More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 26, 18:38:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  More are abandoning ship
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: More are abandoning ship  (Read 16153 times)
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
Re: More are abandoning ship
« Reply #25 on: 2006 February 21, 06:28:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mod the sims 2? I don't know of anything bad there, outside of the odd swear that gets deleted by mods.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 February 21, 07:40:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mod the sims 2? I don't know of anything bad there, outside of the odd swear that gets deleted by mods.

I am talking about TSR  Tongue

Go Away
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 February 21, 14:52:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Serious? How much do they get paid?! I always wanna ask this question over there but I am afraid this is a forbidden question or something. The mods are pretty you know ...strict. They locked threads when you discuss topics they don't like... such as questioning why stories forums are in off topic (most recent case  I read)  and some other crap issues.

I'm not sure if they have the same offer going for all FAs or if some get paid more than others. The amount they pay is based on how many subscriber downloads their items get, but there is a monthly upper limit. What they offered me one time was a maximum of $250 a month ($10 for every 10,000 downloads), but who knows if it's changed since then. I would imagine (just guessing here) that they pay more to the famous and popular FAs to make sure they stay at TSR.

Hosting your own site is not that expensive. I think most smaller sims sites will get by just fine on the cheap hosting packages that give you something like 100 gigs of bandwidth a month for the cost of around $6 a month, for example.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 February 21, 16:07:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am talking about TSR  Tongue
I am talking about TSR.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 February 21, 16:24:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Serious? How much do they get paid?! I always wanna ask this question over there but I am afraid this is a forbidden question or something. The mods are pretty you know ...strict. They locked threads when you discuss topics they don't like... such as questioning why stories forums are in off topic (most recent case  I read)  and some other crap issues.

I'm not sure if they have the same offer going for all FAs or if some get paid more than others. The amount they pay is based on how many subscriber downloads their items get, but there is a monthly upper limit. What they offered me one time was a maximum of $250 a month ($10 for every 10,000 downloads), but who knows if it's changed since then. I would imagine (just guessing here) that they pay more to the famous and popular FAs to make sure they stay at TSR.

Hosting your own site is not that expensive. I think most smaller sims sites will get by just fine on the cheap hosting packages that give you something like 100 gigs of bandwidth a month for the cost of around $6 a month, for example.

Wow!$250 a month! They must be making big bucks. I know Sim Chic pays $ but I didn't know TSR does and pays so much. But is there a 'quota' of items they must fulfil within a certain frame? I mean otherwise there couldn't be 'Retired' artists right?  Huh

Go Away
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 February 21, 17:20:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow!$250 a month! They must be making big bucks. I know Sim Chic pays $ but I didn't know TSR does and pays so much. But is there a 'quota' of items they must fulfil within a certain frame? I mean otherwise there couldn't be 'Retired' artists right?  Huh

In the offer I got, it was said that there is no minimum number of items that need to be submitted. The only thing they were concerned about was that the items I made for them would never be posted anywhere else but TSR.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 February 21, 17:34:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the offer I got, it was said that there is no minimum number of items that need to be submitted. The only thing they were concerned about was that the items I made for them would never be posted anywhere else but TSR.

That policy must vary because I see quite a few items on TSR that are avalaible on the creator's web site.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 February 21, 17:37:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are they featured artists? Non-FAs don't have that limitation.

It's also possible that those creators first posted those items at their own site and then TSR. In that case, they don't get paid for them, either, I believe. But every FA needs a special permission if they want to post their TSR items elsewhere later on. Windkeeper got a permission to post some of her windows at MTS2. The general rule still is you can't post them on any other sites.

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 February 21, 23:01:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I can only recall some of HolySimoly's item being in both place
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 February 22, 02:21:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The works I see are certainly the FA's current work on other FREE sites. But I am not making noise.

Go Away
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 February 22, 06:00:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, those items are not Featured Artists items Smiley.

The works I see are certainly the FA's current work on other FREE sites. But I am not making noise.

It may be that the items were released on the other sites first and then later TSR. The FAs do not get paid for these downlaods, I believe.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 22, 06:06:43 by IgnorantBliss » Logged

Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 February 22, 06:12:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, those items are not Featured Artists items Smiley.

It may be that the items were released on the other sites first and then later TSR. The FAs do not get paid for these downlaods, I believe.

No, there was this FA (I am not saying who ...i don't want to get her into trouble). She has a set over at TSR released first as FA. Then she decided to offer it to users at MTS2. It was immensely popular.
The download was slightly different as in she changed the name of the download but the appearance of the thing is exactly the same.

Go Away
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 February 22, 06:50:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, there was this FA (I am not saying who ...i don't want to get her into trouble). She has a set over at TSR released first as FA. Then she decided to offer it to users at MTS2. It was immensely popular.
The download was slightly different as in she changed the name of the download but the appearance of the thing is exactly the same.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread, I mentioned Windkeeper releasing some of her TSR windows at MTS2 under special permission. Unless you're talking about someone else. (I asked her about it and she said they let her upload the windows on MTS2 since the majority of her downloads are still TSR only)

Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 February 22, 08:05:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you read my earlier posts in this thread, I mentioned Windkeeper releasing some of her TSR windows at MTS2 under special permission. Unless you're talking about someone else. (I asked her about it and she said they let her upload the windows on MTS2 since the majority of her downloads are still TSR only)

Its not windkeeper. Its some one else.

Go Away
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 February 23, 00:58:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway their policy is ridiculous.  Most people go to TSR because it's the Walmart of sims downloads.  Everything under the sun, automatically downloaded and installed.  Easy and convenient.  So what if a couple of items finds themselves on free sites.  Imagine the work of trying to hunt down all those free items, spread over hundreds of sites.  Just finding anything on MTS2 is a hit and miss affair at the best of times.  Unless a lot of their most popular creators start having their own sites, and make all their items freely avalaible, I don't see them loosing any of their subscriber.  Heck they make a % of their own items avalaible for free.

In any case, one thing that irritates me is that lots of these content artist use inspiration, advice, tools, and meshes that were made avalaible for free, turn around and make money from them.  That strikes me as slightly unethical.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2006 February 23, 06:24:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In any case, one thing that irritates me is that lots of these content artist use inspiration, advice, tools, and meshes that were made avalaible for free, turn around and make money from them.  That strikes me as slightly unethical.

I don't really see that as unethical.  If a person wove a piece of fabric and gave it to me wouldn't it be my choice if I made it into something beautiful and sold that something?  It's basically the same thing.

Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 February 23, 08:21:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If a person wove a piece of fabric and gave it to me wouldn't it be my choice if I made it into something beautiful and sold that something?

Your choice, yes. But only a fool of a weaver would give you a second piece of fabric.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 February 23, 21:34:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Indeed, and I doubt the weaver would start providing you with a constant stream of free supplies, knowing you are profiting from it.  But this isn't a good example, because it's a one on one.

I think a better example would be a group of artists, doing a series of painting, in the context of let's say a workshop, and giving their work to the participants, only to find their work has been framed and put up for sale on Ebay.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 February 23, 22:05:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, it probably is a copyright violation to take meshes (textures too) that other people have made and distributed for free and distributing them as pay items.

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 February 24, 00:38:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wouldn't they have to be copyrighted first ?
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 February 24, 00:44:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wouldn't they have to be copyrighted first ?

You are confusing "registering" a copyright and an actual copyright. The creation itself of an original piece of work is copyrighted. Trying to prove that it is your work - that's where the registering part comes in. But make no mistake about it - all original work is copyright protected.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: