More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 29, 05:02:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Morality & The Sims
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Morality & The Sims  (Read 30157 times)
Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
Re: Morality & The Sims
« Reply #25 on: 2005 September 24, 22:48:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, my sims are sluts.  LMAO j/k

I have a few sluts, I mean, romance sims, who cheat on a regular basis.  I have a very good time trying to plan out their dates and make sure the spouse and other lovers.  But I always make sure they "get theirs" in the end.  My male romance sim keeps getting women pregnant and having to change diapers, even though he hates it.  After about his 4th divorce, right before he was going to age into an elder, I let him meet the wrong end of an alien probe.   Cheesy

Right now, I don't have any homosexual couples.  At one time, Remington the maid had fallen in love with Don the maid, so they were joined.  Laura Mellon had a relationship with a female dormmate, too. 

SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005 September 24, 23:47:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm with Pescado on this one. My sims are usually faithful unless they romance, then sometimes they get to at least kiss around if they are not married... Wink
Hey, I am faithful to my hubby, my sims should be faithful to their spouses too.

INTJ
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 September 25, 00:46:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thinking about it, I don't really have a particular style when it comes to being faithful or not, it's usually spontaneous when I have a sim cheat, for some reason my romance sims tend to stick with the one partner, yet the other aspirations are more likely to have affairs, not sure why I play them that way.  Although, occasionally I come across a romance sim who I become really fond of, and that romance sim will almost always play the field to his/her hearts content.
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 September 25, 01:07:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to play everyone as monogamous, now I go more with the Sims' aspirations and personalities. Although I'm very married, I have a very open mind when it comes to sexuality and so long as no one is hurting anyone (unless the other person *wants* to be hurt <g>), I have a very live and let live philosophy of life.

I play gay/lesbian sims, straight sims, and bisexual sims. Not everyone in the world is straight and I like for my game to reflect that.

You know, your attitude remains me quite a bit of a certain other famous NO resident. Personally, I like it.

I've noticed one thing in this thread, if posts are any indication people tend to play their sims the way they live, or at least how they think people should live (disclaimer - not always the case). 

I happen to play most of my neighborhoods fairly monogamous ( a few, very few) exceptions. Most relationships are heterosexual, but some aren't. Homosexual relationships exist in life. They are in my 'hoods too.

My one real exception to the above is Strangetown. I decided to make the name fit. In Strange town sims get what they ask for even if it is not good for them. There are some weird things happening and some very messy family trees. I am so very glad this neighborhood is not my life.
Not that my life is normal.
I have my own somewhat less than conventional arrangement at home. But nevermind, I won't describe that here.

_edit_  tweaked pronouns and verb tenses
« Last Edit: 2005 September 25, 01:12:54 by Kitiara » Logged

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 September 25, 01:16:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At one time, Remington the maid had fallen in love with Don the maid, so they were joined.

Well, shoot, anyone can tell that Remington is gay.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2005 September 25, 01:17:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have my own somewhat less than conventional arrangement at home. But nevermind, I won't describe that here.

I'm assuming it involves Nuns.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #31 on: 2005 September 25, 01:18:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At one time, Remington the maid had fallen in love with Don the maid, so they were joined.

Cheesy ROFL!!!
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 September 25, 01:44:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm assuming it involves Nuns.

- Gus

Actually, no. I just found the nun in short black rubber(?) vinyl(?) leather(?)  amusing. Plus I rather approve of thigh-high stockings complete with garter belt. My husband does too, but I suppose that is quite another story.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005 September 25, 06:39:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sims, unless Romance sims, pretty much remain faithful until their partner dies. Then they're free to play the field, although they pretty much never remarry. Hey, like it says in the contract...

Yup, mine too.  There are no really sane sims, but Romance sims seriously need professional help.  Except in rare circumstances, I don't allow them in my game.  (My solution to the mess that Maxis made with Pleasantview was 'deleteallcharacters.'  Fixed all the problems in one simple command!)

I'm hoping against hope that some Truly Awesome Sims Maestro can invent a cure for the Turn-Ons/Turn-Offs thing in Nightlife.  (Like maybe just make the whole furshlugginer thing go away!)  That's one of many reasons that I uninstalled Nightlife.

If we must keep that Turn-On thing, it would be nice to add "Married to me" and "Not married to me" to the list of available options.  And maybe "Romance" sims as a major turn-off.

Another hack I'd like to see: Only Romance sims, if anyone, does that wolf-whistle thing at Romance sims.  It's totally out of character for most of my characters.  Banal.
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005 September 25, 08:50:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

- Gus

Hello, and duh!

Thanks for the story line, Kristalrose!  Cheesy

I downloaded twoJeff's "gays get to marry like everybody else for pete's sake" hack two weeks ago, but I hadn't gotten to introducing any gay characters to my neighborhood...which has been bugging me. I'm living RL stuck in a South Jersey suburb that is like 97% white with only one known gay couple .... that's not what my Sims neighborhood is about! 

I've been doing a decent job with ethnic diversity -- (Do you know how hard it is for an all thumbs non-artist to try to make Asian Sims? ) --  but I hadn't played any Sims as gay and didn't want to force the issue at this point.  Donte and Remington!  Perfect...and Donte is sitting as a playable character in my game, leftover from a time I had to have a live in maid.  Yahoo!

--------------

Can I tell you guys a story that kind of fits into this thread?  Playing the Sms2 with my 11 and 13 year old has presented some interesting results.  We play under different user names but the 11 year old and I especially compare notes on stories back and forth.  (I've successfully kept some seedier behavior, like Mama Goth's, out of what he's seen.  Nobody wants to see their mother woohoo in a hot tub!)

Anyway, one of my main families is African American (since I guess my Pleasantview is in the US).  My son has been interested in following them because they have lots of kids. They are also my "rainbow" family, half natural born, and half adopted kids of different ethnicities.  I was catching him up on everybody's doings yesterday when this happened.....

Maximus March is the oldest son, natural born therefore African American.  He's an adult now, quite successful in Science, and married to a beautiful CAS with one child of his own.  As a knowledge Sim, he'd never been about appearance...he wore polo shirts and pants, had close cropped hair and a very earnest expression. 

When he became so successful, I gave him a makeover.  He has nice cornrow hair, sharp sunglasses and a tan leather jacket outfit.  He looks like a successful black man, not a successful black man dressed like a typical white man, if you know what I mean.  The makeover matched his level of personal confidence, I thought.

So, my son was watching me play yesterday, and Maximus came over to the current Sims house.  I start catching my son up on Maximus' story line when my son says....

"What did you do to him?  He looks like somebody you wait to come out of the 7-11 before you go in!"

***faint***  (that sound of loud crashing was me, fainting on the floor.  the cursing thereafter was me cursing at my husband that I told him raising these children in such a %$#^ homogenous neighborhood was going to cause us problems!)

After I recovered, this was a springboard for an excellent parent/child interaction where I encouraged (insert Sims "encouragement" animation) him to expand his thinking, for Pete's sake.  He ended up with a mini history lesson on racial profiling in the US and why it is a pain in the ass to be a black man driving the Jersey turnpike in a BMW that you worked hard to pay for.

I also tracked down the source of his 7-11 line, which turned out to be a commerical for My Name Is Earl (a very funny show, btw, and nothing to do with racial anything).

Playing games with your children is one of the best parental defenses I know of.

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
Piffle
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005 September 25, 14:59:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like my sims happily married with 1.5 kids and (since I got Nightlife) a car. I've only had straight couples, I don't have anything against homosexual people, in fact I am hugely in favour of gay/lesbian marriage, i just love the genetics/generations/child raising aspects of the game too much to have non-reproductive couples in my game.

This is why I use the Pregnancy-4-all mod from mts2.  I wanted my gay sims to be able to breed without having affairs (adoption is *not* an option until Maxis figures out how to make prettier randomly-generated Sims!), and this is the next best thing to artificial insemination.  It makes the game a bit less realistic, but then I don't know anyone who was kidnapped by aliens, bitten by vampires, or killed by falling space technology either.

First they came for the Wal-Marts, and I said nothing because I was not tacky...
AllenABQ
Feckless Fool

Contemplator of Fuzzy Things

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2005 September 25, 16:35:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play many varied families -- gay, straight -- with bisexuals added into the mix.  Many couples have children, but some do not.  I have one extended gay family which using the same-sex pregnancy option I've stretched reality a bit and made them a multi-generations "legacy" family of sorts.  Generally pick one child to carry on the family and the others sort of mix and match according to their own interests.  Lots of straight families as well.

My sims on the whole tended to stay monogamous, too.  But now that Nightlife has come along the whole dating and relationship thing has changed and here I am in a neighborhood full of already paired up couples for the most part!

It's made me re-think my carefully laid plans.

I've got a male couple where one is bi (Logan) and he's ready to jump ship with the single girl who lives across the street (Rachel). They met in college. She's a romance sim, and he went from popularity to pleasure sim.  The chemistry between him and his boyfriend (Scott) is fine, but she outscores Scott by a huge amount on the LTR for Logan.

Then I've got this straight couple, Todd and Roxanna.  They just got married and she got pregnant before I installed Nightlife.  I thought of them as "made for each other", and they are just as sweet as anything with 100/100 relationship scores for each other. And they both come from long-run families in my game.  So then I install Nightlife, set their turn-ons and turn-offs to compliment each other... and they only have "weak" chemistry.  One lightning bolt.   Huh  After she has her baby, I have them try for another.  Two attempts and not only no baby chime but their woo-hooing has no fireworks!  I then forced the pregnancy to happen with a cheat, and she gave birth to a baby boy.

One other gay couple (from the legacy family) also seemed to have a pretty happy marriage with one kid already.  Then while I'm playing a single gay male (Leo, a family sim) going out on the town for dating, he meets the half of the couple who's also a family sim (Charlie).  They have three lightning bolts, and after some mind interaction with each other Charlie keeps showing up at Leo's house and ringing the doorbell or calling and asking to go out.  Now I was very reluctant to indulge this and trying to figure out why would a married family sim behave this way?  So I kinda let things develop organically.  Leo got into a big altercation in front of his house with the local mean-guy sim who kicked over his trash can.  Afterward he called Charlie and they met at the 50's Diner.  They had a "Dream Date" and even though they went back to Leo's, Leo wouldn't have him come inside. They made out by the front door and Charlie went home.  Then Leo got roses from him... (sigh)

In all my families, I develop back-stories to fill in the "why" questions for things happening the way they do.

Logan is simply a flake. He's an broadway star actor, stunningly handsome, and a playboy.  He's already pissed off Scott with his shenanigans with Rachel, and Rachel is just aching to put a Logan-notch on her bedpost.  It remains yet to be seen if Logan and Rachel just have a fling or stay together, but Scott (a really sweet guy in many respects) is just going to have to join the single crowd again.

Todd and Roxanna are going to find that the initial pizzazz they thought they had is just not deep enough.  They'll likely carry on for awhile but I think times ahead are going to be rough for them.  Sometimes the best laid plans just don't work out, just like in real life.

Charlie and his husband Brandon are an interesting case.  They only have medium chemistry.  Brandon is kind of a odd guy, but likable.  I can only interperet Charlie's affair as a deep-seated dissatisfaction with Brandon despite the fact that they have *another* kid on the way.  I feel fairly certain they will break up and Charlie will gravitate to Leo.  Who gets the kids will be interesting. One of the kids will be next in line to carry on my legacy gay-family's next generation.  Brandon, I'm thinking, would be the perfect candidate to let this experience nurse his bitterness and raise a cowplant since I haven't had one in my game yet.  I'm not going to let it eat Charlie or Leo, but I keep thinking Brandon might turn psychotic and feed some townie dates to it.  He really doesn't have chemistry so far with anyone except Charlie for some reason.
« Last Edit: 2005 September 25, 16:41:51 by AllenABQ » Logged
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005 September 25, 22:06:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well since others are explaining.

My base neighboorhoods always begin with a few lots of homeless people in the outskirts. I make them all random and then boolprop to lower thier social and hygene to the bottom. Then I never load them up again. That way you have lots of very friendly very smelly poor people bothering you every time you go to a comm lot. Since theya re far away from the main area they rarely show up near houses.

Then I add the whore house, meat market, and breeding stock. These lots contain high class whores (all romance), low class whores in peep show style rooms, and a pimp who breeds and raises family sims for sale and breeding.

To round out my background sims I add a few lots of trailer parks with 8 sims each.

So I now have at least 20 or so romance sims wandering around, lots of stinky people, and random trash.

From there I add what I will play.

My current town has-

The showcase family of the town, who are part of the "cuckold/blackwidow challenge" that I never bothered writing up since it would have probbably gotten me banned from the BBS for being damn funny, and naughty.

A pedophile priest who lives with his young "ward".

A urine soaked maniac.

"Joe Morality" a Morman

A youth shelter

Paul Shaeffer and David Letterman as a gay couple.

A very butch/femme stereotype lesbian family

A complete slut who is now at over 50 woo hoos, with a painting of every person she has woo hooed.

The very first family I made, with the wife who is sleeping with 3 women in town, the asshole husband who claims to be an artist but just paints pictures of his affair's asses in panties, and his creepy brother.

The girlfriend of the previous brother accross the street, and then her related family throughout the town.

Her triplet slut sororitute sisters at Uni.

An artist family who breed nonstop and maintain plat levels through selling paintings and constant use of drugs (well the energizer, but we know what that is). 4 kids so far and the only time they have slept was after woo hoo for makeing babies. They have eaten a birthday cake but thats all.

Buffallo Bill from Silence of the Lambs (he helped destroy my original hood by making the char file GROW, poor dead townies)

a 2 lot Juvenile detention center.

A fat geeky guy in a teenage mutant ninja turtles shirt who married an insane japanese girl, then they made a baby. Her family is spread through the town too.

3 Sims wearing Star Trek uniforms. 2 are fat geeky males with romance aspiration, the third is the unexplainably hot female roomate who has fat as a turn off and is a knowl.

The characters from the BBC series "Bottom" and "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie", and Papa Lazarouz from League of Gentleman (you're MY WIFE NOW!!!)

A goth asshole who is now a vampire.

The tinkle family from Wigu. I will soon add J.Ro, WeedmasterP and baby. Maybe the poopmeister etc too.

Thats all off the top of my head. I recently had to remake it since I had a fireball of death. So they are all meeting each other again, but I saved the best lots.

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2005 September 26, 00:03:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sanmonroe . . . that is absolutely hilarious. I may have to try something like that.

I have about 20 neighborhoods, most of which have maybe 2 sims. So morality doesn't come up that often.

I do have a couple that I've actually played for an extended period of time. One, Ariya, is a semi-utopian "ah-hah! We never sleep! Ever! AH HAHAHAHAH!!! More caffeine!" pre-Nightlife neighborhood, because I nuked it when I started it, so it has no Townies and I want to keep it that way. The first game-born sims are starting to have kids themselves now. That one doesn't have any romance sims, and at least for now no messyness or infidelities. I really need to play a neighborhood that actually has romance sims and whatnot.
AllenABQ
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2005 September 26, 01:32:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sanmonroe...

Thanks (hic!) for that. You had me laughing so hard that I got the hiccups!

Cheesy
(hic!)
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2005 September 26, 02:12:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of the stuff has somehow managed to survive on the exchange for nearly a year.

If you are going ot play the sims 2, why not play a normal society? I do. The infidelity rate in the US is well over 60%.

People are mostly corrupt, selfish, horney, bastards. So are my sims! All this happy lovey shit is dull.

Although the first time I played I used the teen woo hoo and no jelousy hacks. But then when I would play certain families I would turn it off. Made for a laugh.

The nightlife reactions are great imo. There seem to be 2 fights every time I go to a comm lot, and I have only been playing this remake for 3 days.

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2005 September 26, 02:53:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine tend to be fairly monogamous, except for Romance Sims (Nina Caliente's the town hussy).  Although my latest Le Gassey romance heir is going to be monogamous whether he likes it or not.  To fellow Romance townie Jill Philippine! (she's a downtownie teen I've sent to college with Ben Le Gassey - is that still ok in the 'rules'?)

Haven't had a homosexual relationship ingame, although Nina is working on her old gardener Calista Despret (hubby Komei would be crushed.  Marrying Nina off to Komei was a bit of an impulse decision on my part - I don't think either of them particularly wanted it but he does adore Nina.  Oh well, a break up will be in order once Nina gets caught with Calista.  And she will.  I'll make sure of it).  But yeah, I kinda like seeing the genetics play out which can't really happen in a gay relationship (without a hack)

<insert witty comment here>
Niomi
Asinine Airhead

WTFBBQzoxx

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2005 September 26, 16:25:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of my sims are monogamous, others are not. The only morality I keep them to is that I nearly always have them breed, because for some reason I can't stand having many sims with no family history. When I make CAS sims I usually make them toddlers and kill off the adult with them, then have one of my gay couples adopt them.

!!!!
AllenABQ
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2005 September 26, 16:32:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of my sims are monogamous, others are not. The only morality I keep them to is that I nearly always have them breed, because for some reason I can't stand having many sims with no family history. When I make CAS sims I usually make them toddlers and kill off the adult with them, then have one of my gay couples adopt them.

When you do this, does the game favor handing out kids for adoption who were once with families ahead of random ones?
Ruann
Dimwitted Dunce

An overactive male imagination

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2005 September 26, 18:21:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you do this, does the game favor handing out kids for adoption who were once with families ahead of random ones?

The game should always pull Social Worker Abductees before creating random CAS uglies for adoption purposes.  Provided one is available for the appropriate age group, of course.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2005 September 26, 19:42:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game should always pull Social Worker Abductees before creating random CAS uglies for adoption purposes.  Provided one is available for the appropriate age group, of course.

I did this for a while in my game.  Had a single beautiful woman that I bred with Dustin Broke and the Grim Reaper.  I then walled her off in her bedroom till the social worker came for the children.  She wouldn't come while they were neglected babies though.  Maybe I need to have her go to work or something to get them to take the babies.  That way, I populated my adoption agency with pretty babies.  I also used the twins/triplets/quads hack to get four at a time.  It is DANG hard to ignore those little pixel babies though, let me tell you.  The neighbors would keep wandering by and worrying over the toddlers playing in the garbage.

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Howabominable
Asinine Airhead

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2005 September 26, 20:02:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want my sims to live their dreams. When one of my sims goes into aspirational failure it's depressing. I don't mind making romance sims, I just make them woohoo all the ugly townies that I don't want in my other sims' gene pools. Romance sims are the "janitors" of the neighborhood. They're always the sims that are simply ugly and have bad genetics, or if there are too many sims in that generation I "sacrifice" one so that the others can pass on their genes and have more children.

I don't have my sims cheat, unless they're romance sims. I don't see the point. When I choose a spouse for my sim, I choose it for life. Yeah, it sometimes gets boring when all my sims' dreams come true, but I'm happier that way. Seeing a sim treating a sack of flour like a baby is really depressing to me, it almost makes me want to cry lol.

Today I experimented with giving my sim a bad date, and I found it it wasn't too hard LOL. I had 5 boquets of roses around the house and I didn't know what to do with them all!
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2005 September 26, 23:10:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm big into the adoption story lines (probably because I'm adopted and my husband adopted my young children after my first husband died.)  I hate killing off Sims, though, so for what it's worth, this is what I do:

I made a familly named Adoption-Pool with one adult and five CAS kids/babies.  Moved them into a house and then immediately used Inge's shrub (love that shrub!!) to put the kids up for adoption.  After Parental Unit (yes Parental Unit Adoption-Pool) was left childless, I moved him back into my Sims bin. 

As I need children to adopt, my kids come up.  When I run out, I'll make more that way...bloodless, fly-less. Smiley

Yay!

------
P.S.  I'm regretting my title for this thread.  It should have been Your Values & The Sims.  The word "morality" has more of a right/wrong connotation than I was going for.

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
Witches
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: 2005 September 27, 16:11:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All very interesting perspectives ... I'm a newcomer and have been enjoying catching up on some of these threads.

I don't impose my own sense of morals on my sims. It's a game, and games should be fun. Fun for me means variety, so I let my sims decide their own moral codes.

For example: Sheldon the mailman is a player sim in my game, and a complete jerk. He's a meanie who taunted his stepson so his wife left him. He didn't even care, took up with Andrea Hogan, who is a bit of a slut, the next day. They're both fortune sims, crass, rude and obnoxious, with good taste in decorating. Contrast with my "player" money sim who is a fairly nice person, if a bit of an ice princess. Things just roll right off of her. She's permanent platinum, a good mom, on good terms with everyone, a very even keel person who is happy so long as her surroundings are lovely.

I had a romance sim couple who cheated on each other constantly and then suddenly got lovey-dovey in their old age. Their constant bickering scarred their oldest daughter for life. She's romance too but will never settle down ... yes, I'm projecting a bit, I know they're just little pixels, but what fun is that? Their son, on the other hand, got the benefit of the lovey-dovey years. They became elders when he was just a child. So he's very stable and wants to settle down with a nice girl ... and picked Dad's second wife, who's twice his age ... I never said he was normal.

And so on. Every sim has their own preferences. You just need to figure out what they are and have fun with it. I plan for a very tragic time in college for my next round of young adults ... mayhem, madness, possibly even murder ...

Just like to keep things interesting ...  Grin

Visit The Sims 2 Writer's Block for stories about the sims.
Jarsie
Pinheaded Pissant

Chihuahuas rule and other dogs drool!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2005 September 27, 20:20:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maximus March is the oldest son, natural born therefore African American.  He's an adult now, quite successful in Science, and married to a beautiful CAS with one child of his own.  As a knowledge Sim, he'd never been about appearance...he wore polo shirts and pants, had close cropped hair and a very earnest expression. 

When he became so successful, I gave him a makeover.  He has nice cornrow hair, sharp sunglasses and a tan leather jacket outfit.  He looks like a successful black man, not a successful black man dressed like a typical white man, if you know what I mean.  The makeover matched his level of personal confidence, I thought.

If you're Black, and making the above comments, then you're forgiven for what I would otherwise consider one of the most condescending racist comments I've seen in a long time. Because if you're Black and that's what you consider the epitome of what a successful Black person should wear, more power to you.

However, if you're White, and you can't see the stereotype you just put up there about how you feel a successful Black person should dress: namely like someone in one of those Black exploitation films that were so popular in the 70's and 80's....well, there's not much I can say except...get real! Your son called it like he saw it, and he was so right.

I attended Texas Southern University, an historically Black University in Houston, Texas. TSU's motto is "Excellence in Achievement." It has the best School of Pharmacy in the nation. The late Barbara Jordan was a graduate of TSU. So was the late Thurgood Marshall, which has a school of law named after him on the TSU campus. My professors may have worn corn rows and afros, but they were also required to wear a shirt and tie. Even the female profs wore nice dresses and business suits. Some of them may have worn dashikis, and other such traditional garb, but it was not an every day thing.

This is an inner city school, and they saw it as their job to prepare their young charges for the real world, namely Corporate America, where there was and still is a shortage of Black Americans. And in corporate America you wear suits and ties, and if you're female, you look professional and sharp....something that it looks like you consider to be a crime.  That's not the way my profs saw it. They saw it as beating the White man at his own game. To succeed in this life you have to be ten times as good and ten times as smart. That's what they taught, and that's what the kids learned.

Having said that, I'll leave you with this question: Since you seem to have a clear idea of what a successful Black man should look like....how about telling me what a successful Black woman should dress like? Or a successful Hispanic man and woman? Or even...a successful Oriental man and woman?

Please enlighten me. After all, I wouldn't want to go around having all my successful ethnic Sims dressing like successful White folks. Heaven forbid! Let's keep the racial stereotypes coming, folks!

MATY Buddies: Everyone on Ms. Perception's buddy list, plus the *other* Ferrets and Kookiedoe. And now Ausimpv just because it will piss a certain stupidone off, and because she asked me nicely. Oh, and Theisz, just cause I felt like adding her to my MATY buddies list.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: