More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 05, 17:48:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Clothing Tool - I'm just not awesome.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Clothing Tool - I'm just not awesome.  (Read 6954 times)
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
Clothing Tool - I'm just not awesome.
« on: 2006 May 28, 23:04:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After hearing much about it, I've installed the clothing tool and fully expected to be shocked and amazed by it's awesomeness. But I must be lacking an "awesome" center in my brain, because I can't find/figure out how to use the damn thing. I have read the RTFM, and it offers no hints. I presume there is a buyable object of some sort that allows me to use the tool, but I can't find it.

Help?

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Clothing Tool - I'm just not awesome.
« Reply #1 on: 2006 May 28, 23:12:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's what looks like a stack of clothes in the Misc/Misc catalog.
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 May 28, 23:20:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks!

I probably just missed it because I have a stack of clothes "dresser" installed, and mistook one for the other.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 May 28, 23:35:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It costs about 5 simoleons if that's any help.

Zephyr Zodiac
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 May 31, 14:48:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had it for the longest time, but I've never quite figured out the age transition bit. Is it supposed to automatically let you choose clothing before the game assigns its fugly alternatives, or is it just a simpler way to change all categories after the game has already assigned its own fuggly outfits?
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 May 31, 14:50:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had it for the longest time, but I've never quite figured out the age transition bit. Is it supposed to automatically let you choose clothing before the game assigns its fugly alternatives, or is it just a simpler way to change all categories after the game has already assigned its own fuggly outfits?

yes
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 May 31, 14:52:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can buy clothes before transition and then use a wardrobe to plan outfit, or you can use it after transition.  However, when your graduates are waiting for the taxi, it pops up automatically now so you can send them back to the neighbourhood with som decent clothes (since they probably won't be able to afford any when they get there this is a very useful way of using up any cash they can't take with them!)

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 May 31, 15:15:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can buy clothes before transition and then use a wardrobe to plan outfit, or you can use it after transition.  However, when your graduates are waiting for the taxi, it pops up automatically now so you can send them back to the neighbourhood with som decent clothes (since they probably won't be able to afford any when they get there this is a very useful way of using up any cash they can't take with them!)
Actually, if you have no20K, graduates always take their money with them. If you live with others who aren't moving out as well, you take an equally-divided fraction of that money (leaving the rest for the others), but you always take whatever money you earned. And that's what you get. No free 20K.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 May 31, 15:32:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, true, but even so, it's better to buy the new clothes with the money that's there - provided the other students in the lot are not graduating too!  And after all, the last one to move out gets the remainder of the furniture!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 May 31, 15:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, true, but even so, it's better to buy the new clothes with the money that's there - provided the other students in the lot are not graduating too!  And after all, the last one to move out gets the remainder of the furniture!
That assumes the "last person" ever moves out, which is not necessarily the case. My frathouses have been in continuous service with a rotating cast since they were founded early in TS2U.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 May 31, 15:37:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, but in that case there's never any shortage of cash, and a continuing source of funding!

Zephyr Zodiac
kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 May 31, 18:39:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always make sure a graduating sim puts the furniture from their room in their inventory so they have a bed, desk/chair/pc, closet, bookcase and sofa or recliner plus any pictures/sculptures they bought while in the greek house.  Like JM I have used the same house since Uni came out - originally it was just a shared house on campus but a few of them wanted to join the Greek house so they applied for charter and all subsequent under-graduates have lived there at least one semester.

Don't buy a Gnome with learning difficulties - It's not big and its not clever!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 May 31, 18:56:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I quite often keep moving new sims into houses, just so they don't have to pay out all their scholarship money in rent, but if there's a shortage of new students when the last one comes to graduate, then the house becomes available again - after all, some students in Uni have more money than is good for them!

Zephyr Zodiac
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 May 31, 19:21:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The good news is that once I figured out where to find the object (thanks again, blue!), I was able to figure out the rest. This is quite an awesome tool, I don't know how I lived so long without it! JM mentioned making a new version, so I was wondering if there was any consideration on making it work on townies/npcs without moving them in first? That would be awesome beyond my wildest dreams.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 May 31, 19:23:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, but in that case there's never any shortage of cash, and a continuing source of funding!
Yes, but that means you can't rip out the furniture because we still NEED that furniture.

Besides, ripping out the furniture just means you have to put it back when the next family wants to use the house. Better that they suffer and remain poor than I have to refurnish!

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 May 31, 19:32:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, some of us like that part!

Zephyr Zodiac
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 May 31, 19:44:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tend to steal the dormie furniture - of course that means my sims live in dorms, but at least the dormie furniture resets itself once my sims move out and they have the furniture they kyped, so the next generation of dormies still have furniture...if that made any sense.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 May 31, 19:44:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yes
The way I understood it, it was the latter, "just a simpler way to change all categories after the game has already assigned its own fugly outfits."  I didn't think you could use it before age transitions because you can't access clothes in any other age group than the sim's current age.  And even when I've had clothes already in the wardrobe from previous sims, they don't always get those; sometimes they still get new, random outfits.  Is there something I'm missing here?
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 May 31, 19:50:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The way its always worked for me, at least in the case of young adults that are moving back to home neighborhood is I get a pop up and get to choose what clothes they will be put in rather than have fugly clothes thrust on me...perhaps it is I that have overlooked something obvious. So you are saying they still get the ugly clothes in inventory and I just get a second option to choose from?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 May 31, 19:55:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The ugly clothes will still be in their wardrobe, I think, and when they get home they will probably be in the ugly suit, but a shower will fix that!  The clothing tool doesn't interfere with any Maxian process when they leave uni, it merely adds a further option.

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 May 31, 20:01:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, yes, it works that way when graduating from Uni if you have the global file installed as well.  But the regular clothing tool that you invoke manually by clicking on the pile of clothes on home lots or after arriving at Uni and transitioning to a YA will only work to replace the fugly clothes the game randomly assigned. 
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 May 31, 20:37:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I just put everything in, no idea which one does what, though!  I just thought everyone would have both files - just shows I shouldn't assume things!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 May 31, 20:41:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's no way to avoid the fugly clothes for a normal age transition (non-YA), because Maxis, in their infinite wisdom, changed it so instead of getting some random selection of what you already HAVE, you instead got a random fugly outfit. Kind of a downgrade from the original TS2 system, where you simply got a random outfit from your existing wardrobe, usually the Tracksuit of Shame, and had to replan a different one. With the attendant issue of having to buy a second uniform because of the "virtual uniform" effect, etc., etc.

YA transitions, however, don't even give you a chance to replan anything, and that's what clothingtool-global does if you have the tool on lot. In this particular case, the Fugly Outfit is actually left behind, due to the fact that when a sim moves out, he only takes the clothes on his back (and not a copy of the entire wardrobe, like Maxis said, because they lied again).

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 May 31, 20:53:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which is just as well!  One of my teens just arrived at college and moved into an empty house with no wardrobe, but she has three evening/everyday dresses, none of which any student would be seen dead in - the two vampire gowns and one other NL formal!  Thank God in the form of J.M.Pescado for the clothing Tool!

Zephyr Zodiac
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 May 31, 21:20:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's no way to avoid the fugly clothes for a normal age transition (non-YA), because Maxis, in their infinite wisdom, changed it so instead of getting some random selection of what you already HAVE, you instead got a random fugly outfit. Kind of a downgrade from the original TS2 system, where you simply got a random outfit from your existing wardrobe, usually the Tracksuit of Shame, and had to replan a different one. With the attendant issue of having to buy a second uniform because of the "virtual uniform" effect, etc., etc.

YA transitions, however, don't even give you a chance to replan anything, and that's what clothingtool-global does if you have the tool on lot. In this particular case, the Fugly Outfit is actually left behind, due to the fact that when a sim moves out, he only takes the clothes on his back (and not a copy of the entire wardrobe, like Maxis said, because they lied again).

Well thats basically what I thought I was seeing, so other than at uni, its just a convenient (and clearly awesome) clothes buyer thingamajig with overinflated prices, at least for me, but at uni it actually overrides those ugly graduate clothes as I never recalled seeing any other clothes in their wardrobe other than the ones they got at uni with the tool once they got home...I could be blind however. (which would explain a lot of things actually)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: