More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 27, 18:09:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Fitness levels
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Fitness levels  (Read 18634 times)
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: Fitness levels
« Reply #25 on: 2006 August 07, 17:11:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rainbow, observe Mortimer, and Olive Specter, compared to General Grunt: Olive dies at 63 years old, Mortimer - at 65; both of them with low fitness. But Grunt reaches 72-78 years, with full fitness.

Olive and Mort are not valid benchmarks, because they're designed by Maxis to die shortly after you start playing them -- especially Olive, who's scripted for it in the scenario. It's a simple matter to change the 'days left' of a sim using editing tools like SimPE or insimenator.

The real benchmark would be to have two b-i-g twins, one fat and one fit, and see how long they live with all other things being equal (esp. their asp level at transition to elder).  Then do the same with another set of b-i-g twins, both fit, but one gold and one platinum at transition.

It would probably take a while to get results, but it would be a more valid test than relying on how Maxis has programmed the pre-mades.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 August 07, 17:14:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never realised that lack of interest in food was a Scorpio thing, but clearly it is.

Scorpio is seemingly the only sign that will willingly deprive themselves of something others seem to enjoy.

Oh, please, people, are you being serious? You actually believe in horoscopes? Can you please explain to me how the movement of star constellations has any effect on our lives? Especially since the horoscope system nowadays is based on incorrect movement of stars, anyway.

For the record, I'm a "Scorpio", too, and I love eating.

Rainbow, observe Mortimer, and Olive Specter, compared to General Grunt: Olive dies at 63 years old, Mortimer - at 65; both of them with low fitness. But Grunt reaches 72-78 years, with full fitness. It has nothing to do with aspiration. All my created sims, with 10 body skills, live until 72-75 years.

This is not big enough a sample to prove the theory about fitness points affecting life span, though. There is always randomness in how many days of life elders get, but a large part of it is based on their aspiration level at the age of transitioning.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 August 07, 17:17:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even my Sims who are in the culinary track or have unbelievably high cooking skills remain terribly skinny. That and, as far as I know, Scorpio is seemingly the only sign that will willingly deprive themselves of something others seem to enjoy. Of course, there are many other aspects to astrology than just sun signs. Anyway, I best not derail this thread with all the crap I know about astrology.
Indulgence costs money, and hardship builds character.

As for sleeping, I put off going to bed until the very last minute, but then when I'm finally there it's almost impossible to get me out.  Luckily, I am one of those people who never put on weight, otherwise I would probably be fat as I never exercise (unless you count walking to the corner shop).
I hate sleep, too. This is why I snort pure caffeine and never sleep.

Oh, please, people, are you being serious? You actually believe in horoscopes? Can you please explain to me how the movement of star constellations has any effect on our lives? Especially since the horoscope system nowadays is based on incorrect movement of stars, anyway.

For the record, I'm a "Scorpio", too, and I love eating.
Well, sure, horoscopes are bunkus, but you're a strange and weird IgnorantBliss.

This is not big enough a sample to prove the theory about fitness points affecting life span, though. There is always randomness in how many days of life elders get, but a large part of it is based on their aspiration level at the age of transitioning.
It's entirely based on aspiration-level at transition: 10-20 days random, +aspirational. Some freakish resets have been known to cause the duration to be recomputed, but this is how it's supposed to work according to code. Fitness has no effect.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 August 07, 17:23:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's entirely based on aspiration-level at transition: 10-20 days random, +aspirational. Some freakish resets have been known to cause the duration to be recomputed, but this is how it's supposed to work according to code. Fitness has no effect.

Yeah, that's what I meant, that there is a random amount of days added on top of the aspirational bonus. So, you can't really say that it's entirely based on aspiration, right?

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 August 07, 17:24:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The random 10-20 is a base. The aspiration is the modifier.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 August 07, 17:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I was under the impression that there is the starting point of 10 days, then days get added or removed based on aspiration level. And then, on top of that, 1-10 days are added randomly. And that the random days added have nothing to do with aspiration.

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 August 07, 17:31:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you're both saying pretty much the same thing.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 August 07, 17:36:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I realized that, too   Roll Eyes I guess I was confused by his word choice when he said it's entirely based on aspiration.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 August 07, 17:37:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is. The only variable that is aspiration. No other sim-variables affect it, and all other factors are constants and invariant from sim to sim.

IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 August 07, 17:43:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems by "variable" you mean a factor that we can have an effect on. Random doesn't count as a variable?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 August 07, 17:45:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems by "variable" you mean a factor that we can have an effect on. Random doesn't count as a variable?
Not from the programmatical viewpoint, no. Those are all determined entirely by constants.

IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 August 07, 17:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, ok. You win.

Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 August 07, 19:09:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tend to get the occasional fat sim because I like having my sims eat together whenever possible. It's a good group interaction to get social and relationships up for everyone in the family/house. It's also something I consider an important family thing. Families should eat together.

The one thing I wish that I could do wiht meals, though, is declare how many are getting served, rather than the default '6' servings. Sometimes the family has more than 6 people, sometimes they have guests, sometimes there's only 2 or 3 sims and the other servings are going to go to waste. I don't think I've seen a hack that addresses this.

ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 August 07, 19:58:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dizzy had a hack for this, but I've forgotten where. Prob'ly MTS2. It isn't officially upgraded for OFB, but results may vary whether it works or not.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 August 07, 20:08:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I keep forgetting that I can put food in inventory now.  Sometimes I tell a not-very-hungry sim to eat just because a meal has been prepared that will go bad before he needs it.  Letting prepared food go to waste annoys me.  But the time inefficiency of each sim preparing one serving annoys me, too.

Now playing: UNI, NL, OFB, & Pets
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 August 07, 20:28:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I tend to use the inventory more now and have them Make Many and store several platters away.  I don't use Dizzy's hack because I've been told that since it hasn't been updated for OFB, you don't get the options to Make/Make Many.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 August 07, 21:33:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If only real life fitness were so easy to achieve.

My stomach is the bane of my fitness efforts. I'd be a size 2 if it weren't for my tummy. An entire month of (admittedly casual) exercising and it's still as flabby as ever.

Lucky sims... A few hours on the treadmill and poof!, washboard abs... Angry
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 August 07, 23:28:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game itself tells you that the aspiration is the defining aspect of life span:

So-and-so became a teenager while being a child protege (or something close to that). Then it says, and this is verbatim:

Life for [sim] couldn't get any better, or longer.

I tell them to make many, and stash them as well. Great for the kids and teenies when they come home from school. It's far quicker and they can get more done when they don't have to take half the day to cook lunch for themselves.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Kokopelli
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 August 08, 00:19:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sims eat pork chops, salmon, turkey, anything when their hunger bar goes down a tiny bit. I could be busy with another sim and catch a sim raiding the fridge. I guess very active sims need food alot but every minute? Angry

Welcome to the dark side, don't forget your flashlight.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 August 08, 00:46:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sims eat pork chops, salmon, turkey, anything when their hunger bar goes down a tiny bit. I could be busy with another sim and catch a sim raiding the fridge. I guess very active sims need food alot but every minute? Angry

I've found that my sims do the same thing.

I put it down to them being bored  Wink

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 August 08, 00:50:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It has to do with the way sims see all motives as continuous, rather than discrete, which is a bad way to handle energy/hunger: While the motive bar itself is continuous, the actual way it should be HANDLED is a discrete, binary process: Hungry/not hungry, tired/not tired.

Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 August 08, 05:11:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If only real life fitness were so easy to achieve.

My stomach is the bane of my fitness efforts. I'd be a size 2 if it weren't for my tummy. An entire month of (admittedly casual) exercising and it's still as flabby as ever.

Lucky sims... A few hours on the treadmill and poof!, washboard abs... Angry

Yes, but, if one Sim day was equivalent to one year, imagine how many weeks they must have been exercising for. That and they're entirely committed throughout the entire interaction.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 August 08, 09:09:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try running everywhere. Check that "always run" box and give up on walking anywhere further than 5 feet. If it works for video game people, it can work for you. I mean, when have you ever seen a video game character WALKING? In any online game, if you WALK instead of run, people look at you funny, stare, point, and go, "Look at that guy. He's WALKING. What a newb!". You should probably learn something from thus. Only freaks walk. Who says video games don't teach you anything?

Frankenbeasley
The Preacher
Uncouth Undesirable

Diabolic Avocado

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 August 08, 11:25:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I must admit that, since OFB, hardly any of my Sims have eaten at all. As soon as I can get a Sim up to Gold in Flower Arranging then it's Snapdragon Bouquets all the way.

I have an end table with a Snapdragon on each side of every bed. I have a Snapdragon on the desk beside every computer. The workbenches are in cubicles that hold two bouquets and two benches each. There is a bouquet beside each Career Reward object and beside each telescope. The only thing my Sims have to do is raise their energy - and that's what coffee is for.

I don't think my last ten or twelve Sims have eaten anything between becoming children and going to Uni. I make sure they take some Snapdragons there, too. The actually come out out of writing term-papers refreshed if you place them right.

Not dead but gone by four.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006 August 08, 11:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've just started using Snapdragons, and I'm trying to figure out the best placement for them.  How close to the sim do they have to be?  Does it refresh all motives except energy equally?  Does having more boost the effect, or does more than one have no effect?  I tried putting a snapdragon by the computer my sim doing her term paper at, and she finished all in one sitting.  This was even when she was on College Rampage, and it didn't send her to eat, pee, or kick gnomes.  But I am interested in learning more about how to maximize their effectiveness.  Smiley 

Are there any threads that someone could point me to where this may have already been discussed?  I skipped a lot of threads when OFB first came out because I didn't have it installed and the stuff people were talking about didn't make much sense to me then.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: