More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 28, 10:30:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Stupid townie question - not the usual suspects
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Stupid townie question - not the usual suspects  (Read 14138 times)
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
Stupid townie question - not the usual suspects
« on: 2006 July 20, 01:05:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Feel free to point and laugh.  Prodding with sticks may be required as well.

I decided to really get revenge on the townies and create a custom neightborhood of just townies.  I called it Town-E-Town (aka Killville).  My intention was to take the horrid townies and see how many ways I could mess with them.  I figured it would be a way to see how long it takes to kill a sim using various methods.  (I've only had a couple of sims die in any way but old age, but those were rescued from the Grim Reaper by loved ones.)  I can't kill my own!

I decided my starting point would be to send the townie teens to college.  But to my surprise, there weren't any of the usual suspects!  No Tosha Go, Orlando Centowski, or Ricky Cormier.  Some with the same faces, but different names.

Any other custom hood I've started has had the same old townies.  (I have all 3 EPs)  I started another custom hood not long after I got OFB and that one had the default townies, so why not this one? 

The one thing I didn't do with this one was make a CAS sim, since I don't want any in this hood.  Just townies, to mangle as I please. 

Is it possible that by not having any other sims present, the hood created truly random names with the same old faces?  I'm hoping that as these die off, the old culprits will return, but if not, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might need to do to get them?  Like, would just creating a sim in CAS and leaving him in the sim bin be a way to generate the usual, horrid townie crew?

You may begin your laughter now.

Edited to fix name mangling.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 20, 01:46:02 by ElviraGoth » Logged

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Stupid townie question - not the usual suspects
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 20, 01:13:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had this happen before, and I didn't quite understand it either, but it didn't bother me.

No, these are your townies and you won't get the same ole Pleasantview townies in this neighbourhood.  I'f you've just made it, you may want to try and make another new one to see what you get there.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 20, 01:53:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It didn't bother me, either, that they weren't the regular guys.  In fact, there are some in this hood who are better looking than the usual townies, and a couple of them I kind of like, so far.  So I'll probably get them in the Nat. Sci. career and get some nice, hungry cowplants going.

I may try making one by starting off with a CAS sim and putting him in the bin, just to see if that makes a difference. 

I've been playing these guys long enough for them to be juniors at Uni, so I guess I've been working on this one for about a month.  (That's about how long it takes to rotate through all my hoods for that many days!)

Thanks, BlueSoup.  I thought as much (about not getting the usual guys) but - hey, it was worth asking, anyway.

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 20, 02:32:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Elvira, I had the same experience, when OFB was installed in my game, and I openned a new hood. I couldn't meet any of the usual teens - no Randy London, who was regular visitor, and passed each day, no Meadow, no Ricki Cormier, and no many regular main characters - especially Komei!

When I uninstalled OFB, and openned a new hood only with NL installed - all of them appeared again.

But I have to say, that the OFB teen males were much prettier.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 20, 02:35:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine happened before Nightlife was out.  Or maybe very shortly after, but probably before.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 20, 03:04:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gali, I know what you mean about the OFB teen males.  (oops! almost typo'd that as meals!)  I have one whose name is Ramin Barthelet and he's pretty cute!  He's one of the ones I will probably let grow old, as well as the girl he attached himself to.

But now I have another question:  I thought the cow mascots were girls and the llamas were guys.  They always have been in my other hoods.  I just had a cow mascot go into the girls' shower in the dorm, and when 'it' spun into nakedness, it was a guy! 

He/she must be confused.

Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 20, 04:08:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any picture of the "Ramin Barthelet?"
I reserve my skepticsm till a picture is shown  Roll Eyes

Go Away
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 July 20, 08:27:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Llamas are always male, cheerleaders are always female. (Think of them as male/female versions of the same.)
Cows are both genders: there are no 'evil cheerleaders'.

As for the naming mystery, if for some reason there is any Sim present after generating a 'hood the game will not import the Pleasantview Posse. Any townies present will be generated, and thus have sadorandom names.
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 July 20, 08:38:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...there are no 'evil cheerleaders'.

Sez you  Tongue
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 July 20, 18:46:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Best sadorandom townie name ever? Kacper London.

Seriously, Maxis, Kacper? I want to put him in a story just to make fun of it.

Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 July 20, 19:12:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I do believe that is a German variation on the spelling of the name, so it's not -that- far out there. Wink

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 July 20, 20:02:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Kacper Bear in my game-he is a downtownie teen Cheesy

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 July 20, 20:10:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

German variation on what name? Shithouse?

I know Casper/Kasper/Kaspar is a name, but none of them are spelt with a c in the middle.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 July 20, 20:50:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Kacper is Polish.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 July 20, 20:50:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

German variation on what name? Shithouse?

I know Casper/Kasper/Kaspar is a name, but none of them are spelt with a c in the middle.

Okay. I take that as a challenge. Not every language handles pronunciations and spellings like English.

http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=kacper
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467261/bio
http://my.opera.com/Kacper/about/

And I was wrong. It wasn't German. It was Polish.

"As for Kasprzak, it is pronounced roughly "KOSP-zhock." It means literally "little Casper, son of Casper," and there were 16,744 Poles by that name in 1990. As with most surnames from popular first names, this one is common all over the country. There isn't one big Kasprzak family, but dozens or hundreds of individual ones that all came by the name independently, because around the time surnames were being established, a Kasper or Kacper was prominent enough that his kin were referred to by his name."
(From http://www.polishroots.org/surnames/surnames_40.htm)

ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 July 20, 21:55:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any picture of the "Ramin Barthelet?"
I reserve my skepticsm till a picture is shown  Roll Eyes

I just put him in my avatar.  This is how he looked when he spun up into a YA - I haven't changed anything about any of these townies' looks.  I thought he was a lot better looking than most of them!

Llamas are always male, cheerleaders are always female. (Think of them as male/female versions of the same.)
Cows are both genders: there are no 'evil cheerleaders'.

As for the naming mystery, if for some reason there is any Sim present after generating a 'hood the game will not import the Pleasantview Posse. Any townies present will be generated, and thus have sadorandom names.

Ok - but a male cow in the ladies' shower?  This dorm has men's and women's facilities.  That's why I thought s/he must be confused!

If there is a sim present the game won't import the usual townies?  I didn't make any sims.  Did you mean if a sim isn't present?  If I could get the usual gang to pick on just by creating a sim and putting them in the sim bin, I'd probably start another hood.  Otherwise, I'll probably just pick on the uglies and annoying ones of this bunch.  Grin

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 July 20, 22:25:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok - but a male cow in the ladies' shower?  This dorm has men's and women's facilities.  That's why I thought s/he must be confused!
Some special NPCs are gender-inspecific Wink

If there is a sim present the game won't import the usual townies?  I didn't make any sims.  Did you mean if a sim isn't present?  If I could get the usual gang to pick on just by creating a sim and putting them in the sim bin, I'd probably start another hood.  Otherwise, I'll probably just pick on the uglies and annoying ones of this bunch.  Grin
No, I meant if any Sim (playable or not) is present, it won't try to import the Pleasantview Posse. This can happen if the townie generator kicks in a little too early (immediately after creating a 'hood): the game will check if it is an empty 'hood, if yes: it will copy the PP. If no, it will skip that step. You have encountered the relatively rare case where it encounters a townie already and therefore doesn't import, but runs the normal townie generating routine instead. Adding any of the sub'hoods adds townies with random names and this can further jumpstart their number.

A fully stocked 'hood has ~60 townies, ~30 downtownies, and (IIRC) ~40 dormies (YAs). NPCs not counted.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 July 20, 22:42:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if I just started another hood, chances are I'd get the normal crew of townies?  Just my luck, just when I decided to do this I got the "rare case"!

Oh well.  Next time I'm in my other account, maybe I'll start hood #8 and actually call it Killville!   Cheesy

And I guess this cow doesn't have any specifications.  LOL!  I probably wouldn't have even noticed, but I don't play with that horrible blur, and the cow and only one of the playables were awake at the time.  The playable was a guy in the men's shower, and it kind of surprised me when the cow went in to take a shower, because that doesn't happen very often in my game.  Surprised me more when what I assumed was a girl - wasn't!

This looks like the start of a very interesting neghborhood.

kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 July 21, 00:31:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Kacper Bear in my game-he is a downtownie teen Cheesy

I don't know if it is still true but all of the townies and downtownies were named after maxis employees (I think they now sadorandom the first and last names)  so some poor schmuck at maxis has the forename Kacper (and I always pronounced the c as soft like an *s)

Don't buy a Gnome with learning difficulties - It's not big and its not clever!
Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2006 July 21, 00:38:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So is a stupid townie question a stupid question about townies, or a question about stupid townies?

(Yes, I'm a pedant. As well as being a predictable puellile poser.)

Twice West of England chess champion
FIDE rating 2328
Official MATY Predictable Puellile Poser
In Memoriam: WFM Jessie Gilbert, 1987-2006
kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 July 21, 00:40:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...or a stupid question about stupid townies?

ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 July 21, 01:39:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All of the above.

Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 July 21, 01:56:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, he does look decent but the nose is awful.
If you use face replacement templates or one of Enyala's oily skins, he might be better-looking  Grin

Go Away
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 July 21, 01:59:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If Kacper is Polish, then it is a proabably bad transliteration since the c probably isn't a hard k sound. Also, kack in English is unfortunate.

kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 July 21, 02:07:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

while on the subject of hard and soft *C* my name is pronounced with a soft *C* ie: kassi-day-ma

just in case you were wondering lol

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: