More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 27, 02:27:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  A question about sims 'learning to study'
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: A question about sims 'learning to study'  (Read 12341 times)
rma
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
A question about sims 'learning to study'
« on: 2005 November 28, 08:30:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does being taught to study effect the speed with which a Sim learns skill from a book? I know that it makes Sims finish homework and assignments faster, just wanted to know if school work was all it effected.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
Re: A question about sims 'learning to study'
« Reply #1 on: 2005 November 28, 09:22:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I know, learning to study only affects the speed of doing homework, not learning other skills.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Ellie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 28, 09:30:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What does learning to study mean anyway? How does a sim learn it?
vector
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 28, 10:20:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What does learning to study mean anyway? How does a sim learn it?

An older sim has to help them with their homework.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 28, 10:21:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Learning to study affects the completion time of Homeworks and possibly Uni Assignments, roughly doubling the base rate of completion.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ellie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 November 28, 10:24:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

An older sim has to help them with their homework.
ok, thanks  Smiley
I can hardly ever be bothered to let anyone help with the homework, but apparently it is useful so I will do it in the future.. good thing to know.
rma
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 November 28, 12:21:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you JM and IgnorantBliss Cheesy I am 90% sure that  leaning to study does affect the completion time of Uni Assignments. My student always seem to finish their assignment faster then their fellow dormies.

I also noticed that university students can teach each other how to study. Just have a fellow student help you with assignments.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 November 28, 14:31:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's rather silly is that students with no homework skill can help others to study.  You can even take control of a dormie and they can teach someone to study.  That seems a bit silly to me.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 November 28, 17:36:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's rather silly is that students with no homework skill can help others to study.  You can even take control of a dormie and they can teach someone to study.  That seems a bit silly to me.

Maybe it's just one of those things they eventually figure out on their own, I mean, I have a Sim that I didn't bother to potty train, yet they managed to teach their kids (heh heh)
I wish depriving Sims of training would actually impede their lives, it would be better if a Sim never taught to study could never get an A+ regardless of how hard they tried. (there would actually be a point to training them)

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 November 29, 06:11:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish depriving Sims of training would actually impede their lives, it would be better if a Sim never taught to study could never get an A+ regardless of how hard they tried. (there would actually be a point to training them)

And a Sim never potty-trained would never use the toilet? They'd be perfect for the email challenge -- they wouldn't even know what they were missing.

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2005 November 29, 06:33:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oooh... that would be very neat!

It would be cool if those things really did make a difference. I like that idea that you can't get an A+ if you've never learned to study.

I think Inge has a bed wetting hack, where sims who never learned to potty can wet their beds. I think it is only compatible for Uni. I downloaded it, but I was reluctant to try it, for fear of my game going 'splodie, because it adds a customized memory. I'm phear game 'sploidies due to memory. But maybe it wouldn't be so bad now that I've started from scratch and Maxis has upped the iteration number. Tongue

Hopefully Inge might be able to update that hack for NL as well? (I did not see the NL icon for it on ingelogical site).

It would also be cool if the sims who were never taught to walk were the only ones that have that lazy YA shuffle. Or maybe it works as a factor into running. If they never learned to walk, then they can't run?

And maybe, sims who never learned to talk should be a bit more shy? and/or their social decay is slower? Or perhaps something like they can never "learn" to freestyle, or they will always be awful singers no matter how much they do karaoke? Or maybe their skillling on karaoke improves at a much more reduced rate?

I would really like to see that. Then, it makes it a bit more of a challenge, that you actually would bother playing with and teaching toddlers.

Ste

Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 November 29, 07:14:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oooh... that would be very neat!

It would be cool if those things really did make a difference. I like that idea that you can't get an A+ if you've never learned to study.

I think Inge has a bed wetting hack, where sims who never learned to potty can wet their beds. I think it is only compatible for Uni. I downloaded it, but I was reluctant to try it, for fear of my game going 'splodie, because it adds a customized memory. I'm phear game 'sploidies due to memory. But maybe it wouldn't be so bad now that I've started from scratch and Maxis has upped the iteration number. Tongue

Hopefully Inge might be able to update that hack for NL as well? (I did not see the NL icon for it on ingelogical site).

It would also be cool if the sims who were never taught to walk were the only ones that have that lazy YA shuffle. Or maybe it works as a factor into running. If they never learned to walk, then they can't run?

And maybe, sims who never learned to talk should be a bit more shy? and/or their social decay is slower? Or perhaps something like they can never "learn" to freestyle, or they will always be awful singers no matter how much they do karaoke? Or maybe their skillling on karaoke improves at a much more reduced rate?

I would really like to see that. Then, it makes it a bit more of a challenge, that you actually would bother playing with and teaching toddlers.

Ste

Exactly along the lines of what I was thinking, a point to training them.

Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 November 29, 19:12:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I would create a CAS family with teens, I knew they had to learn to study and I hated it cause few asked for it and it seemed silly for a teen to sit there like a little kid but now the InSIMenator  has a hidden skill option for homework and you can give it to all the townies and Unies that never learned.  Like, how could you get into college and never learn to study??  Well, I guess it does happen all the time Grin
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2005 November 29, 19:49:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Like, how could you get into college and never learn to study??  Well, I guess it does happen all the time Grin

Believe you me, as a TA, I have been made painfully aware of just how badly and often this happens. Tongue I wish I could have a hack to instantaneously give my students the memory of having learned how to study. Roll Eyes

Ste

idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 November 29, 21:24:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Believe you me, as a TA, I have been made painfully aware of just how badly and often this happens. Tongue I wish I could have a hack to instantaneously give my students the memory of having learned how to study. Roll Eyes
Ste

I don't think learning to study is all there is to it. Nobody ever sat me down and specifically said, "this is how you study", and I have terrible study habits, but my grades are still great nonetheless. Natural ability does have something to do w/ it. Maybe some kids are just sort of...soft in the noggin?

And although the idea of a "purpose" to training is interesting, it's kind of unrealistic...In RL, teaching kids do help them do things earlier, but pple do eventually pick up on their own.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 November 29, 22:17:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most the toddler attributes are, in fact, largely innate to people, and often animals. Housebreaking is really more a process of teaching what shouldn't be peed on than what should be, and people will eventually get tired of peeing on themselves. Except maybe Brynne.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 November 30, 01:31:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's how it worked with my dog. Basically just impress upon him that the bed is a bad place to pee. And kids more or less teach themselves to talk, by being around talking people. Not quite sure about walking; I think it involves a bit more parental involvement.

I have no study habits. None. Nada. Zip. And my test scores are still pretty good. Homework is another story, but for that I blame the Sims.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 November 30, 02:57:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not quite sure about walking; I think it involves a bit more parental involvement.

I'm not so sure. My grandson is at the "just ready to start crawling any day now" stage - which means he pushes up on his hands and knees and rocks back and forth. No one taught him that - it must be instictive. But what an odd thing to be instinct, isn't it?

All you people who are doing well with no study skills - have you reached college-level yet? Personally, I think it doesn't matter much if you study, until college (or even for the first couple of years at college-level, depending) but after that it does begin to be important and actually the brighter kids who never needed to do any work in high school have a harder time at that point.

Unsouper
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 November 30, 03:03:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most the toddler attributes are, in fact, largely innate to people, and often animals. Housebreaking is really more a process of teaching what shouldn't be peed on than what should be, and people will eventually get tired of peeing on themselves. Except maybe Brynne.

Hahahahahahaha

I'll say it again. Peeing myself...not funny. Seeing you pee...funny.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 November 30, 03:13:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All you people who are doing well with no study skills - have you reached college-level yet? Personally, I think it doesn't matter much if you study, until college (or even for the first couple of years at college-level, depending) but after that it does begin to be important and actually the brighter kids who never needed to do any work in high school have a harder time at that point.

I'm in my first yr of college, and I actually have a 4.0 right now. And yet I procrastinate sooooooo much. Usually I study the night b4 an exam. Like I said, BAD study habits. But I think part of it is also the school. The school I'm going to pretty much gave me a full scholarship, so I figured I'd spend money on my graduate education and not have to worry about paying off the money for undergrad. But this school is no challenge at all! Which is prolly why I'm breezing thru it so easily. That's why I'm actually considering transferring, maybe to an ivy or something. In those schools, I'll prolly have to shape up some. But even in those schools some pple prolly don't have to try. In my AP Physics class in HS, when most of the the class was struggling to keep up, there were kids that would play calculator games in class and still end up w/ a 95-100 avg. And I actually went to a school for the academically gifted, which was VERY fast paced and rigorous, and AP Physics was an uber-difficult class among the difficult classes, and still they breezed right thru it. *sigh* Lucky bastards.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2005 November 30, 10:34:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can hardly ever be bothered to let anyone help with the homework, but apparently it is useful so I will do it in the future.. good thing to know.

You only have to help them once.  Then they have learned the skill and do fine on their own.  You keep getting the option to "help with homework", but there's no point.  At least I think that's right?!? 

Just checking again - My sims always get the icon pop up after exactly 1 lot of homework.  I've never seen it take more or less time - is that how it's written?   Again just checking -  I guess all the info on the Official board about having either sim wear a knowledge helmet  or having a knowledge sim doing the teaching is utter rubbish

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 November 30, 12:52:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...and people will eventually get tired of peeing on themselves.

I'm just glad Sims don't pee on each other. It's bad enough that I just found out Ricky Martin likes it.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 November 30, 13:32:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ewwwww...
Seriously?
EWWWWWWWWW
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 November 30, 14:45:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You only have to help them once.  Then they have learned the skill and do fine on their own.  You keep getting the option to "help with homework", but there's no point.  At least I think that's right?!? 

I seem to think it goes much faster with someone helping them even if they've already learned the study skill, and it seems more fun. (or at least less un-fun) I also have a feeling that it goes slightly faster for a teen wearing a thinking cap, but I'd have to check on that.

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2005 December 02, 18:37:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess I could test it myself - I just haven't the patience to note the time they started and the attention span to be there when they finish so I can note that time - well not for umpteen iterations with different combinations.  Then I wonder if something else is involved like mood.  Then I think Ahah -  wouldn't it be easier to ask someone who has read the code!

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: