More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 23, 18:55:01

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  I broke OFB
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I broke OFB  (Read 5260 times)
DesmeiTheWench
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
I broke OFB
« on: 2007 October 01, 12:52:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello all, you may remember me as the wench who lost all custom content when she installed NL. Never did figure out why, just had to re-download everything. That was so much fun!! /sarcasm

Anywho, just got OFB and installed it, no probs. Managed to load a family to find most of their furniture was bright blue. No major issue, just used the little swatch thing to recolour their stuff. Managed to play the family for 45 minutes, then it froze. I said a nasty word and just shut my computer (non-Intel Mac Mini) off and went to bed. Tried to spark it up this morning and it gets hung up on the intro screen, right at "reticulated splines for sale $2000". WTF? I've verified disk permissions and all that but no joy. Should I just suck it up and reinstall?
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: I broke OFB
« Reply #1 on: 2007 October 01, 20:52:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure if this happens on Win platforms, but when the game crashes for some reason on mac, it can leave behind corrupt files.  Said files subsequently may refuse to load.

First, try removing your Neighbourhoods and Downloads folder and start up the game.  If the vanilla game loads successfully, then you won't have to reinstall.  The corrupted files are then probably in your N'hood or DL folders. 

This would be the time to crack open that backup copy of your neighbourhoods.  Put that in, and see if the game will load. 

After that, put your DL folder back in.

None of this necessarily has anything to do with what caused your game to crash in the first place.  It might crash again, and leave behind more garbage, so I suggest you go through your hacks and CC, to make sure everything is updated for OFB.  Also, if you've ever downloaded lots, you may have hidden hacks in the DL folder which conflict with the new EP.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 October 01, 20:57:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine did that yesterday -- my OFB-only computer, so it's a similar situation.  I found that a had downloaded something that required a later expansion -- two things actually, an easel cloned from a later version of the game and the buffet table converted from Pet Stories.  The easel caused crashing, and the buffet caused eternal loading.   Tongue  Dump your Downloads folder onto your desktop and see if it fixes the problem.  If it does, check your most recent downloads.  (Make sure you install the patch, too, it fixes a lot.)

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 October 01, 21:00:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*hides*
It's all my fault. Is it ok now?

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
DesmeiTheWench
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 October 01, 21:34:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zazazu, stoppit! No more of the game breakage now, you hear?  Tongue

Seelindarun, THANK you! I thought I was losing it. I'm doing the WooHoo thing to all my downloads and there are suddenly a bunch of corrupted ones, so I'm slowly weeding them out. The game DOES load in its vanilla state, so it's obviously due to my crash that I'm having issues (indeed, now the game crashes at the intro instead of just hanging there)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 October 01, 22:08:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zazazu, stoppit! No more of the game breakage now, you hear?  Tongue
I was stupid and assumed the easels would work with just base game because I knew that the main options were there since base. But forgot that Be Chewed/Be Scratched was an interaction for pets + easel. Plus, now that I think about it, Paint...Custom Painting wasn't there until, I believe, Pets. So I suck for not testing with the base game only configuration.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
DesmeiTheWench
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 October 01, 22:20:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I had downloaded some easels last night from MTS2. Those were the first things I killed, but alas...I'll keep checking.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007 October 01, 22:36:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy  Don't worry about it, Zazazu.  I think most people have the expansions, anyhow.  I tried messing with one of the easels myself to see if I could make it work by deleting every pet option and every custom painting action, but it didn't change anything.   I think the item would have to be re-made from scratch, which is probably not worth it unless you are dedicated to making it base-game compatible.  (Which would, of course, be very cool, but I wouldn't expect it.)

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 October 01, 22:48:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@DesmeiTheWench: Have you checked to see if your version of the CEP program is compatible with just NL and OFB?

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 October 01, 22:55:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought the CEP was compatible with everything.

THE CEP v.6 WORKS IN ANY GAME, FROM THE BASE-GAME TO SEASONS
from the MTS2 download page:  http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=92541

edited to fix typo
« Last Edit: 2007 October 02, 02:23:38 by BastDawn » Logged

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 October 01, 23:47:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the item would have to be re-made from scratch, which is probably not worth it unless you are dedicated to making it base-game compatible.  (Which would, of course, be very cool, but I wouldn't expect it.)
Is most likely true. I trashed the replacement textures when I saw they were approved, so going back and extracting, then figuring out how to load up just base game and replace/recode is beyond the amount of attention I wanted to put into this project. I've other things on the burner.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
DesmeiTheWench
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 October 02, 20:29:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do have CEP, but I can't remember when I updated it, either after Uni or NL. I'll keep weeding through my downloads. According to WooHoo, I had 137 corrupt files. I find that really hard to believe, but I trashed them all anyway. I am aware that I'll come to regret that, but what the hell. Re-downloading at the speed of dial-up is so *challenging*, you know?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: