More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 04, 19:33:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  OMG the lag is unbearable!!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: OMG the lag is unbearable!!  (Read 18328 times)
blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
OMG the lag is unbearable!!
« on: 2009 October 18, 04:29:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

omg, so thanks to the help of many others, i finally got the awesome mod to work with my game, but what do i come to find, that my game is slow as a freaking snail in a pile of my poo! i thought it was possibly graphics, so i turned them all to low, now it was about as slow as a turtle with arthritis! (for the sake of my abscure references, we will say that the turtle is slightly faster than the snail in poo).

yikes, its terribad! i tried to make new sims of me and my girl and about in the time it took me to make those first two sims, i was only in the everyday clothes for the first one this time! it took an approximate 30 seconds for each little menu to load, as opposed to before when it was approx. in 2-3 seconds. (these times im using are not accurate, i did not use a stopwatch to time how it was before and after, but the point is that the loading time of each menu seems to be nearly 5 times longer than what it used to be)

is there a reason for this apparently sudden slowdown? is there specific items i can turn off with the awesomemod config that will pump it up a bit? help would be extremely appreciated, i just want to play my sims 3 today! im sick of having to deal with the bs, i just wanna plaaaayyyy.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: OMG the lag is unbearable!!
« Reply #1 on: 2009 October 18, 04:44:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
JamesNine
Blathering Buffoon

Llama

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 October 18, 04:46:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have any slowdown with awesomemod when editing in mirror, dresser, or CAS. They just load right up! Do you have a bunch of custom skins, clothes, or hairs that are clogging everything up (that shouldn't slow down menus though).

My savegames do load slower but I think that's because more people move into the neighborhood.

Maybe another mod is incompatible?

Maybe you should post your computer specs because maybe the computer isn't tip top.

More Awesome Sig
blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 October 18, 05:03:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

no, i do not have a bunch other clothes mods, i only have one clothing piece, and a skin tone mod. the game is also much slower during load, and game actions, not just editing. i know my computer is not tip top in any way shape or form, but i rarely had any lag other than the occasion item showup lag when countinuelly jumping around the city, now my game will pass nearly every other second when my sims are merely walking around the house. to J.M., very cute, but not helpful at all, and internet has nothing to do with this, its more like "i need moar user friendly mods"
SilverOne
Retardo Lander

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 October 18, 05:31:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

J.M. created AM to be quite user friendly by supplying the online Config file and Manual in lengthy detail for new users to read MOAR and study. JamesNine asked for your comp specs in an effort to help you further with your continuing problems with AM. Instead of MOAR complaining, you need to provide what is asked of you so that others can help you here.

Also watch your capitalization, punctuation, spelling and grammar.

"DISOBEDIENCE, n. The silver lining to the cloud of servitude."
blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 October 18, 05:54:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Must I really watch my grammar?  I figured this was a normal forum atmosphere, now I knew that you guys were not ones for such "leet" speaking and such, but I figured you would still be lax on extreme proper grammar and the such, after all it's the internet not school. Yet, if the community are sticklers about that here, I will abide by such seeing as how this seems to be the most active and helpful forum I have come across yet.

Now, I did not complain more, I answered the questions concerning if I had other skins, clothes, hairs, or the likes as if that would be making my game quiet slothish.  As for my last sentence, that was clearing a response back to J.M. in his comment, which was irrelevant, so I was making an irrelevant message back.  I know that he was the creator of the mod, I thank him for such, and I meant no insult, but I still stick by my comment in that I see more threads of issues rather than praise, but that is clearly aside the point at the moment.

Although I did not formely answer JamesNine by listing out every inch of my machine because honestly, I do not know what exactly he expects, since you will find various different definitions of what a user wants when they ask for "system specs" across the internet, and because hell, I don't even exactly know how to find all of my system specs.  So if someone would like to step me through the process of finding what it is that you want on a Vista 32-bit, then be my friend, and I will answer.  What I did do, is answer his question informaly, by stating that although it is not of tip-top state, that it played The Sims 3 perfectly smooth on an average of medium settings across the board, and now after installation of the AM, it's slow as hell on low settings across the board.  So, as can be slightly assumed by that, my computer's ability to load the graphics involved with the game does not seem to be the problem, as it is just as laggy with lower settings as it is with high.  I deducted that it must be something concerning the files that I have put into my game folder's with the AM that has caused this, such as the perhaps excess of different items, i.e. Supreme Commander, the story mode thing, and the such, the was making my game run slower since it was not used to processing all of those extra things.

And Silver, I do not know why you insisted on continuely caps locking MOAR, because if you noticed I'm not an idiot, and the reason I spelt it MOAR was because that was how it was spelt in J.M.'s posting.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2009 October 18, 06:01:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If we ask for specs, we want specs. Processor, ram, video card. Did you create the framework properly? Are you using framework from Pescado or Delphy and not someone like Rose/Peggy's? If you remove awesomemod & the config file, does your game return to regular speeds?
In short: MOAR information pls.

blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 October 18, 06:14:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, everyone is just loving the MOAR aren't they? Comments will be kept to myself but boy are the comments flowing.

The framework I am using is from Delphy. End question.

My processors are two Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @2.20GHz. End question.

My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT. End question. (I'm hopefulling going to get a new one for Christmas, I can't stand this crapstack anymore.)

As for my ram, I do not know, if you would be abliged to tell me where to find out, I would be happy to suit you with the answer. If you would just like to keep asking me for my ram after the statements of me not knowing how to find out (luckily I dwelled into my control panel and was able to figure out the above specs), then you can go by the guestimate that it is whatever is standard for a ACPI x86-based PC. Question still open.

As for the config files, I will test that out as soon as my game finishes saving, seeing as how I was going to get rid of the autosave anyway.  My save game command was already slow enough for me to be able to get up from the computer to use the restroom, get a drink, and get back with time to still watch the crystals float around, so that happening every twenty minutes was a fail choice on my behalf.  I will report back as soon as I test out the package removal. Question still open.

Edit: As I foolishly forgot, I cannot take out the awesomemod package files and play the game, for I need the awesomemods cd bypass to play the game with the 1.46 patch, otherwise my game glitches out unless I use a patch of 1.27 or less, and of course it is known that AM needs at least a patch of 1.3 or higher. So that, is out of the question.  But, it can be deducted that the lag is either caused by the AM, or by the patch then I guess? More help required please...
« Last Edit: 2009 October 18, 06:30:31 by blackninja » Logged
SilverOne
Retardo Lander

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 October 18, 06:30:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go to your Start button, left click on it and then click on the Run... icon, you will see a window, Open: type in "dxdiag" without the quotes and you should see on the first menu the specs for your RAM.

"DISOBEDIENCE, n. The silver lining to the cloud of servitude."
blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 October 18, 06:45:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you SilverOne, my Ram is 3070MB
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 October 18, 07:03:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My processors are two Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @2.20GHz. End question.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 October 18, 07:20:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol, I see you quite like kittens there huh.  Inadequate for what praytell?  For the game? For your mod? Because my computer seemed to be handling the base game quite well.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 October 18, 07:28:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unlikely. If your game is suddenly operating very slowly, before you're accessing anything computational at all, your computer was never adequate and the growth of your neighborhood and explosion of content has likely brought it down to its knees. The computer you're using is not really very good and you NEED MOAR COMPUTAR.

blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 October 18, 07:35:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know the computer I'm using isn't the best, but it works. I do not have to money to get a new one, and even if I did, it's not at the top of my list of things I need.  I'm fairly positive I would be the one to know if my game was running fine before, and it was.  The recommended settings were all on medium, and the game ran smooth as my groin...well...probably a day or two after I shaved it.  Of course I would love it to run as smooth as a freshly shaved pubic region, but as you said, my computers not that good.  But it still ran it as good as I needed it, that's for sure.

EDIT: By the way, I checked the game's requirments, and as I stated, all standards are met.
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 October 18, 07:51:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol, I see you quite like kittens there huh.  Inadequate for what praytell?  For the game? For your mod? Because my computer seemed to be handling the base game quite well.

I was playing on a mac laptop up until recently. Once AwesomeStory really got going the lag was too much to bear. I put all the graphics settings down, and like you, saw a minuscule improvement. So in a way way, it *is* AM that's doing it: my game ran fine when it was the crappy, nothing going on, town soon-to-be extinct pre-AwesomeStory version because that scenario didn't tax the mac's resources by creating story events and especially by increasing the population. The bottom line for me is that the mac can't handle that sort of thing but the game is unplayable without AM... it was just starting to get interesting, too. Sigh. So I'm back on my pc--and that game crashes about every 90 to 180 minutes. No idea why. So the autosave feature is very good on that one.

INTP.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 October 18, 08:06:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EDIT: By the way, I checked the game's requirments, and as I stated, all standards are met.
Meeting the base game's minimum standards is not the same as meeting the minimum standards for running non-suckily, especially since the calculations used by AwesomeMod are more computationally intensive. If you want to play below-spec, you'll probably have to deactivate most of the Story Mode sanity checks, or turn off Story Progression entirely, as calculating logical behaviors is more expensive than random, idiotic shit, or nothing at all. Alternatively, depopulating your neighborhood is a good way to reduce the load. Just because you can meet minimum spec doesn't mean it won't run like shit. It's not some magical switch that happens the moment you pass the line.
« Last Edit: 2009 October 18, 09:21:38 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 October 18, 08:14:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The recommended settings were all on medium, and the game ran smooth as my groin...
The (graphical) settings don't affect the CPU load.

Are these the same requirements which suggest TS3 could be played with an archaic 2GHz single core CPU? Where have you been the last couple of years that you don't know the minimum requirements are just outright lies?
blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 October 18, 08:18:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well see, this is what I asked of what my computer was not good enough for. And you answered my question indirectly, it is not powerful enough for your mod.  I can play the game itself fine, but it is all the extra content that comes with your mod that makes it slow.  Well, as of now, I have decreased the lag an extraordinary amount, I guess we will have to see how it goes once the story progression gets deeper as pheonixflying said.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 October 18, 08:23:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The extra content can be easily turned off, although then you expose the underlying awfulness of the original system that was replaced. But your computer really isn't adequate for that, either, and turning off Story Progression entirely is probably your best bet for reducing load.

blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 October 18, 08:40:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, so we have identified the problem, we discovered the reasoning of the problem, and we have offered multiple solutions for fixing the problem, all of which I gratefully thank the users who have posted in this thread.  For now, I will probably have to take the low route, of disabling most, if not all of the story mode progression, but like I said, I would like this to be only for now.  As I have mentioned before, I have been in the market for a pump-up for my computer, not only for this game, and not only for games alone, but for a multi-tude of reasons, but as I have also stated, my finacial situation is...tight to say the very least lol.  But, with the holiday season coming up, and the hopefullness of becoming employed, and having money left from my....fees that I must take care off, what would you suggest as being an adequate processor to use? Would a possible Pentium E5300 or E6300 be suitable? Or should I just say fuck Pentium and try for Intel Core? Which would most likely end up coming down to Core2 E7500?  Also, what would you suggest for a good, cheap video card? As I said, I have NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT, and I was thinking of replacing this before anything else, but now looking around I would say that the processor would be the better first choice.  

EDIT: Ooooohhhh I actually just found some Intel Core 2 E7400 for a pretty good price. Anyone know if this is a solid choice? Anyone have this? I'm just looking for a sort of user review.
« Last Edit: 2009 October 18, 08:54:21 by blackninja » Logged
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2009 October 18, 09:00:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you are trying to do it on the cheap, check out what is the max processor your mb can handle. Even better if it is a reasonably new socket type for further upgradability. I'm using an old AMD AM2 socket, but my mb will take newer AM2s and AM3s. As for video cards, I'm quite pleased with my Nvidia GTS250 1gb. Things are pretty, and it was AUD $170.
Edit: Can't say I've done much with core2, all the recent work I've done building kit is quadcore.

blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 October 18, 09:08:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Skadi, lol I feel ashamed to ask, but I'm rather tired and out of it, but how would I check to see what the maximum processor my motherboard could handle? lol.
Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 October 18, 09:17:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@blackninja: Since the cache on your E2200 is cut back to a point where it really hurts, an E7400 might be up to twice as fast - 1.5 times as fast at the very least. If the lag right now is really so unbearable, this won't change your game perfomance into a fairy tale of smoothness though. There might be something else jamming the gearwheels.

Check the mark and name of your mainboard, and then look up the CPU support list on the manufacturer's web site.

It's hard to tell what you would consider a "cheap" video card, but I'd suggest a ATI Radeon HD5750. At any rate you'll have to check if your power supply is capable to fuel a new CPU and a new video card.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 October 18, 09:23:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TS3 is not really cutting-edge graphics and likely will not require a graphics card upgrade, given that it is reported to run at 500 fps on newer cards to the point where they simply catch fire. Your problem appears to be CPU-bounded. An E7400 should be a reasonable-spec system that exceeds one of my test systems I test on, so it should be "enough"...until the expansions start, anyway.

Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 October 18, 09:36:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TS3 is not really cutting-edge graphics and likely will not require a graphics card upgrade, given that it is reported to run at 500 fps on newer cards to the point where they simply catch fire.
A Geforce 6600GT usually has only 128MB VRAM, and I doubt this is enough for TS3. And a video card isn't allowed to overheat no matter what. If it does, it's just crap.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: