More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 30, 23:48:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Inspiration for Tricou names
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Inspiration for Tricou names  (Read 14605 times)
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
Inspiration for Tricou names
« on: 2006 February 17, 12:58:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I found the inspiration for some of the Tricou names - the legit kids not the others.  I was wondering about Fricorith's name, did a google search and came across this site http://dragaera.info Basically it is a homage to a series of books written by a bloke called Steven K Zoltan Brust but it includes some interesting notes which I'll reproduce below.

Fricorith: old North-Western tongue for "nearly the end of winter"
Cvorunn - Kvirinun: Serioli for "time of melting snows" (sounds very similar to Kvornan)
Nylissit - a character in one of the books

So eventually I get to my point...if you want 'authentic' names for your little Tricou offspring it probably wouldn't hurt to check out the Dragaera website or this one http://dragaera.wikicities.com/wiki/Meta:Dramatis_Personae which lists names.  Mayhap one of the designers is a fan?
« Last Edit: 2006 February 17, 13:11:13 by vilia » Logged
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Inspiration for Tricou names
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 17, 13:00:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They would make great alien names too! Thanks vilia, I've bookmarked Smiley

vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 17, 13:10:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pleasure!  I just found a Wiki page on it http://dragaera.wikicities.com/wiki/Meta:Dramatis_Personae which is probably much better if you are like me and want to nick names - so far I like Zerika, Sethra Lavode, Dolivar, Juliska, Aliera so bookmark that one (I'll update my first post)

NB forgot to add in first message there is a Jenicor character as well
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 17, 13:21:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awesome! Thanks again Grin

Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 17, 13:58:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't doubt it for a moment.  Brust has quite a following.

The earlier Vlad Taltos books are pretty good, as are "The Phoenix Guards" and "500 Years After," though the latter have a deliberately odd style that's a homage to Alexander Dumas (author of the Three Musketeers).  I don't care for what he's writing now, though.  "The Lord of Castle Black" bored me to tears.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 17, 19:22:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So that's where those odd names came from. They were driving me a little batty because I couldn't find any real-world language source for them. I'm glad you cleared up that mystery!  Cheesy

Wolfee
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 17, 22:18:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks so much. I'm always looking for interesting names to name my Sims. I bookmarked that site too.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 17, 22:31:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh wonderful! I also had been looking for the inspiration for the family and Freedom and Necessity co-authored by Brust (and Emma Bull) is one of my very favorites, although the Taltos books aren't high on my list. I tried every New Orleans search I could think of... and never got to the names and fictional. Thanks very much :)

Edit: Silly tag
« Last Edit: 2006 February 17, 22:40:38 by sagana » Logged

Unsouper
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 17, 23:42:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The earlier Vlad Taltos books are pretty good, as are "The Phoenix Guards" and "500 Years After," though the latter have a deliberately odd style that's a homage to Alexander Dumas (author of the Three Musketeers).  I don't care for what he's writing now, though.  "The Lord of Castle Black" bored me to tears.

- Gus

oh heh cool.  I never made the connection.   I read quite a few of his books, but the early ones in his Vlad Taltos series.  I kinda got bored with it eventually.
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 17, 23:44:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Names interest me and not knowing the meaning of the Tricous has been bugging me on and off for quite a while.  

I'm quite terrible when naming my families as I like to contine tradition - if it is the Pleasants then they are given bible names such as Eve, Adam, Cain, Abel.  If I resurrect Skip Broke, I continue the odd naming conventions but if I don't, then I name future kids after alcohol to follow tradition - so far I have had Sherri, Martini, Walker and Jim  Tongue  Dreamers always have kids starting with D. and Goth kids are always named after characters from the 'classics' - Helen, Penelope, Antigone, Dido, Calypso, Andromache, Achilles, Priam, Patroclus, Ajax, Odysseus etc.  
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 18, 03:09:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My current generation are all named on a botanical theme..  I have Laurel, Angelica, Jasmine, Ginger, Willow, Basil and Veronica
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 18, 13:54:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My current generation are all named on a botanical theme..  I have Laurel, Angelica, Jasmine, Ginger, Willow, Basil and Veronica

I tried having a tree theme for House of Fallen Trees once but had to give up after Ash & Rowan as I couldn't think of any others Grin
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 18, 14:18:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I get twins I like to give them related names.  I had twin boys named Ash and Oak at one point.  Naturally, "Oak" was the solid Family type, whereas Ash was the unreliable Romance guy.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 18, 15:34:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my senior year of high school, a couple of new kids came in that were from a family where all of the six (or was it eight? Lots, anyhow) children were named after trees. The girl got off more or less easy being named Willow, but I couldn't imagine being saddled with her older brother's name - Tamarack!  Cheesy I never did find out what the rest of the siblings were named.

Naming conventions can be fun to play with in TS2. At one point I had a fantasy neighborhood where I was planning for each entire generation to go by a different convention, starting with gemstone names. Each kid got named after a gemstone that was similar to their eyecolour. That got annoying very fast, though, as I quickly ran out of names that sounded like names and didn't feeling like naming any of them Bloodstone or Labradorite, no matter how cool the actual minerals are. It definitely works better to keep naming conventions in families, it's harder to run out of names!

If I ever get further than two generations in my current neighborhood, I think I'll start using some naming conventions. I've kind of already started with one family that currently has toddler twins - Castor and Pollux. They seem to want to have more children rather badly, so hey, might as well continue along with that. I think I'll use plants/flowers and trees, and perhaps colours as well.

This game is great for getting out the urge to name people strange things. Keeps it in check so I don't end up with story characters with ridiculous names, and maybe I'll have it all worked out of my system by the time I decide to have a kid.  Wink

sadiebutterfly
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 18, 19:13:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have one Pleasantview family who name their children like Puritans -- Old Testament prophets for the boys, abstract virtues for the girls. My Legacy family go in alphabetical order. And twins always alliterate: Connor and Catherine Adams, Medea and Medusa Beaker.
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 18, 23:41:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have one Pleasantview family who name their children like Puritans -- Old Testament prophets for the boys, abstract virtues for the girls.

Do you find it is always the mean and nasty ones that are named Charity or Mercy?  Back in my pre BFBVFS hood I had one family that I named them after virtues.  Unfortunately the family was not the nicest - lets just say Lillith Pleasant had nothing on this family - so it was quite comedic. 

btw I actually named my boys after virtues as well e.g. Fastbowler, Skuller etc  Tongue
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 18, 23:44:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you find it is always the mean and nasty ones that are named Charity or Mercy?  Back in my pre BFBVFS hood I had one family that I named them after virtues.  Unfortunately the family was not the nicest - lets just say Lillith Pleasant had nothing on this family - so it was quite comedic.
I like the irony inherent in that. And Lilith Pleasant really is nothing compared to some of the sims in my neighborhood. Lilith was only mildly disagreeable. Some sims are downright dangerous hazardous to be around (*cough* BlueSoup *cough*).

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 19, 00:25:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some sims are downright dangerous hazardous to be around (*cough* BlueSoup *cough*).

Hey!  Sims are only as dangerous as their ruler lets makes them be. Tongue
gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 19, 22:27:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried having a tree theme for House of Fallen Trees once but had to give up after Ash & Rowan as I couldn't think of any others Grin

Tree names:

Fairly Common: Ash, Cherry, Cinnamon, Ebony, Elm (Elmer, Elmira), Hazel, Holly, Laurel, Linden, Magnolia, Myrtle, Olive, Palm (Palmer), Rowan, Sequoia, Willow

More Unusual: Acacia, Alder, Balsa, Beech (Beecher, Beecham), Birch, Cedar, Catalpa, Cork, Cypress, Gingko, Hawthorn, Hickory, Juniper, Kapok, Kauri, Mulberry, Oak

Now playing: UNI, NL, OFB, & Pets
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 20, 09:34:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tree names:

Fairly Common: Ash, Cherry, Cinnamon, Ebony, Elm (Elmer, Elmira), Hazel, Holly, Laurel, Linden, Magnolia, Myrtle, Olive, Palm (Palmer), Rowan, Sequoia, Willow

More Unusual: Acacia, Alder, Balsa, Beech (Beecher, Beecham), Birch, Cedar, Catalpa, Cork, Cypress, Gingko, Hawthorn, Hickory, Juniper, Kapok, Kauri, Mulberry, Oak

You win! Wink
gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 20, 14:42:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You win! Wink

It's all your fault, you know!  When I get my new PC and start playing again, I'm going to have to make a Forrester family and give them all tree names.   Smiley   Maybe their neighbors will be the Woods family so all their kids can marry each other.

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 20, 16:11:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's all your fault, you know!  When I get my new PC and start playing again, I'm going to have to make a Forrester family and give them all tree names.   Smiley   Maybe their neighbors will be the Woods family so all their kids can marry each other.

Hey that's great, I think i am gonna steal that idea Smiley 

Ren

Naming conventions can be fun to play with in TS2. At one point I had a fantasy neighborhood where I was planning for each entire generation to go by a different convention,

That's exactly what I am planning to do.  It provides inspiration for names and will also help me distinguish between generations.   I don't think I'll run out of names,  because I am keeping my generations small, to keep them manageable.
gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 20, 16:47:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey that's great, I think i am gonna steal that idea Smiley 

Cool!

I love doing things with names.  I used to have a neighborhood where each generation had the same initial.  But now I think themes are more fun.

Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 20, 21:58:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Naming conventions can be fun to play with in TS2. At one point I had a fantasy neighborhood where I was planning for each entire generation to go by a different convention,

That's exactly what I am planning to do.  It provides inspiration for names and will also help me distinguish between generations.   I don't think I'll run out of names,  because I am keeping my generations small, to keep them manageable.

I bet it'll work great, then. I was naming townie kids as well as my playables and ended up running out of ideas pretty fast.  Grin

vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 20, 23:48:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was naming townie kids as well as my playables and ended up running out of ideas pretty fast.  Grin

Have you checked out the following website at all Renatus? http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/names_files.html

I try and give my townies 'normal names' and change the repeats or odd combinations the game comes up with and found this site quite handy
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: