More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 26, 01:15:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Damn glitchy fridge!
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Damn glitchy fridge!  (Read 31804 times)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Damn glitchy fridge!
« Reply #25 on: 2006 January 04, 17:18:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the better at cooking my sims are, the more likely they are to have a fire!  So wierd!

I think you could be in trouble if you have the sprinkler put out the fire before the fireman arrives!  Probably get fined!

Zephyr Zodiac
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 January 04, 17:46:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ZZ, I don't see more fire than usual either both with low and high cooking skills. Actually in my MATY hood I am still waiting for a Sim to start a fire, did not happened yet though they did burn food a few times.

Sleepycat, I would also say it is better to have either sprinklers or fire alarm in one room, not both.  But you can put fire alarm next to the fire place and sprinklers in the kitchen if they are in seperate rooms.  I place the sprinklers right in front of the stove and make it point the stove.  I don't know if it would really change the odds for fire but I would put a more expensive stove to see if it would start a fire espacially if the Sim have low cooking skills.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 January 04, 17:55:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Missdoh, obviously things are happening differently in your game.  Maybe you get more burglaries?

Zephyr Zodiac
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 January 04, 18:00:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I did get a few burglaries mostly with lots on which my Sims have a car but it does not happen that often, but it does happen.

What is so different in my game compared to others?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 January 04, 18:04:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Haven't a clue, but since both cooking fires and burglaries are (I think) random, maybe when you get less burglaries you'll get more fires, and the opposite will happen in my game!

Zephyr Zodiac
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 January 04, 18:11:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It can be a valid explanation though I also have no idea of the ratios of fire vs burglary and if they are related in any way.

I did notice though that sometimes when I save a lot and something is scheduled to brake whatever my Sim will touch it will break, so it can one time be the sink, the next time the shower or the stereo.  No matter what I make that Sim do before, the moment it touches an item that can brake for sure it will brake!

Any of you notice that too?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 January 04, 18:16:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can tell if a loo or a wash-basin etc is about to break as you get an annoying noise like water dripping!  You'd only notice, though, if there's no other sounds on the lot.

Zephyr Zodiac
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 January 04, 19:10:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always thought the food processor added points to the food on top of the points from the counter, if you use both. Is it not so?

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
cheriem
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 January 04, 19:11:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I thought? Smiley

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 January 04, 19:34:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can tell if a loo or a wash-basin etc is about to break as you get an annoying noise like water dripping!  You'd only notice, though, if there's no other sounds on the lot.

I often get dripping sinks, but they rarely actually break. The sound really grates on my nerves sometimes.

Fail.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 January 04, 19:54:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check the current price of your stove before you send a Sim to cook on it.  For the expensive stove, once it gets down to $360 (original cost $900, I think) it's much more likely to cause a fire, even if your Sim has high cooking skill.

The same goes for dishwashers and trash compactors.  I've gotten in the habit of replacing them once their value goes below about $180, since they are potential fire hazards once they get to that state.

On the subject of burglars:  I haven't seen one in my game in *ages*.  I don't make any special effort to include burglar alarms in my houses, and most of my Sims are pretty rich so they have plenty of things to steal.  But I haven't seen a burglar since well before Nightlife.

Karen
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 January 04, 21:15:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only time I see a burglar is when I move a family into a new house.  They always show up within the first week or two.  Then I don't usually see them in that house again.  And I moved most of my families into new houses with bigger lots after I got NL so I could build garages for their new cars, and every one of them had a burglar show up!

I just wish the police officer was more efficient at fighting them.  Almost all of the burglars got away.  I think out of maybe 12 houses only 1 was caught!

And my sims have stove fires no matter what cooking skill or how expensive the stove is, although they seem to be happening less when the cooking skill is higher.  But they do still have them.

Did the original poster ever solve their problem?

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 January 05, 01:02:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to get loads of burglaries, then I found that aging the burglars down to babies solved the problem.  Now, though, I haven't needed to bother, this hood hasn't (yet) had a single burglary)!

And it really used to bug me when a top-price painting was stolen, the insurance only paid out a fraction of the value!  If that was the case in RL, who'd bother to insure?

Zephyr Zodiac
seven
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 January 05, 05:24:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't had any burglaries since NL either.

That's interesting -the idea of a higher chance of fire or need for repair the longer you have the appliance and replacing it when the return price gets low. Like it's getting old and 'faulty'. Hmmm....  never thought of that.

Just accept that it is smarter than you, and let it do its thing.   ~guess who
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 January 05, 06:12:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check the current price of your stove before you send a Sim to cook on it.  For the expensive stove, once it gets down to $360 (original cost $900, I think) it's much more likely to cause a fire, even if your Sim has high cooking skill.

The same goes for dishwashers and trash compactors.  I've gotten in the habit of replacing them once their value goes below about $180, since they are potential fire hazards once they get to that state.
The odds of causing a fire or breaking are not related at all to the value of the item, they're fixed by type in constants. Trash compactors are notorious unreliable and prone to electrocuting people, though. Thus why I tend to favor non-powered trashcans, which are indestructible.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 January 05, 09:00:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The odds of causing a fire or breaking are not related at all to the value of the item, they're fixed by type in constants. Trash compactors are notorious unreliable and prone to electrocuting people, though. Thus why I tend to favor non-powered trashcans, which are indestructible.

JM, I totally agree!  I have had sims move into a new house with a brand new expensive stove, and they still get fires!  But as I said, I've noticed that I now have to make my sims prepare a meal for themselves (even though they used to have no problems with it) before they can cook it for the family!  If I don't do this, they either burn it or set fire to it!

Trashcompactors are very bad news!  So also are exercise machines - I've seen a repairman electrocuted by one of those too!  But at least they don't go wrong so frequently!  If you use trashcompactors, they should be emptied frequently, then if they go wrong there seems to be less chance of electrocution!

Zephyr Zodiac
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 January 05, 12:00:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sleepycat, I would also say it is better to have either sprinklers or fire alarm in one room, not both.  But you can put fire alarm next to the fire place and sprinklers in the kitchen if they are in seperate rooms.  I place the sprinklers right in front of the stove and make it point the stove.  I don't know if it would really change the odds for fire but I would put a more expensive stove to see if it would start a fire espacially if the Sim have low cooking skills.

ahhh... that makes sense (don't think my sims would want to get fined)  it's odd I always forget about fireplaces! I must add some to some of my houses!

edit - I have hardly ever had burglaries
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 January 05, 14:33:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They were pretty frequent in the base game, but the same thing applied with Sims1.  The more EPs were added, the less the stuff from the base game happened.  I presume that the more variables are added to the game the less the game accesses the earlier ones.

Zephyr Zodiac
bloodstainedkisses
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 January 05, 18:47:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The weirdest thing happened! I moved out of a lot, thought I had the problem still. Added counters... more options became available.

Added a sink?

They are all available! That is seriously the weirdest thing I've ever heard of!

I'm glad it's fixed, though, and thanks for the suggestions. =)
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 January 05, 20:08:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't be too surprised if you were missing options when you didn't have counters - the sims had nothing to prepare the food on. They can't prepare food on tables. The sink is stranger - I've had sims be able to throw away their plates before when a sink wasn't immediately available, but perhaps some items have to be washed up. I'm not sure what to think if they didn't have a sink but had a dishwasher, though!

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 January 05, 23:38:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No sink, or sink in use = visit to the trashcan with the plate!  Sometimes wonder if they'll run out of plates!

Zephyr Zodiac
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 January 06, 00:02:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They never run out of anything they can pull out of their a**! lol

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 January 06, 00:16:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Amazing what they can store in thos neat little posteriors!

Zephyr Zodiac
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 January 06, 00:20:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I sometimes think those mops HAVE to hurt! Ouch!

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006 January 06, 01:02:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I should have thought they would!!!!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: