More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 27, 21:16:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  restoring deleted sims?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: restoring deleted sims?  (Read 20332 times)
cyphirsofchaos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
restoring deleted sims?
« on: 2006 February 07, 22:11:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey.. I made some custom sims in pleasantview and they were all in one family to save time. I went into simpe and severed their relationsions and made them all cool and stuf fwhatever u kno modded them up and when i went back to pleasantview i accidently delted them from the sims bin!! ahh
i tried using simpe to get them into other famlies and i tried boolproping them back but they arent available in the bool prop thingy and when i put them in other fams in simpe it jsut crashes those fams..they dont ever load they remain in the waiting screen for hours!!
ahh
so is there a way to restore my deleted simmies..I tried to use the sims surgery tool to extrac them but they arent available in the extract menu prolly because they are considered "unlinked" and "no charactor file". so how can i go about creating these sims again if i ant them to look the same without starting from scratch?? is there a way to extrct them? or restore the orinals?
thanks.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: restoring deleted sims?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 07, 22:23:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

uh...what?

I think the answer is no, but I can't tell because...uhm, you seem to speaking a foreign language or something. Perhaps if you rewrite your post in English, or even a translatable langue known to humans here on earth I might be able to help you more?

Or perhaps some of the more highly involved intelligent people here can help you…
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 07, 22:40:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I enlisted the help of my 13-year-old daughter to decipher this - she saw nothing wrong with it (HUGE SIGH) but as she doesn't really know anything about the game, she can't help.  Anyway, as far as I can make out, shouldn't the Sims be available in CAS to re-use at will? 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 07, 22:41:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm with nectere on this one - the answer is no, you'll have to start from scratch, especially considering you seemed to have tried everything else without success.  Did you look in the Sim bin to see if they were there? I don't know if they will be, but at least you can check before you create the family all over again.

Also, English is a fine language, you oughtta try it sometime.  Wink
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 07, 23:54:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It make perfect sense to me.   What does that say about me lol.  Oh well I least I talk in complete sentences.  Most of the time.  If you ignore the typos.

And yeah, my guess is that your sims are gone.  I checked in SimPE and looked for a character I had deleted from the Sim Bin.  His character file is there, but it seems abbreviated, most of the information missing from his file.

So you are SOL I think.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 08, 00:19:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not simply clone them, re-create them in CAS  and then edit them to what you want again?  It sounds as though, even if they are appearing in the bin, that they are unlinked and this is why they get stuck in the loading screen.

Zephyr Zodiac
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 08, 00:36:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey.. I made some custom sims in pleasantview and they were all in one family to save time. I went into simpe and severed their relationsions and made them all cool and stuf fwhatever u kno modded them up and when i went back to pleasantview i accidently delted them from the sims bin!! ahh
i tried using simpe to get them into other famlies and i tried boolproping them back but they arent available in the bool prop thingy and when i put them in other fams in simpe it jsut crashes those fams..they dont ever load they remain in the waiting screen for hours!!
ahh
so is there a way to restore my deleted simmies..I tried to use the sims surgery tool to extrac them but they arent available in the extract menu prolly because they are considered "unlinked" and "no charactor file". so how can i go about creating these sims again if i ant them to look the same without starting from scratch?? is there a way to extrct them? or restore the orinals?
thanks.

Lemme see if I can take another whack at this since I am home now

1) You made some sims, modded them with SimPe, accidentally deleted them from the sim bin.
answer: They are gone, kaput, finished, deleted...move on
2) You tried to use SimPe to get them into other families after you deleted them, and it didn't work.
3) You tried using bool prop (testing cheats I assume) to summon them and they aren't available in the testing cheats menu of available family members.
4) You tried putting them into other families with SimPe after you deleted them and it crashes the families.
5) You said something about families not loading and the loading screen just sitting there for hours, I assume this is related to point #4.
6) You tried to use the sim surgery tool in SimPe to extract them but they aren't available in the extract menu because they are "unlinked" and have "no character file".
answer: Yep, no character file, as in they are gone, kaput, finished, deleted....move on
7) How can I go about recreating these sims again if I want them to look the same without starting from scratch? Is there a way to extract them? Or to restore the originals?
answer: see above or more simply put, the answer is still no.

You tried all the right things and it didn't work, when you delete a character they become unlinked forever more as far as I am aware. There is no way to restore them. Perhaps if you have some pictures of them in your storytelling folder, of if they were originally created in Bodyshop you can recreate them either by bringing them into CAS from Bodyshop or recreating them from pictures, if not, then you can only recreate them from memory, yours not thiers.

Thats all I've got.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 08, 00:46:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Nectere has probably said it all (having understood your post better than I did!).  However, if you backed everything up BEFORE you messed around with them and then accidentally deleted them, then you could still clone them - you would obviously have to swop the present neighbourhood folder for the back up and then load that into SimPE.

However, no back-up - no sims!  This is why you get the option in SimPE to back up before you start messing around!

Zephyr Zodiac
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 08, 00:53:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey Zeph is on to something, my SimPe is set by default to back up, I never turned it off, I suspect that it is this way for everyone.

Go look in your character folder for some files that end in .bak, or for your neighborhood file that ends in .bak If you have either of those you can simply delete the corresponding file that ends in .package and rename the .bak file to end in .package

But I suspect we already scared you off, or you were a hit and run poster in which case you will never read this.

Ah well...points and laughs anyway.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 08, 01:01:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Always wondered about those .bak files (not the ones in the characters folder, but the enormous ones in the Neighbourhood folder).  Can these be deleted if they are simply SimPE back-ups?  (I know the ones in characters can - I do it frequently).

But it's useful to know that they can be used for something!

Zephyr Zodiac
cyphirsofchaos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 08, 01:03:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Firstly, I don't understand how you guys can go about saying that I'm speaking a foreign language. No word rules/formations in other languages I know are even remotely similar to the words I used? Excuse my typos. Jeez. Can we just ignore the jargon and misspellings and fix the problem if you really do not have an answer why would you even bother replying? thats silly. when people just go oh thats odd gee that never happened to me i dont know the way to fix it.  sorry
well thankyou for your fine help anyway.
But, I believe youz'all  kinda misunderstood. Except the ZephyrZodiac i think he/she had it kinda.. anyway

ALLOW ME TO BE MORE EXPLANATORY:

I use SimPe alot to mess with the sims. Blah blah I made a bunch of sims in CAS, and they went into the Homless Sims Bin.
I accidently deleted them. Dead sims in the latest SIMpe show up like with a blue screen etc, Deleted Sims with "Unlinked" or "No charactor file" show up red i believe. So they are all red. first I tried boolproping them into the Burb's family that didn't work. Then I tried the Resurrect-o-nom, and I made the person who used it "Know everyone", that didnt work. They didn't show up in the list of dead sims probably because they did not die. Then I tried moving them into other families, in SimPe, I moved them into the Oldie's family. When I tried loading the Oldies every consecutive time, They just were in infinite load screen you know "Loading the Oldies." The deleted sims appeared on that load screen standing with the Oldies. But No, they do not show up in my CAS bin, or in Bodyshop's bin, or in the Homless Sims bin.
My next attempt was to try and use Sims Surgery in Simpe to export them into Body Shop. For those of you who don't know this heres what it does:

That's the tool you use to extract a sim's aesthetic appearence into BodyShop to tweak. Lets say you think Kalylynn Langerak is ugly as sin, looks like a man, bushy eyebrows, what have you... you can export her via the Sim Surgery tool, and it saves her file in the same format as one would have in BodyShop. You save her to "Saved Sims", and shell show up in BodyShop or CAS. Then you make a new sim in CAS using her as the base, tweak her to the desired appearance whatever, (the personality,aspiration,etc doesnt matter as only the appearance is what's changed), and you name her something like "Kaly2 New". Leave her in the homeless sims bin and exit. Then go back into SiMpe's Surgery tool, take the real Kalylynn "use" her face as the before face, and Kaly2 as the after face. The real Kalylynn will now LOOK like the kaly2 when you save. and you can delete kaly2 because she is just a useless look-alike.

THIS IS WHAT I TRIED TO DO NEXT. Except, the deleted sims do not show up in the list of sims to choose from to export for surgey probably because they are unlinked etc. So i can't do that.
Next step was to try to Clone them in SIMpe but they still show up with the red backround meaning they are still deleted sims.
NEXT i tried using the extract sim option in SIMpe but i noticed the file format is different from that of the sims in the "Charactors" folder or "Saved Sims" folder, and I was simply wondering if saving with this file format would still work or not? will the sim show up in BOdyshop/CAS under this format? has anyone tried it and what's the outcome? I realised i porbably can't get the ACTUAL sims back, so i figured theres some way to make a clone, or export their looks into bodyshop so I don't have to start from scratch.

Is that clearer? I apoligize if I wasn't before. anyway, so now that I've been completely thorough with you English Buffs, will you please offer some knowledgable advice? And please don't if you don't know it's irritating to have mail saying I have replies when they are just people criticizing my use of conversational english, or telling me they "Don't know" that's alittle silly agreed?
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just would prefer not to have to sort through answers that arent exactly answers. see?
Thankyou'z guys again.
peacee.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 08, 01:05:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

uh I did?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 08, 01:12:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I find it hard to understand why cloning shouldn't work - I've cloned ghosts with no problems such as you describe.  Even where the file is only 25KB, basically if the face and dna are there, then they can be cloned, at least that's what I found.  Only thing that springs to mind now is, which version of SimPE are you using, and are you using the new interface or the classic.  If you're using the new interface, why not try the classic, there are definitely differences in how they work.

Zephyr Zodiac
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 08, 01:13:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think everyone has answered your question, although it may not be the answer you wanted to hear.  No need to be so rude about us asking you to please make yourself clearer, since the first post was a mess of "jargon" as you call it.

Nectere was pretty thorough about saying that the Sims were gone, and since it seems you already tried everything to get them back, it seems you are Shit Outta Luck with getting the Sims back without just making them from scratch all over again.

Is that clear enough for you?
cyphirsofchaos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 08, 01:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

by the way with those .bak files.. DO they work when you change the format back to package etc? and if I messed with them alot before does it keep saving over the orginal back file or what because since i tried so many times now, it might have made alternate back files or copied over you kno?
I find it hard to understand why cloning shouldn't work - I've cloned ghosts with no problems such as you describe.  Even where the file is only 25KB, basically if the face and dna are there, then they can be cloned, at least that's what I found.  Only thing that springs to mind now is, which version of SimPE are you using, and are you using the new interface or the classic.  If you're using the new interface, why not try the classic, there are definitely differences in how they work.
yeah and thats a good idea, i had the old one.. now i have like one of the later copies.. not the latest i dont know which it is. is there a way to change from classic or new etc within the program or do i have to redownload the old one.
even if i do this, when i save the extracted file where do i save it to the "saved sims" folder or what?
AND does it save under the same format as the other sims in there, or..a diff one like the new simpe, and if it is diff does it matter? will it still show up.
its supposed to show in CAS/bodyshop yes?
cyphirsofchaos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 08, 01:19:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and as i did say....i wasn't trying to be a jerk. I wasn't attempting to be rude. I was being funny. It is some of you who were alittle rough around the edges. But as you can see I still havent gotten to the bottom of this, and i dont think they are gone because Zeph keeps offering new ideas. Thankyou Zeph. I will try once you get back to my last question. above^
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 08, 01:21:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

gah, you cant clone a character that has no charcater data.

As far as the .bak files you would simply change the extension from .bak to .package, but it wont let you do that until you delete the same .package file (the one that is messed up and that you are replacing)
cyphirsofchaos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 08, 01:23:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

gah, you cant clone a character that has no charcater data.

As far as the .bak files you would simply change the extension from .bak to .package, but it wont let you do that until you delete the same .package file (the one that is messed up and that you are replacing)

thankyou for not being sore about this. i do apoligize for sounding mean. I'm going out now, upon my return I shall try all this and let you guys know. thanks again.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 08, 01:25:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just go into your program files, open the simPE folder and you should find the icon for SimPE Classic.  Right click it, click on Create shortcut, then stick the shortcut on your desktop.  You can then choose either the new or the classic version - but if you decide to change, make sure the first one has completely closed downbefore you load the second.

Since the .bak files have never left your Characters folder (if they are in fact there) I can't see why changing them to the original file number shouldn't work.  Once you move a file out, you can't move it back again, it becomes unlinked somehow, but since these have never left, it's at least worth a try (but Back up everything first!)

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 08, 02:01:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If some of us seem rough around the edges, it's because we are constantly having to deal with people who type messages that are hard to understand using BBS-speak such as the kids on the official BBS.  Of course we all make mistakes and typos at times, but it is the responsibility of the poster asking for help to make his/her request as clear and understandable as possible to enable people to help him/her in the best way possible.  We are all only human.  I think I got the general idea of what happened, but it was difficult to read through the slang and misused and misspelled words.  It may not be what you want to hear, and it may work on the BBS or sites like it, but most of us who hang out here have learned to appreciate a higher caliber of English usage.  Thus, the comments about using "English."

As for your question, I am sorry to say that once you deleted those sims from the sim bin, their character data was destroyed.  Meaning their facial structure, etc., are gone.  So any attempts you made after that point were doomed to failure.  So unless you have a backup, then you are SOL as Blue said.  Your only hope at this point is to restore those .bak files as Nectere described, unless you happen to have made a backup before you started.  I know this isn't what you want to hear either, but that's how it is.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 08, 02:17:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I just checked on what Nectere said about cloning being impossible for unlinked sims - Hero Monty is unlinked,, and her file is only 25 or so KB, and even though I tried everything to put back her memories etc., when you open simSurgery she just isn't there.  Ghosts who have tombstones are there, also ghosts without tombstones but Hero Monty just isn't there at all.  (I imagine that Maxis deliberately deleted her after her death but left the unuseable file in situ.)  So, although Antonio was able to resurrect his brother, he couldn't resurrect his wife!  Pity, but he's go a new lady-friend now......

Zephyr Zodiac
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 08, 02:33:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didnt say unlinked Zeph, I said no character data, there is a huge difference. Unlinked sims you can relink, but if they have lost their character data also they are simply placeholders now. Junk files...or, serve as a purpose to keep memories in tact if anyone knew them.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 08, 02:42:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see what you mean, I get confused with which are which, especially at 2.00 am!  Still, I had wanted to revive Hero Monty, and that's really why I checked it out.  (Just thought it would make an interesting little scenario if she could be got to turn up again now Antonio's finally found someone else!)

Zephyr Zodiac
cyphirsofchaos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 08, 04:21:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

aight guys im not home yet so i havent tested out anything new but SIMSAMPLE from the modthesims2 forums offered this little peice of info for me which i will also look into. seems tedious though. its how to change sims' dna coding.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=1423.0
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 08, 07:45:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Erm, I'm getting a 404 Not Found error with that link.   Huh
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: