More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 21, 06:02:15

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Default Eyes
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Default Eyes  (Read 4257 times)
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
Default Eyes
« on: 2007 March 24, 20:01:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've recently started looking into getting some default replacement eyes. I really like Echo66's (at MTS2) clear eyes set, but they're not default replacements. I've seen a couple of tutorials on how to do make default replacements, but I'm still a little leery of trying. So, a couple of questions.

1. How hard is it to go back to the Maxis originals if I either mess up or don't like the way the new ones look in the game?

2. Does anyone know of any similar eyes (to Echo66's clear eyes) that are already defaults and can just be dropped into the downloads folder?

maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
Re: Default Eyes
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 24, 20:05:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To encourage you, making defaults is not that hard.

Taking them out is a problem if you have sims wearing them.  What happens is you end up with sims with no eyes only it doesn't look like that because what you get instead is the brown eye which is painted on the skintone (there's no actual eye graphic overlying it though).  So, decide what defaults you want and stick with them. 

At least, as I understand it, that's how it works.

Inteen for AL, yay!
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 24, 20:44:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Erm... No, default replacements are perfectly safe to put in, take out, swap with different default replacements, etc. All the default replacement is doing is changing what the game shows to YOU. The game still thinks the sims have the Maxis eyes, it's just that YOU see something different. You can remove the default replacements any time you want to, and the sims will go back to having normal Maxis eyes.

Maxon is thinking of normal custom eyes. If you remove those, sims who are wearing them end up with the nasty Maxis brown eye.

As far as creating them, it is very easy.

Download the eyes that you want to make into default replacements. Open the eyes one by one in SimPE and export the textures (right click on the textures and choose Export). Put these textures (they will be .png files) on the Desktop or into some folder so you know where they are.

Download a set of default replacement eyes (makes sure it a complete set). Open these one by one in SimPE. In each file, right-click on the texture and choose Replace, or, if you have installed the DDS Utilities (which you should do, since they make your textures better) click Build DXT. Find one of the textures that you exported earlier, and import it. Save the file, and that's it.
« Last Edit: 2007 March 24, 20:51:28 by SaraMK » Logged

Fail.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 24, 22:56:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are different ways of making default replacements.  Texture replacements are the easiest to take in and out of the game, with absolutely no ill effects, but they are also the largest type of replacements.  Some creators make a sort of re-directiing genetic thingy, that links the defaults to a custom skin, and that can leave traces if you just delete the replacement enabler, and not the skintone itself, but not in such a way that you should be afraid of deleting it.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 25, 11:05:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Erm... No, default replacements are perfectly safe to put in, take out, swap with different default replacements, etc. All the default replacement is doing is changing what the game shows to YOU. The game still thinks the sims have the Maxis eyes, it's just that YOU see something different. You can remove the default replacements any time you want to, and the sims will go back to having normal Maxis eyes.

Maxon is thinking of normal custom eyes. If you remove those, sims who are wearing them end up with the nasty Maxis brown eye.

Oh OK - I mis-rememberd it then.  My bad.  It's so long since I messed with eye genetics I've obviously forgotten the details.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 April 08, 01:45:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I've tried poking at this myself, but I am apparently completely non awesome. Does anyone have a link to a 'Default Eyes for Dummy' style tutorial? I've got a few eyes I want to try as default replacements, but I can't seem to figure out how to make it happen. I've got a set of defaults in now that I like better than the originals, but they're not quite what I'd like.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 April 08, 02:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got a set of defaults in now that I like better than the originals, but they're not quite what I'd like.

Ditto. Do share if you figure it out.  Smiley

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 April 08, 02:40:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tutorial: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=8005.0

Fail.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 April 08, 05:15:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Sara, but as I've just managed to create clean templates as per your tute, I'm all tuted out today.  Grin

I still ended up with the Kat and Kim houses in the bin, but hey, I just deleted them.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 April 08, 07:27:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You rock, Sara. I think even a dumbass like myself should be able to follow that. Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: