More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 26, 10:38:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Setting Downloads to "read only"
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Setting Downloads to "read only"  (Read 2758 times)
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
Setting Downloads to "read only"
« on: 2007 March 11, 14:17:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In Sims 1, setting all downloads to read only status seemed to help somewhat with loading times. Is this the case with Sims 2, does it make absolutely no difference whatsoever, or can this backfire and cause issues?

Also, I understand that setting objects.package to read only is helpful to avoid game borkinations like Mrs Crumplebottom being bitten (unless you have mods that address this vamp behavior, of course). Is this true, and if yes, I assume this package is in the Game folder and not the User Documents folder, right?

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Setting Downloads to "read only"
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 11, 14:19:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Marking your downloads as read only has no advantages.

Objects.package is in the game folder (not the my docs). It is best to just mark everything in the game folder as +r, just remember to unset it if there ever is a patch.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 11, 14:33:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you!

I have noticed only one difference with read-only Downloads: when moving or deleting them, the system gives me a "do you really wanna?" message. So, okay, I'll set them back.

I chose to read-only my object.packages for each EP and SP. Thank you!

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 11, 19:12:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This may be just me, but way back, I experienced random download deletions when downloads were set to read/write. This was way back when I only had the base game, and it was the Mac version, so it's probably an old and irrelevant weird bug. But I still set everything to read only. The memory of the disappearing phonehack haunts me.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: