More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 01, 03:22:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Issue with reflective skintones
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Issue with reflective skintones  (Read 6094 times)
marvine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Issue with reflective skintones
« on: 2007 May 25, 18:20:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I installed Pets and Seasons - both on the same day, but I guess Pets is responsible for this - the face of skintones using an envcube has lost it's reflectivity and the colour is weird.
I was able to fix that only by changing the material definition in the character files to SimStandardMaterial; doing this in the file of saved sims doesn't seem to have any effect, the material definition still reverts to SimSkin in the character file when putting the sim in game.
I could still live with that, but I'd need to share a sim using a reflective skintone and not all users will want or be able to edit the character file; the biggest issue though is that when you do that, the sim will use the eyes of the skintone instead of any custom ones.

Um, was this clear, and would anybody have any idea about how to fix that? I mean, in the best of cases keep the face's reflectivity without any SimPE editing by the end user, or else find settings to make custom eyes that would apply over it?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: Issue with reflective skintones
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 25, 20:07:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't a clue what you just said, but would seeing a working reflective skintone help you any? I have some of those I've downloaded, thought I must confess I haven't tried them in a few expansions.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ayslhyn
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 May 25, 20:48:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those shiny custom skintones look horrible in my game whatever I do. Sims sporting them look as if they have dipped their faces in lard then added some luminous flour for good measure.

Mind I am using a mac so what do I know?

akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 May 25, 22:28:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those shiny custom skintones look horrible in my game whatever I do. Sims sporting them look as if they have dipped their faces in lard then added some luminous flour for good measure.

Mind I am using a mac so what do I know?

I'm pretty sure Marvine is actually referring to METALLIC skintones -- i.e. those meant to make a Sim look like a robot made out of highly polished silver-toned metal. Not the ones with the shiny shiny cheeks.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 May 25, 23:05:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I thought too, I have three of those but they are easily found at MTS2.

marvine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 May 26, 06:10:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, the metallic looking skintones are what I mean - no problem until Pets and Seasons, and now the effect is lost on the face when importing the finished sim in game.
It looks ok in CAS, wrong in family CAS and in game. It's also wrong on sims that displayed properly before I installed these EPs.
What I found is that the SimSkin type of material is applied to the face in the character file, when the envcube (the additional texture used for the reflections) needs the SimStandardMaterial to work (but then how did it work before? The settings surely weren't changed in already exixting sims?). Changing this is not a big deal, but it looks like it messes with the layering - for the eyes in particular, but I think the same will happen with makeup - so I'm stuck.

I'm aware that Pets changed things with the materials and the layering, and I can't think of a workaround; and yes, I'd be interested to know it somebody who has Pets and Seasons happens to have one of these skintones working properly in game, in which case the issue could be with my video card.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 May 26, 06:54:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll pop one in tonight, I want to play my cyberhood, will let you know.

marvine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 May 26, 12:35:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks a bunch Smiley
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 May 28, 08:37:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry mate, I remembered I said I'd try them, well now I can't find them. So sorry, no idea how they go ingame. I tried searching MTS2 - I seem to remember it was Binky something, but I'm not even sure where I got mine, it was way back in the dim days of the beginning of sims 2.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 May 28, 10:04:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found the creator of those robotic and transparent skins. Here's a link to his profile on MTS2:

http://modthesims2.com/member/Bink13y

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 May 28, 11:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. I actually did do several searches, in main, in sims, in sci-fi - gawd their search sucks. I did search on Binky but not realising the number came in the middle of it. Sheesh.

Anyway, you must be an awesome searcher.  Grin

It'll have to be tomorrow night now.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 May 28, 11:11:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. I actually did do several searches, in main, in sims, in sci-fi - gawd their search sucks. I did search on Binky but not realising the number came in the middle of it. Sheesh.
See, now you recognize the wisdom in banning number-names, yes?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 May 28, 14:19:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway, you must be an awesome searcher.  Grin

Nah, not awesome (hence the screen-name), just a good memory. I used to have robotic vampires in my game, via a default replacement found at MTS2. I remembered that it used the robot skin from bink13y, and the thread included a link to the original robot-skin thread, so I did a search for 'vampire.' Cheesy Convoluted, yes, but it worked.

Edited to insert quote.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 May 28, 19:52:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See, now you recognize the wisdom in banning number-names, yes?

You must be psychic, I thought, 'I bet that's why JM bans names with numbers!'

marvine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 May 30, 21:12:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to let you know - the issue was confirmed by several other people.
I still didn't find a perfect workaround - okay, I'm not a real modder, but the chances there is one really don't look too good.
Well there are other things to play with... *sigh*

Thank you for replying and trying to help anyway Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: