More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 26, 11:48:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Question for restarting
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Question for restarting  (Read 11552 times)
moniquinin
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Question for restarting
« on: 2007 February 06, 09:57:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok so I had to dump my whole game and reinstall everything and I'm wondering what is the optimal amount of sims/families to start with initially?  No more than x but at least y, as guidance is what I'm looking for.  I'm playing Pleasantview for now and am going to install Uni, NL, OFB, Pets.

Thanks!

1. I am a Mac person so DO NOT refer me to Simpe!!!!
2. English is NOT my first language so please forgive any mistakes.
3. My dog loves to eat chicken shit.
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Re: Question for restarting
« Reply #1 on: 2007 February 06, 11:57:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I say start with whatever amount you want.  In my case i started with 1 man and spanned the family out to 9-10 generations through kids i now have about 5 main houses from the same family line which include white people, black people, aliens and a vampire.
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 06, 12:04:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Somebody recomended starting with 40 families, and that works quite well for me, keeps the gene pool diverse

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 06, 12:25:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Somebody recomended starting with 40 families, and that works quite well for me, keeps the gene pool diverse

I'm guessing that would be for neighbourhoods that have no townies?  Either way i think it'd be hell to keep 40 families in time sync.  I keep mine all in sync and i already find it a bit annoying that i can't just play 15+ days on a family.
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 06, 15:25:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I started out with only two Sims, and add Sims as needed, but if you want the smallest amount of families to start out with initially, I'd go with four, which is enough to keep things from getting incestuous.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 06, 15:36:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have done the no-townie hacks, but now I like Townie Roulette. Will the offspring end up startlingly attactive, or unspeakably hideous? Only the Gods of Sim-genetics can say.

Plus, I am unspeakably lazy when it comes to how I sim.

I love the split in attitudes among players. Some people are like, "Townies, meh," while others are all, "UNCLEAN, UNCLEAN!" It's like most of the game is populated with a leperous underclass.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 06, 15:49:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, for good reason. Have you seen them? Besides, I don't particularly like how the townies seem to have no relatives and seemingly crawled out of the swamp. Actually, if you could point me in the nearest direction of said no-townie hacks, I'd be grateful.
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 06, 16:20:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, for good reason. Have you seen them? Besides, I don't particularly like how the townies seem to have no relatives and seemingly crawled out of the swamp. Actually, if you could point me in the nearest direction of said no-townie hacks, I'd be grateful.

Check the Armory.

Personally i like townies but i don't like UGLY townies, i carefully screen all my sims and any deemed too ugly get killed or don't get a chance to produce offspring.  I got a horde of ugly townies that i have no idea what i'm gonna do with, i'll probably marry em off to sims that won't have kids or kill them that's the only thing i can see that will end up happening.
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 06, 16:47:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All that offers is a fix for townie/npc move-in amnesia. I have a hack that keeps them from respawning, I believe, and may just kill them all off when I have enough playable Sims in my neighborhood. That and I still don't want freaky people who seemingly just converged in a swamp screwing up family trees.
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 February 06, 17:58:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My favorite hood ever I started emtpy to do the 10 kid challenge. I was just going to delete the whole hood afterwards. Instead it became the only hood I play. I just fell in love with each of those 10 kids and had to run them through college, get them married, etc. I named them alphabetically, and as other families have joined I've continued so I can keep them in sync. Currently I have A through K houses.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 February 06, 18:45:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs/pets/hacks (or the name of your last expansion pack instead of pets)

Also get Nailati's face templates as they come out.  No more ugly townies!
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 February 06, 20:50:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How many families you start with would depend on whether you want the neighborhood to be self-sufficient or dependent on townie DNA. I don't like breeding with townies/NPCs, so I always start with enough sims to make it possible to breed for at least 5 generations before any sim runs out of potential mates because everyone is related.

If you start with 3 couples, you will not get past the second generation before you need to add townie DNA to the mix. If you start with 4 couples, you can get up a third generation. This is a simple calculation:

Generation 1 - 3 couples
SimA+SimB=SimAB
SimC+SimD=SimCD
SimE+SimF=SimEF

Generation 2
SimAB+SimCD
SimAB+SimEF
SimCD+SimEF

Generation 3
NONE POSSIBLE

Fail.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 February 06, 21:50:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love the split in attitudes among players. Some people are like, "Townies, meh," while others are all, "UNCLEAN, UNCLEAN!" It's like most of the game is populated with a leperous underclass.
I'm probably between the two. I see them as an underclass, but the aversion to them stems more from the fact that the options are either to have them continue to spawn ad-infinitum, or eventually wipe out them out of existence, and neither option is entirely satisfactory.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 February 06, 22:37:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When starting a new 'hood I tend to use Prosperity Challenge rules to determine how many families I have, and how many sims are in each of those families.

Basically its just rolling a die.  Roll it to see how many families you have.  Then roll the die again for each family to see how many sims in the family.  Then for each sim roll for their age, gender, aspiration, etc.

I don't play the hood as a Prosperity Challenge, I just use this at the set up stage.  I have no objection to my sims marrying townies/dormies/downtownies or most of the NPCs, as their existence means I have sufficient characters in the game for my sims to interact with.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 February 06, 23:17:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I start with three families but as I have no objection to my sims pairing up with townies, it doesn't limit the gene pool. I've customised the townies to look how I want. My problem is I tend to lose interest once the families are well off, I prefer to play starter families, so I usually add one or two along the way. Then the second generation starts marrying out and before I know it I have ten families to play and sync.  Roll Eyes

I've got over starting offspring from babies though, I usually create the founder families with children or teens rather than babies or toddlers.

ETA: Rolling the die sounds like a good way to randomise, might try that.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 February 07, 02:29:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm guessing that would be for neighbourhoods that have no townies?  Either way i think it'd be hell to keep 40 families in time sync.  I keep mine all in sync and i already find it a bit annoying that i can't just play 15+ days on a family.

Well I don't play without townies, but I dont let my playables breed with them.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
moniquinin
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 February 07, 05:38:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am not understanding - how can you choose to not play with townies?  Don't they just show up?

The last game that now I have to dump I started with 18 sims/families and it was a chore to have them all synced.  I never really got to play past two sim days because I wanted them all to be moved in, employed and the ones I wanted to be, knocked up (not with each other but with either NPCs or townies since I'm curious as to what would come out) before really starting.  Can you really not play with townies?

1. I am a Mac person so DO NOT refer me to Simpe!!!!
2. English is NOT my first language so please forgive any mistakes.
3. My dog loves to eat chicken shit.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 February 07, 05:50:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's possible to make a neighbourhood without townies, including adding downtown, uni, etc without adding downtownies and dormies.  There's a thread over in Peasantry that gives more information on how to create a neighbourhood without getting the Pleasantview standard townies and another thread containing blank subhoods (i.e. downtown, bluewater, the unis all without non-playable characters).  If you add in Pescados no regen hacks, then you never have townies, downtownies or dormies in your game at all.

Personally I like townies (just not the Maxis default ones).  They're good for my sims' businesses.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 February 07, 06:47:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like some of the townies and other ones I don't even let my sims associate with. But lately I have been playing a neighborhood where all the townies were ejected before I moved anyone in. I like having all new townies to deal wtih, but I miss a few of my old favorites. It is a shame that the character files are not given character names & pictures so you could pick and choose which townies you dump and which you keep.

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 February 07, 08:25:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sure I will have tomatoes thrown at me until I flee, but I would actually miss some of those dumbasses. Benjamin Long is a homewrecker (he only goes for men, though). Everyone brings Goopy home from work and then takes turns poking and jeering at him.

If it wasn't for townies, I wouldn't be able to let anything bad happen to my sims. I can't experiment on Sims I've created myself and have gotten attached to. Who would be my punching bag?

Waitaminit...*runs off to download Pescado*

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 February 07, 09:23:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...I never really got to play past two sim days ...

Apart from the very first hood I had, (which I played for months, then it blew up), I have never managed to get a hood past 30 simdays. The second generation is usually about to have kids when it either blows up or I move to a new hood where I've been tinkering with something else.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 February 07, 11:46:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't mind townies, and some of them do make decent looking kids.  The only thing that gets me after a while is the townies never growing up -- it gets silly when three generations have the same teen as their first kiss.  Roll Eyes  But our own Syberspunk has fixed that with his 'Grow up townies' hack (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,4842.0.html), so now I have a way to age the ones I want to and eventually have new townies come up behind them.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Eggs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 February 07, 12:08:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of the two hoods I actually play, one blew up in the 2nd generation, so I never really saw townie genetics. Although, I keep them there anyway.

Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 February 07, 12:46:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't mind townies, and some of them do make decent looking kids.  The only thing that gets me after a while is the townies never growing up -- it gets silly when three generations have the same teen as their first kiss.  Roll Eyes  But our own Syberspunk has fixed that with his 'Grow up townies' hack (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,4842.0.html), so now I have a way to age the ones I want to and eventually have new townies come up behind them.

I forgot about this! I should use this. It sounds fun.

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 February 07, 13:56:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...I never really got to play past two sim days ...

Apart from the very first hood I had, (which I played for months, then it blew up), I have never managed to get a hood past 30 simdays. The second generation is usually about to have kids when it either blows up or I move to a new hood where I've been tinkering with something else.

I still play one that I started when Uni was released. Some of those families are 14 or 15 (maybe even 16 by now... haven't really kept track lately) generations. I play it at least three or four hours a week, and it's one of my favorites.

I haven't really had that many neighborhoods literally blow up on me. A couple have suffered the inexplicable "vanished from screen" glitch and couldn't be fixed. Another one blew up due to rampant overpopulation before I knew that too many sims was really bad and didn't yet know how to clean it up. Other than that, any neighborhood I've wanted to last, has lasted. I do regularly abandon neighborhoods though. I get bored and just delete them and start new ones. But that isn't the same as a neighborhood inexplicably blowing up soon after being started.

Fail.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: