More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 26, 12:31:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Maxed skills prior to entering University
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Maxed skills prior to entering University  (Read 7683 times)
Countess
eamethyst
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Maxed skills prior to entering University
« on: 2006 February 27, 20:13:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ran into something last night while playing that has me completely bewildered. 

I sent a 3rd generation sim to University.  He had $11,000 in scholarships, so I moved him into his own house.  All of his skills were completely maxed, since right after he became a teenager.  After he had already completed his term paper, I clicked over to his grade tab, to discover that it seemed to think he had no skill points. 

Though I'm really not terribly proficient in SimPE, I checked out his file there, and from looking through the various tabs, I couldn't see anything strange, and it does show all of his skills being maxed at 10.0.

This happens to be the very first Sim I ever had display a want to buy new clothes as a toddler, and throw a sports party as a child.  Since then his younger sister, and nephew have also shown those wants during those early ages.

Is there something I can do in SimPE to correct this?  Or from within the game even?  I'm getting really tempted to scrap the neighborhood and start over from scratch.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
Re: Maxed skills prior to entering University
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 27, 20:17:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a known university issue that sometimes a student's grade bar will not get bigger, despite gaining or having the requisite skill points. What seems to work is moving them out to a different residence. So far I've seen and heard of this happening with Maxis-built university houses.

Countess
eamethyst
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 27, 20:24:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would apply here.  I'm using La Fiesta Tech and deleted all characters when I started the Neighborhood.  I moved him into the house that was originally occupied by the band (Shifting Paradyms maybe?).  Thanks.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 27, 20:25:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same suggestion here, move it out and in a new house.

Best is to edit the house, make a small change and save before you move the sim into it.  I would do that with every Maxis house in regular hood and University section.
Countess
eamethyst
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 27, 20:35:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I did edit the house before moving him in.  I upgraded the kitchen, bought a better bed, put in a driveway, and got rid of the instruments that were on the roof of the house.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 27, 20:39:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I experience problem with the "deleteallcharacters" command in the past, I now always move the student that are in any University lot to the family bin prior to delete all the characters so the game knows no Sims lives in these houses anymore.

When I do that, I don't experience problems.  When I don't, the houses won't even load.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 27, 20:45:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd suggest moving him into a dorm or a house you've built yourself or downloaded. The dorm can be one of the standard ones; I haven't heard of the problem happening yet with one.

I doubt the problem is related to deleteallcharacters, at least in all cases; I had this problem in bog-standard Strangetown with a house that no one had ever occupied, but was Maxis built.

Countess
eamethyst
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 27, 20:49:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I experience problem with the "deleteallcharacters" command in the past, I now always move the student that are in any University lot to the family bin prior to delete all the characters so the game knows no Sims lives in these houses anymore.

When I do that, I don't experience problems.  When I don't, the houses won't even load.

I'd actually even done that.  The first time I ever tried the deleteallcharacters command I experienced the same problem you mentioned.  Previously occupied uni housing simply wouldn't load.  So the second time I tried it i first moved everyone into the student bin.  For the previous generations of this family I've been having them live in the fraternity house, which I converted to a dorm.  But this sim I decided to put into his own house, next door to his cousin, who I placed into another previously occupied, Maxis house with no problems.

I tell you, this Sim is just goofy
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 27, 23:50:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the same thing happen with Jane Stacks - a Maxis sim living in a Maxis house and screwed up by  ----  you've guessed it!

Zephyr Zodiac
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 28, 00:16:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ummm, Maxis? Grin

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 28, 04:46:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whatever gave you that idea? Grin

Zephyr Zodiac
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 28, 05:57:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You should actually give them credit for the fact that if their games didn't have these monumental flaws, JM wouldn't be able to mod and hack and then there wouldn't be a forum, and we (or me anyways)  wouldn't have come into contact with some great and funny people. Wink

Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 28, 06:20:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You should actually give them credit for the fact that if their games didn't have these monumental flaws, JM wouldn't be able to mod and hack and then there wouldn't be a forum, and we (or me anyways)  wouldn't have come into contact with some great and funny people. Wink
That I have to agree. I love MATY  Smiley

Go Away
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 28, 07:26:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can tell you're a glass half full kinda person, right?  I heard that HappyMoonBelly has been hired by Maxis to design some clothes, maybe they should also extend an offer to Mr P to come and work on their code
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 28, 09:29:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could try the Jeffistani College Adjuster, I think one of the debug options can set the grade meter size just for this problem.

I can tell you're a glass half full kinda person, right?  I heard that HappyMoonBelly has been hired by Maxis to design some clothes, maybe they should also extend an offer to Mr P to come and work on their code
I'm not looking for employment, but you can always try bugging Boris about it. I prefer my independence and don't require a paycheck from them, thanks.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 28, 09:35:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I prefer your independence too,  coz I think had you actually worked for these people you probably wouldn't think outside the box; therefore wouldn't see the possibilities of making a good game better. Grin

DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 28, 11:17:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could also try changing his major back and forth (I use TwoJeffs' college adjuster for that). That worked for me the couple of times I encountered this bug.

Let the Beast inside you free!
Countess
eamethyst
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 28, 20:30:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the suggestion of using TwoJeffs college adjuster or simply changing majors.  If it ever happens again (which I'd rather it didn't) I'll give that a try.

I ended up moving him out and bulldozing the lot.  Then moved him into a starter I downloaded from Laverwinklesims, and he is fine.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: