep retching and holding their nose!  Then they will clap and cheer.  Both of them drain fun fast though. 
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 October 15, 20:48:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I use the surgery thing a lot!  My favourites though are the punchbag and the assault course - you can get a little kid up to 8 before they're ready to transition, so once they're a teen they can get the scholarship straight away!  and they can do both of them on their own just as well!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 October 15, 21:03:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The candy machine is not that useful alone, since with a base rate of 200, it provides no real advantage over simply studying from a book, or watching Yummy. It also tends to malfunction if used with skill < 600. It does earn some money, but with more and more ways to abuse the system for money without even having to cheat, money is hardly a concern. Because even dating some homeless unemployed bum can spit out a $9000 fountain, apparently.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 October 15, 23:30:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's useful for making puddles and then watching the toddlers get all wired and caffeinated and having their energy go up. Of course prior to this latest patch the puddles for the most part were invisible and the toddlers have to do that eating chocolate action autonomously, you can't queue up. Might make a nice option for macrotastics if there weren't so many variables involved heh.

Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 October 16, 02:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was having the same problem with the scanner gun before the patch.  I haven't used the scanner since the patch.

If your Sim intends to scan something and another Sim starts using it, the scanning will reset, putting the scanner gun and thinking cap on the ground next to the Sim.  This is most obvious when they want to scan the maid's van about the time she decides to leave, but can happen with other items as well.

I also had a Sim scan the ReNuYu aspiration reward, one that had been moved to a new lot in a Sim's inventory.  I couldn't place the object against a wall.  When the object was scanned, the Sim got the corrupted thought bubble.  I've since deleted the Senso Orb, and I hope there are no other problems.

I had an odder problem where a Sim would scan one item, then quit, putting the scanner gun back where he got it.  I doubt this is the hack doing this however.

I'll try it without the hack, and if I don't like the results, I'll put the hack back in.  I'd rather have a Sim reset once in a while than put up with the other crap that happens with the scanner gun.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 October 16, 03:53:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before I had the hack my sims were constantly losing it, and at that time I didn't have the replacement rewards so it was extremely frustrating - you have your sim at neatness 7 or so, on his way to being Captain hero, and he loses the gun!  I know he can study from a boom but there's no fun that way!

What I have noticed, though, is that if a sim's fun level is full, they will stop scanning and put the gun back where they got it.  So how about telling them to scan when fun is low?

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 October 16, 03:59:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's when the Skillinator sends them out to kick stuff.

(Er, how do you study from a boom?  Or was that book?  Cheesy)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 October 16, 04:05:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, when only one hand works properly it's easy to make typos!

Have you tried the scanner gun without the skillinator?

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 October 16, 04:09:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, when only one hand works properly it's easy to make typos!

Have you tried the scanner gun without the skillinator?
Not lately.  I do know that children won't use it by themselves.  They pick it up and then put it back down.  They need an adult with them to help them focus, LOL.

What is wrong with your hand?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 October 16, 04:18:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a trapped nerve in my elbow and left it too long before I had an op, so the little finger is a bit paralysed - add that to arthritis, and I tend to fumble over the keys when I'm tired.

I never had a problem with kids using the scanner gun, although I think they learn faster if an adult teaches them.  Can't check it at present, though - no kids in my hood, although I suppose I could load another one with kids.

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 October 16, 04:23:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a trapped nerve in my elbow and left it too long before I had an op, so the little finger is a bit paralysed - add that to arthritis, and I tend to fumble over the keys when I'm tired.

I never had a problem with kids using the scanner gun, although I think they learn faster if an adult teaches them.  Can't check it at present, though - no kids in my hood, although I suppose I could load another one with kids.
Yeah they do learn faster with someone teaching them.  The Skillinator will ignore the scanner when they are kids and have them study from a book unless someone is acting as an instructor.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 October 16, 04:35:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I never tried the skillinator, it takes over what I like to do for myself!  And I don't really like most of my sims to be maxed out on neatness, as it is I hate the way 4 sims will get up from a meal and each one will grab a plate and rush off to find an unoccupied sink!  I think I prefer sloppy sims who don't bother and then you can queue one sim to clean up!  And Virgos are a pain - always cleaning, and cheering if you tell them to clean!  They get up in the morning and cheer before autonomously making their bed!  What do they think they have the maid for anyway?

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 October 16, 04:40:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I never tried the skillinator, it takes over what I like to do for myself!  And I don't really like most of my sims to be maxed out on neatness, as it is I hate the way 4 sims will get up from a meal and each one will grab a plate and rush off to find an unoccupied sink!  I think I prefer sloppy sims who don't bother and then you can queue one sim to clean up!  And Virgos are a pain - always cleaning, and cheering if you tell them to clean!  They get up in the morning and cheer before autonomously making their bed!  What do they think they have the maid for anyway?
My sims aren't maxed on neatness, but they max out cleaning skill.  That doesn't make them want to clean any more, it makes them clean faster when they do (after moaning and complaining about it). 

Speaking of virgos, my ex was a virgo, but he never cleaned his dirty dishes or anything else.  Always leaving his dirty underwear on the floor next to the laundry hamper!  And he never made his bed or, or I could go on and on. Tongue  He liked to complain when other people didn't keep things as clean as he wanted them to be though.  Angry
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 October 16, 04:44:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing that drives me batty about sloppy sims is that they will walk across a room to put a book on the floor or a surface even if the bookcase is right next to them. Personally I would think a slob would only do that if the bookcase was too far from where they had been reading (but maybe that has more to do with laziness than being a slob). I like a neatness of about 4 so at least they're not total neatfreaks but they're not pointlessly wasting time with the book nonsense. Can't stand the autonomous making the bed annoyance either. If I cancel the interaction they still finish it anyway, even if I've queued up something I thought was more important (like using the toilet before they have a bladder failure).
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: