More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 21, 20:38:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Give Birth and Drop Dead
0 Members and 6 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Give Birth and Drop Dead  (Read 27428 times)
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
Give Birth and Drop Dead
« on: 2005 August 17, 00:37:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Things are getting even weirder in Pleasantview now and I think maybe the end is near ...

I posted recently about the almost $6m Simoleans that a moving-in Sim brought and mentioned that one of her housemates on campus, Allegra Gorey, couldn't move out after graduating and so I moved her in along with this insanely rich Sim.  I then moved her straight out into her own place.  Once there, for some reason she was unable to wear the new clothes she'd bought.  Turned out they were YA clothes and she had an adult body.  Similarly, when she got a job, her college details were in the panel instead of her job ones (this happened to another Sim who had 'issues' moving out).  I went into SimPE and unticked her "On Campus" token and she was OK ... or so I thought.

She invited Castor Nova over and had her very first woo-hoo.  No precautions were taken and she became pregnant.  Castor was living with Brittany Upsnott (both of them changed to Romance), but left her to move in with Allegra the day the baby was due.  Castor was asleep when Allegra was giving birth.  After the baby was born, she played with him then put him in his cot.  As soon as she'd done this, she clutched at her throat and died.  She had the 'flu, but apart from hygiene her stats were fine.  I reckon she died because the game had no idea how old she was.  I woke Castor up, but he couldn't plead for her as the Reaper had his back to him and there was no way to pass him as he was standing in a doorway with Allegra's body in front of him.  Pity, I liked Allegra, but I'm not cheating to bring her back so she'll just have to stay dead.  Poor baby though, so far his one and only memory is of the death of his mother.

What is even more puzzling (and makes me wonder what is going on) is that Allegra doesn't have a normal death token.  She has one 'owned by' Gunther Goth (in the same way illness tokens are owned).  I don't know what difference this is likely to make if I leave it, or whether I should change it.  Seems like poor Allegra was doomed from the moment she graduated.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Bane~Child
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Give Birth and Drop Dead
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 17, 01:11:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

By chance did Allegra have same or close spelling of a name in common with any other Sims, especially dead ones?

Love is the Virtue of the Heart
Sincerity, the Virtue of the Mind
Decision, the Virtue of the Will
Courage, the Virtue of the Spirit
The Organic Commandment - 1948, Frank Lloyd Wright
fff
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 17, 01:39:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've heard of this choking death happening before, it only seems to affect pregnant Sims. There were reports about this happening months ago, when the game was still fairly new-ish, so I don't know that it's anything to do with your neighbourhood turning into a BFBVFS...
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 17, 03:09:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I swear Ancient, your Pleasantville is becoming just about as interesting as your articles, only in a different, american soap-operish way.

However, I read somewhere here in the forum that tokens not belonging to a particular sim are quite normal, and, according to JM, should not be deleted under any circumstances. Brynne was talking about it, she said she deleted tokens because they did not belong to that particular sim. JM, in no uncertain terms, advised her not to do that, as it would mess up her game. I'll dig it up tomorrow, right now I'm too tired (bed time Cheesy)

Klapaucius is right, the choking death is an affliction that  happens to pregnant sims, and its not uncommon.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 17, 05:05:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I know about pregnant Sims and the choking death, but that's supposed to be if they go to a community lot.  I'd played Allegra straight through from conception to delivery and she hadn't been anywhere.  She'd just got out of bed fully energised as well, so hadn't been wandering around getting tired.  I suppose it was the combination of 'flu and pregnancy that got her, although I've had that with quite a few Sims.  Just seems odd really, with her being a semi-adult and not being able to move off campus and everything.  Somehow I just don't think she was ever meant to be an adult.  Must have been her destiny.  Anyway, Castor soon got over it.  He took his son and went back to Brittany Upsnott and she's just had his kid now.  Should be fun and games with those two.  Allegra's son has 10 in Nice, whereas Brittany's only has 1, plus the nice one is extremely shy & serious and the nasty one is extremely outgoing & playful.  Can't see them getting on very well.

By chance did Allegra have same or close spelling of a name in common with any other Sims, especially dead ones?
Not sure what you mean by this?  Allegra is a Maxis-made Sim, she was one of the Bright household on campus.  So no, no one else has a similar name.

I read somewhere here in the forum that tokens not belonging to a particular sim are quite normal, and, according to JM, should not be deleted under any circumstances.
I read that thread, but normally this doesn't happen with death tokens, only disease & transport ones that I've seen.  Normally a death token isn't owned by anybody, it just has those lines (--- I think).  Maybe Gunther Goth possessed her and caused her death.  You can never tell with those Goths.  Strange lot.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Bane~Child
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 17, 05:48:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh right, that Allegra, I forgot about her.  The reason I asked is because I have had one or two bizarre things happen at age transition with my CAS characters who had names that were nearly the same as Maxis characters.  I think it confused the computer and that's why I asked.  Maxis does draw from a limited pool of names though, but I don't remember any other Allegras or names close enough to cause confusion with the game.

You are probably right about the age problem and the game getting confused.  Seeing that it was a Maxis character, there is just no telling, the college Sims seem kind of buggy to me, too.

Hope you figure it out.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 17, 06:09:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, veilchen. You had to bring *that* up.  Wink
The tokens I deleted were cellphone tokens, not tokens belonging to other sims. However, I have no idea why, but I have toddler skill tokens owned by Mortimer Goth on a sim that had no relation to him.
I had a sim die a pregnancy choking death a long time ago, pre-Uni. I still don't understand why. Brandi Broke's roommate, Jennie, was pregnant with Brandi's boyfriend Joe's baby. Joe had just proposed to Jennie on his lot. I saved and went immediately to the Broke house, and Jennie was playing video games, all motives green, Joe was over having dinner at the table, and Jennie suddenly grabbed her throat and the GR came. Obviously Brandi couldn't save her; she was too busy laughing. I exited w/o saving, went back to the lot to try to get to Jennie on time, but she died again. Again exited, re-entered, had Brandi quickly ask Joe to move in with her so I could control him, they hugged yadda yadda and he rushed to Jennie's rescue. Very bizarre. She was fine on Joe's lot. I think Brandi's evil and tried to poison Jennie without my knowing!
Bane~Child
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 17, 06:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very bizarre. She was fine on Joe's lot. I think Brandi's evil and tried to poison Jennie without my knowing!

You know this is not unlike the time when I sent Angela and Lillith off to Uni, but they were on hold and still in the Student Bin.  Yet, whenever Dustin would come home from school, every darn day that redheaded tart, Angela would get off the bus with him.  Never, ever saw Lillith.  Is it any wonder that our games are so screwed up when characters dwell in dual situations like this?  Also, when Dirk was still at home and lived with Darren and Cassandra in the Goth house, Dustin and Beau would come visit Dirk there and both of them were supposed to be in the Student bin as well.

I know that we have resolved a couple of the mysteries with Brandi, but she is one of the key characters in Pleasantview and seems to be at the center of everyone's universe, too.  I am certain that we have only scratched the surface in trying to figure how deep she goes, which apparently extends to her children, regardless of whom their father was/is.  The Brandi Broke stories you hear are very similar accounts no matter how she is played or by whom.

So Val, you may be more right about Brandi than you think.  I don't feel she is particularly evil, I think the game is hard-coded to assure certain outcomes involving her.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 17, 06:54:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmmm...interesting. And scary, considering the number of offspring she has with my sim! 
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 17, 08:43:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every time I've played Brandi the outcomes have been extremely varied, so I wouldn't agree with the idea that she is hard-coded for certain outcomes.

The choking death happens to pregnant sims, and can happen in their homes too, in one of my games Beau's wife died while pregnant (at home) but Beau pleaded for her and won.  I can't see how a death that happens after the child is born is related to the choking death.  And maybe I'm a wuss, but if I don't like an outcome in my game, I don't save, very often if you replay the outcome is totally different.   If it's the same, again don't save, then alter whatever caused the problem, as for instance the Grim Reaper being stuck in a doorway - remove the door and most of the wall so it can't happen before the kid is born, then if it happens a third time, at least the pleading will possibly work!

Zephyr Zodiac
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 17, 11:13:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the one Brynne, thanks now I don't have to go hunting for it. I did remember that Mortimer played a role in your problem, so I was hoping it was related. Why this happens, I don't know, but try and explain the stupid cell-phones anyway.

Besides, deleting the tokens, since they seemingly didn't belong there was a logical thing to do. I always have to remind myself that e/a maxis and logic are not to be thought of in the same sentence since they are not in any way connected :D

By the way, how far are you with your mega fix? You've been seemingly working non-stop, is the reward anywhere near?

~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 17, 11:20:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bleah, given up on the recreation of Pleasantville for now. Got all the clones in, but haven't done all the family ties, etc. I went back to a really old back up, which meant some of my uni students are teens again, but oh well. I've been going through memories and "unknown sim"-sifting in the hood I'm playing now. Think I got them all. But those damn bus drivers and carpool drivers all have memories of every sim I've played, and that was an unpleasant surprise. My wrist hurts from clicking on individual memories and sliding over to the delete button. I so wish there was an easier way... Isn't this game fun?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 17, 11:27:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only for masochists!

Zephyr Zodiac
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 17, 11:35:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your patience is in inspiration :D. I hope that you computer is small enough that you can get comfortable while using it. I like mine (thank you son) but I think I'm going to get a mouse for it. That touch-pad is driving me batty, it's super sensitive.

I have to start playing the pre-made hoods for a change. The only one I've ever played was Strangetown, usually I stick with my custom ones -no maxis townies/dormies and no maxis names, a super-plus-. Even my University is all home-made. Reading about Ancient and her problems, as well as other peoples maxis neighborhood experiences, have made me intensly curious about those neighborhoods. I've owned TS2 ever since it came out, the maxis neighborhoods just never appealed to me for some reason.

If it doesn't work out, I might do your thing Val and stick them out to be adrift at sea - but I'll leave them there for eternity - :D

ZZ, now that's an interesting thought.

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 17, 12:01:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"She had the 'flu, but apart from hygiene her stats were fine.  I reckon she died because the game had no idea how old she was.  I woke Castor up, but he couldn't plead for her as the Reaper had his back to him and there was no way to pass him as he was standing in a doorway with Allegra's body in front of him.  Pity, I liked Allegra, but I'm not cheating to bring her back so she'll just have to stay dead.  Poor baby though, so far his one and only memory is of the death of his mother." (ancient)

So far nobody mentioned it, and it's weird that a sim will die from a flu - I had pregnant sim with flu too, but she didn't die.

It can be a hack uncompatible with uni, which causes all this mess. I read at MTS2 about it. These hacks can cause sudden and mysterious death.

It's worth checking this.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 17, 12:10:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your patience is in inspiration Cheesy. I hope that you computer is small enough that you can get comfortable while using it. I like mine (thank you son) but I think I'm going to get a mouse for it. That touch-pad is driving me batty, it's super sensitive.

Yes, I just got a new laptop and the first thing I did was attach an external mouse. Those touchpads cramp my hands! I also have a lap desk, and a laptop riser for ventilation, a fan that clips to the side of the lapdesk, not to mention a 100 ft. cable (must get wireless!) and the power cord, so it kinda defeats the purpose of having a laptop if you buy it for its easy portability! I wind up dragging a lot of stuff from room to room, but at least I can sit on my couch and "play". Heh. Make that "work".
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 17, 12:30:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posted by: Brynne
(must get wireless!)

Yes Brynne, you must. I love my labtop, its small, very portable and wireless. I do have to get the riser (or labtop coaster as my daughter laughingly refers to), I don't want it to get damaged.

It's so valuable in my University too (the real life one). I can use it in my office, in the lounge, and in the class room. So far I'm loving it.

The day you can really start playing again, and are finished with your major work-over, I'll be breaking out the champagne. Just reading about it exhausts me :D

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 17, 12:42:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I've been playing a little more, lately. I was getting frustrated with all the work involved in straightening out this game!
I love my lappy, too. My first one was a fancy doorstop and had to be sent in for repair 4 times. Note that I just bought it in February (Valentine's Day present from hubby). The store finally gave me store credit and I bought a much lighter one (pentium m), so that's easier to deal with. My "old" one was, like, 10 pounds. But it's funny, I'm sure, to others when they see me trying to set up on the couch or bed or wherever with all these cords and cables. It's like tangled Christmas lights from hell. The convenience of a laptop!
Still trying to adjust to this new keyboard...

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 17, 15:08:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My laptop just hasn't got the same video capabilities, so I rather gave up with it.  also, once the neighbourhood got fairly busy, and the houses larger, it crawled.  (I only bought it last September, state of the art Sony Vaio, but how quickly things get updated!)  I found the touchpad very awkward compared to using a mouse, there were defintely things in Build Mode that I just couldn't do!

Zephyr Zodiac
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 17, 16:13:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen quite a few posts on the BBS about the strange "choking" death for pregnant sims. The common denominator was that either the pregnant sim or someone else residing on the lot went to a community lot during the first trimester of pregnancy (before the pregnant sim starts "showing"). So unfortunately it's apparently not safe for anyone on the lot to visit the community lot during the first trimester. But usually the pregnant sim dies during the pregnancy, maybe something with Castor moving in had something to do with it (if I'm reading your post correctly he moved in mid-pregnancy, right?). It's one of the strangest death glitches I've ever heard of, akin to the "mystery pet illness" from TS1 Unleashed that Maxis refused to acknowledge (even though many a TS1 player lost a pet to it).
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 18, 01:02:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But usually the pregnant sim dies during the pregnancy, maybe something with Castor moving in had something to do with it (if I'm reading your post correctly he moved in mid-pregnancy, right?).
Yes, he moved in a few hours before she was due to drop.  Then again, he moved back in with Brittany Upsnott when she was already pregnant and her delivery was fine.  I know Allegra had 'flu, but I've had quite a few pregnant Sims with 'flu before.  I still think it was some sort of combination glitch - pregnancy, the 'flu and the fact that she hadn't moved off campus properly. And, of course, Ms. Upsnott is made of much stronger stuff than poor Allegra.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 18, 01:05:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With a name like that she'd have to be!

Zephyr Zodiac
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 August 18, 01:58:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometimes the reason why pregnant sims collapse and die is more obvious.  In my original Veronaville, I had a spate of 'collapse and die' pregnant sims; I linked it to them eating toxic food on other lots that they were visiting - they didn't need to jump in a taxi, they just had to out stay their welcome at another sims house, get hungry and eat mouldy food.  Lo and behold, when I went to their lot to play them, they would grab their throat, collapse and die. 

My solution once I realised how I was killing off my pregnant sims  - and poor Mercutio - was to interrupt them before they could eat and then chuck the offending food away.  If you don't believe me - experiment with a dispensable sim.  Have him/her  munch a foul meal elsewhere then visit their lot.  Works every time.  Note, if you are using 'moreawesomethanyou', your sims won't actually be able to munch foul plated food, but they can feast their lives away on toxic takeaways (pizza, chinese).  That's what poor Ivy Copur's son died of in my game.  Tut, tut, tut.

happy now :-)
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 August 18, 02:05:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Strangely enough, I had this happen without the pregnant sim eating anything at all. I was playing another house and took the inhabitant to a community lot. Playing on, I noticed the pregnant sim walk by, but I payed little attention to it, but stayed focused on the sim I was currently actively playing.

When I played the pregnant sim's lot again, she up and died on me. Not being quite as fatalistic as Ancient, I left without saving and thereby avoided the dead sim. :D

That community lot walk-by was the only out-of-the-ordinary thing that the pregnant sim did; I wonder now if that's related.

Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 August 18, 02:18:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Generally pregnancy + community lot visit = almost certain death.  Of course, there are always exceptions!  Pregnant sims are not allowed to visit community lots anyway.  If they make a random autonomous appearance as a non-controllable sim, there's not much you or anyone else can do - except leave the lot and not save.

I like the randomness of these deaths - adds a bit of drama.   

happy now :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: