More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 02, 16:13:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What a waste of food!
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What a waste of food!  (Read 16749 times)
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
What a waste of food!
« on: 2005 October 26, 19:23:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please tell me that I am not the only one who is obsessed with not wasting food.  I only let them serve food if there are at least 3 very hungry sims on the lot.  Usually it's just a chef salad.  Sometimes I let one sim make food, eat it halfway, and then let another sim eat the rest.  How sad is that.
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: What a waste of food!
« Reply #1 on: 2005 October 26, 19:27:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I understand your pain Cheesy

Mine get the buffet and that's it. They seldom cook at all. Except for the crazy nanny, she cooks even with the buffet at her disposal.

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Lynda
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 October 26, 19:36:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not fanatical about it, but I also hate to waste food.  There's nothing worse than serving food when only two sims are hungry.

I also let sims eat off the others' plate.  I usually only do so when one sim gets full and I tell her to stop.  I'll try to find another sim who isn't very hungry, but could use being topped off and if they're not doing anything, they get to eat the leftovers.

I seem to be one of the few who don't really mind how long it takes for sims to eat meals now (I definitely see a difference, but it hasn't caused any problems with my sims) so I try to wait for everyone to get halfway hungry or for a couple of sims to get VERY hungry.
hyperCat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 October 26, 20:28:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're not the only one. I wish you could "serve dinner for 4" or something so you don't throw food and money down the drain.

I am kitty meow face, meow meow, look at me!
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 October 26, 21:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a great hack by dizzy2 on VS for serving only as many sims that are actually hungry (therefore not wasting any food) . Here's the link: http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/showthread.php?t=2002
I use it in my game and think it's wonderful.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2005 October 26, 22:31:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Dizzy's hack too and I agree, it's wonderful.  I wouldn't be without it now.  It's wonderful to be able to serve 2 meals or 12 meals at once, whatever you need.  Why Maxis couldn't have made it work like this is anyone's guess.  Too lazy or too tight with their cash, I suppose.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 October 26, 22:39:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the link, KellyQ!  I'll try that out.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 October 26, 23:32:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have often thought it would be cool to have a "leftovers" option, so that the sims could put the serving plate with the extra helpings into the fridge, and then they could eat it the next day. Much more realistic - I often cook enough dinner to last 2 nights.

radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 October 26, 23:49:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But...it's not real food.

Instant gratification takes too long.
noname
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 October 27, 00:03:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It still costs simoleans though. Besides, even if your sims are rich, or you're using the auto refill fridge mod, it still sucks to have uneaten food out to go stale and attract flies and food poisoning.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 October 27, 04:44:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found Monique's no spoiled food hack at MTS2.  She has one where food never spoils, one where it doesn't spoil for 12 hours, and one for 24 hours.  I use the 12 hour one because I think it's a nice compromise.  It's kind of like having leftovers.  I also use dizzy's smart serve hack and TJ's serve everyone hack.

Monique's hack is here:  http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=84926
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 October 27, 05:37:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The breakeven point of serving food is 4 servings. The "Serve" option consumes 4x the supply rating of a single meal, but produces 6 plates. So if you're serving 4 or more, you're not wasting anything. Less than that, and you should not serve.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 October 27, 09:45:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm totally lazy and a real spendthrift. I don't care if there are plates left over, as long as none of the sims goes hungry. I usually run pretty full houses so there are rarely more than 2-3 plates left over. I don't use the auto-fill fridge hack either.

Edit: In sims2 they don't seem to need more than one main meal a day.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 October 27, 11:10:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's only with the expensive fridge and the expensive cooker plus high cooking skills that you can get away with only one meal a day!  (Except kids, best to let them snack, then they don't get fat!)

The No Eat Crap hack seems to work OK with NL, so if you have a problem with sims overeating, this helps, though it won't stop lazy sims eating too much and getting fat!

Zephyr Zodiac
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 October 27, 11:59:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the 'fat' female sims, more shapely. Fat male sims get the potbelly shape which isn't so attractive.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 October 27, 18:29:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But have you looked at your fat female sims from the rear? Grin

Zephyr Zodiac
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2005 October 27, 19:00:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But have you looked at your fat female sims from the rear? Grin

Ack, thank goodness MATY is back up.  I was starting to get jittery.  Thanks for the info, JM!
ZephyrZodiac, quit looking at their butts!  Sheesh!

knitro
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 October 27, 19:25:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish we could have a serve the kids option on the fridge, that way it only makes food for the kids on the lot and the maker would not eat it. that way the kids could eat something besides juice and chips seeing as how they can't cook themselves.

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"
krynnwoman
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2005 October 27, 19:37:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it just me but I swear that since NL my Sims are a little smarter than before about serving food. I have noticed that if a Sim is told to serve a meal, they only make enough meals for people who are on the lot.

This means if Dad starts making dinner before Mom gets home, only him and the 2 kids get plates of food. I've also noticed it when I have Uni students serving food - they don't count anybody who is at class.

So maybe Maxis is moving in the right direction but I definitely need to get one of the above hacks so I can pick the number of meals served - I mean if a Sim is going to be home soon, I'd rather have a meal waiting for them rather than have them then cook themselves.

Even the night must fail/For light sleeps in the eyes
And dark becomes dark on dark/Until the darkness dies.

Soon the eye resolves/Complexities of night
Into stillness, where the heart/Falls into fabled light

-Hymn to the Dawn, Dragonlance Legends
Witches
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2005 October 27, 20:19:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I've noticed that too ... and I agree. I hate having to tell everyone to make their own meals. So much easier if one person just does it. I don't care about wasting food.

My big food pet peeve is the occasional fridge glitch I get that only lets my sims have instant meals. This happens to them no matter what their cooking skill levels are. I even had it happen to a celebrity chef once. Everyone else in the house can have whatever they want and this sim has to have instant meals unless someone else cooks for them. This has happened to me more than a few times. When I exit and come back in the glitch may, or may not, be gone. I had one sim who ate nothing but instant meals for what seemed like forever.

Is the game trying to keep my sims from getting fat?  Wink

Visit The Sims 2 Writer's Block for stories about the sims.
Vesca
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 October 27, 20:59:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish we could have a serve the kids option on the fridge, that way it only makes food for the kids on the lot and the maker would not eat it. that way the kids could eat something besides juice and chips seeing as how they can't cook themselves.

Dizzy2 has a cool hack - the smart serve - and the kids can actually cook anything the adults can (provided they have the cooking skills).
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 October 27, 21:26:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it just me but I swear that since NL my Sims are a little smarter than before about serving food. I have noticed that if a Sim is told to serve a meal, they only make enough meals for people who are on the lot.

This means if Dad starts making dinner before Mom gets home, only him and the 2 kids get plates of food. I've also noticed it when I have Uni students serving food - they don't count anybody who is at class.

So maybe Maxis is moving in the right direction but I definitely need to get one of the above hacks so I can pick the number of meals served - I mean if a Sim is going to be home soon, I'd rather have a meal waiting for them rather than have them then cook themselves.

The hack only counts the hungry sims actually on the lot; so if someone is at work, they won't have a hot meal sitting there waiting for them when they get home, they'll have to cook it themselves.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 October 27, 21:39:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just because it isn't served out onto the table doesn't mean it's not there. A sim which arrives late or is still hungry can always get seconds from the platter.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2005 October 27, 21:44:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The hack only counts the hungry sims actually on the lot; so if someone is at work, they won't have a hot meal sitting there waiting for them when they get home, they'll have to cook it themselves.

KellyQ, something tells me that YOU would love a hot steaming meal waiting when you come home from work.  Boy, I wish I could find a hack for THAT!
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 October 28, 02:51:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The things is that most of my sims aren't hungry when they get home from work, so feeding them is pointless.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: