More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 01, 07:40:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Why would my game blow up with an organized downloads folder?
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Why would my game blow up with an organized downloads folder?  (Read 13907 times)
PattyB
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Why would my game blow up with an organized downloads folder?
« on: 2006 February 14, 17:11:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, after a week of organizing I was finally able to play.

I get to the neighborhood view of Pleasantview fine, but when I click on a house it never completely loads. I have to give the three-finger salute to quit out of the game.

I've tried different houses. One time I actually got into a lot, but time was frozen. The Sims were frozen.

I deleted the Groups.cache and it didn't make a difference.

In order to play, I had to move my backup copy of my unorganized downloads folder back and everything loads up fine.

Ideas anyone? Maybe I have a bad download. Gosh, the thought of moving one subfolder at a time back is giving me a headache. Maybe I need some of the Massacre day alcohol Wink

edited to add - I've run CleanInstaller to check for duplicates and removed all duplicate files. It didn't help.

Not at all awesome
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Why would my game blow up with an organized downloads folder?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 14, 17:17:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it seems to be coming from your Downloads folder, I don't see an easier way but to try one subfolder at a time, except you may be able to narrow it down if you know what's in that house.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 14, 17:24:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried starting the game in debug mode?
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 14, 17:28:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not, y'know, do the same as with an unorganized downloads folder -- take out approximately half, etc. etc.? (I can give the lengthy explanation if you have no idea what I'm talking about, but it's always awkward and tedious to describe.) No need to do it one at a time instead of in sections just because you've now got folders instead of individual files.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
PattyB
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 14, 17:43:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried starting the game in debug mode?

Now for a totally stupid question - how do you start in debug mode?

Not at all awesome
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 14, 17:51:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you remove any terrain files?  They are notoriously cranky.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 14, 17:57:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now for a totally stupid question - how do you start in debug mode?

Debug mode is another name for turning on the "boolprop testingcheatsenabled true" mode.

Ste

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 14, 19:24:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you got a lot of hacks installed?  Some hacks are rather fussy about loading order and have to be loaded after other hacks in order to co-exist.  Since everything loads in alphabetical order by folder and then file name (this is apparently why some creators stick a "z" at the beginning of the filename,) putting stuff in separate folders could trip you up by causing, say, a file in a folder named "Bug Fixes" to load before one in a folder named "Global Hacks" when it should have loaded after.  I had to rearrange some of my subfolders for this reason.  Just a thought.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Database
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 14, 20:20:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game really should have a "loading order" button. Hell, it sould allow you to organise downloads IN-GAME and sub-folder sims2packs without having to use Clean Installer.
PattyB
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 14, 20:48:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you got a lot of hacks installed?  Some hacks are rather fussy about loading order and have to be loaded after other hacks in order to co-exist.  Since everything loads in alphabetical order by folder and then file name (this is apparently why some creators stick a "z" at the beginning of the filename,) putting stuff in separate folders could trip you up by causing, say, a file in a folder named "Bug Fixes" to load before one in a folder named "Global Hacks" when it should have loaded after.  I had to rearrange some of my subfolders for this reason.  Just a thought.

All of my hacks are lumped together in a "Hacks" folder. That is probably the only folder that didn't change.

Edited to add: I'm leaving work shortly (yippee!!) and will give the ideas here a try. At risk of my lips, I'm going to say I love it here  Grin

Not at all awesome
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 15, 07:07:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want to try debug mode, type "boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true" in the neighborhood cheat window before trying to enter a lot. No quotation marks.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 15, 07:48:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The usual reason time is frozen on a lot is because some object is chain-erroring endlessly everytime it resets. In order to break the cycle, the offending object must be located and either DELETED or fixed. Otherwise time cannot pass because the game will respond to the erroring object by autoresetting it, which simply causes an immediate error 0 seconds later, thus rendering it impossible to advance time because the game will be locked in a cycle of resetting the broken object.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 15, 14:04:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want to try debug mode, type "boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true" in the neighborhood cheat window before trying to enter a lot. No quotation marks.

And don't forget to write down the error message so that you have (some) clue as to what is causing the loop.
If it turns out to be an object, click the delete button when and if the error pops up, if it's a sim, try reset.

I usually only run into the enless loop problem after "upgrading" a pre-uni sim to have 6 want slots, I still don't know why.

Instant gratification takes too long.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 15, 15:36:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I usually only run into the enless loop problem after "upgrading" a pre-uni sim to have 6 want slots, I still don't know why

Do you  have this problem whenever you try to load the house - or is it when you try to move the sim?

Patty B, I was just wondering if you have NL?  If not, and you have put all your skins into folders, that might be the problem.

Zephyr Zodiac
PattyB
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 15, 15:56:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have all the expansions plus the stupid Holiday pack (and I have pre-ordered OFB too).

I loaded the game last night with the organized downloads folder. Turned on Debug mode and loaded "my" house, which is one that would just hang and never open.

I got an error with the Sports job, which was weird because there was nobody in that house who is in that line of work. I reset the error and the house opened. I was missing carpet and the kitchen table and chairs reverted back to defaults. The girls bedding changed back to defaults too.

I turned debug mode off and played for an hour or so with no issues. Saved and exited to the neighborhood.

Then I tried to open up a different house and it hung and wouldn't open. Guess I shouldn't have turned debug mode off  Roll Eyes Had to force shut down the game.

Then, I went into my logs folder and there were a BUNCH of logs created last night. Something with lighting, audio and even an Excel spreadsheet.

Not at all awesome
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 15, 16:05:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is really wierd!  When the load screen comes up where you can enable/disable custom content, I presume you enabled it?  If so, it might be worth loading your game. disabling everything, then rebooting and loading your game and enabling custom content again, after which you would need to close your game and restart for the content to show. 

It might be that, if custom content has always been enabled, the game has simply got itself confused as to where it it!

Zephyr Zodiac
PattyB
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 15, 22:53:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried Disabling/quitting/enabling/quitting/entering neighborhood.

Each and every lot I try to access (even in build mode!) get a JobData-Adult-Athletics #677/#312/#235/#223 Error: Invalid Constant. I had to "Delete" in order for the houses/lots to load. Once in, the game plays fine.

I'm at the point of either doing the folder shuffle or removing my downloads and reinstalling.

One other thing I haven't tried - I only play in Pleasantview. Maybe I should try Strangetown and see if the errors happen there too.

Not at all awesome
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 15, 23:05:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm no expert when it comes to FUBARed games, but do you possibly have any custom careers that you may have downloaded, either knowingly or not?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 16, 00:17:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since the error is referring to a career, that sounds like a very good idea, Bluesoup!  I believe that careers written for the base game can cause problems in Uni and NL.

Zephyr Zodiac
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 16, 01:26:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know that the original careers written for the base game prevented TS2 to load after university was installed.  Can you locate and zap the career ?
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 16, 01:36:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

a custom career is usually the culprit in the case of lots loading endlessly
best way is to delete them all or move them to desktop and see if the lots load ok then
if you really want the career then test each one seperately till you find which one is the problem and delete it
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 16, 01:45:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And be prepared for a lot of unemployed sims!

Zephyr Zodiac
PattyB
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 16, 02:44:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found it!

I figured it had to have been in one of my Misc folders. Sure enough, there was an Education career hiding in my Misc from Installed Houses folder. Definately not on purpose.

Thanks BlueSoup, Zephyr, Angel & Anelca for pointing me in the direction.

And I thought I was so careful when reloading my downloads too.  Roll Eyes

Not at all awesome
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 16, 03:56:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm glad you found it.  Now that you have removed it, is everything going like it should?
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 16, 08:41:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

three finger salute?

man, ctrl-alt-delete is not the first thing that came to my mind...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: