More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 24, 12:33:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  "Cat" Sims & "Dog" Sims?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: "Cat" Sims & "Dog" Sims?  (Read 3958 times)
AuKestrel
Corpulent Cretin

INTJ mother of an ENTP child. Halp!

View Profile
"Cat" Sims & "Dog" Sims?
« on: 2007 June 09, 21:52:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let the fun-making commence!

I'm trying another Legacy challenge (I let them have too many kids the first  time around and it got really complicated and... oh! look! Shiny!). The current generation consists of two Fortune Sims so they had one kid and they seem perfectly happy about that (the mom actually never wanted a kid at all, even when birth time grew near, so I'm letting her be Career Woman). However, the father keeps rolling a want for a kitten; the mother consistently rolls a want for either a puppy/kitten or a puppy. The father, who grew up in the house with two of the already existing dog members (!), has STR < 20 with the dogs and yet has a 98 with the kitten I finally caved and got him. The mother, who married into the family, is friends with both dogs and plays with them all the time and never pays attention to the cat on her own or rolls wants to interact with the cat. The father continues to roll kitten wants even after he rolled a kitten/puppy want and I added yet another puppy to the family, and of course continues to roll interaction with the cat wants. The mother continues to fawn over all three of the dogs and to roll more puppy wants as well as dog interaction wants.

So I wanted to ask - do you think this is in the programming? Or is it just me anthropomorphosising? I mean, could the programming result in Sims who prefer cats and Sims who prefer dogs? Is it that sophisticated?

(And what the heck is up with the Fortune Sims wanting nothing but puppies and kittens anyway? I swear, I would kill for a good old-fashioned "buy a stereo costing more than 1800" want right now!)

((As another aside, I have never had a puppy and kitten in the same household at the same time before and... awww! They play together! I must have spent several Sim hours watching them because it was just. so. CUTE.))
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: "Cat" Sims & "Dog" Sims?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 10, 03:36:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I feel you on the Legacy thing. I never got beyond Gen 5 before and now that I'm doing Alphabet/Apoc/my own spin, I'm finally on Gen 9. If it's not satisfying your play style or "needs", modify it or ditch it.

As for the puppy/kitten thing, I've definitely noticed that fortune sims tend towards those wants and that they prefer one or the other. Kids seem to be a bit more scatterbrained. Hardcoded? Not sure.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 10, 04:57:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno about a preference for cats over dogs or vice versa, but given how certain other want trees tend to work, fulfilling wants related to a specific pet probably makes them more likely to roll more wants related to that specific pet, at least in the short term.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 10, 05:09:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims don't have distinct favoritisms towards cats or dogs, they just randomly roll one and annoy you with it until you get one.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
AuKestrel
Corpulent Cretin

INTJ mother of an ENTP child. Halp!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 10, 17:07:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I feel you on the Legacy thing. I never got beyond Gen 5 before and now that I'm doing Alphabet/Apoc/my own spin, I'm finally on Gen 9. If it's not satisfying your play style or "needs", modify it or ditch it.

As for the puppy/kitten thing, I've definitely noticed that fortune sims tend towards those wants and that they prefer one or the other. Kids seem to be a bit more scatterbrained. Hardcoded? Not sure.

*points down* Pescado says no, so I must have just hit a statistical anomaly with these two. Sheesh. I took the heir's sisters to college last night and got them through because I couldn't stand the damn kitten/puppy wants another minute.

I am currently reading your Alphabet challenge - I am up to Dusty. This is a really interesting idea! I had not come across the Alphabet challenge before.

PS - I saw your house! The one you posted a picture of when I asked a previous dumb question! That just tickled me, I don't know why.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: