More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 23, 02:26:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Fake walls to the edge of the lot?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Fake walls to the edge of the lot?  (Read 3442 times)
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
Fake walls to the edge of the lot?
« on: 2006 August 19, 23:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All right. It's a given that we CAN'T, by game engine, build walls to the edge of the lot. It is also a given, by default game engine, that we CAN run a fence along there. My question is, how hard would it be to create/script a fence that looks and acts like a standard wall for all usual purposes? They both use much the same partition files, don't they?

I am aware of, and am not addressing, the roof or foundation issue. Moveobjects already would allow a flooring tile roof now, so I don't think that's too great a concern, and the standard overhang from the foundation is two tiles, so it would still look consistent, wouldn't it? The only thing I can see as a real problem would be scripting so that it would permit windows to be placed and would take wallpapers. IIRC, there's a line to alter that on fences (although I've never messed with it, so I have no idea what its limitations are).

What am I missing? Has this already been tried and rejected as impossible?

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
   Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
Re: Fake walls to the edge of the lot?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 20, 23:53:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would venture to guess that the way walls are specially rendered precludes them from being on the edge as that would doubtless produce a bounds exception, which would likely crash the program.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 21, 03:48:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

here is what you can do (and yes you can put windows at the edge with move objects on)

DL Numenors wall windows, there are recolors that look like walls and other things, put those along the edge.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 21, 16:42:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I experimented with the lot expander utility and overlapped two lots by one neighbourhood square.  Of course that is 10 lot squares.  But it did mean you could build houses that appeared to join up or share a wall, like condos or row houses or something.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Rascal
Corpulent Cretin

Most Awesome Cat - RIP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 21, 23:33:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wondered about doing this Inge and was waiting for the latest version of the lot expander to be approved before I tried it (which it still isn't).  Did you experience any weird problems with carpools or buses?  I also wondered about building to the boundries of the middle 20 squares in a 4*2 lot then shrinking it to a 2*2.  Hopefully this would give you walls along the boundry edge but still allow you to place the lot next to another normally.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 August 22, 07:03:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think the program allows shrinking actually.   I haven't tried with a family living on one of the lots and going about their business.  I could try it.   I wanted a version where it would stretch the lot forward *without* moving the road, too.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 August 22, 07:15:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it didn't allow shrinking, then it wouldn't have been possible to produce a 1x1 lot. Obviously, 1x1 lots don't work as residential properties due to insufficient road parkage, but they'd work fine as community lots....for now, as nothing drives on the street anyway.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 August 22, 11:56:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll ask her if she can make that available.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 August 22, 15:48:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The bit about fences as walls things:

They don't really work just like walls, as fences don't block natural light. So that would cause a problem. As well as the whole, no real doors thing.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: