More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 04, 19:02:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  SIMpe Issues
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: SIMpe Issues  (Read 3319 times)
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
SIMpe Issues
« on: 2006 July 25, 22:34:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, this should probably be posted at the SIMpe forum, but since I don't go there I thought I would ask here first before making a whole new account to ask a question. Ahem.

When exiting SIMpe, has anyone else noticed that you have to manually kill the process or it closes out the program but the process stays alive and sucks up all your memory? Or is it just me and I have a broken version of SIMpe?

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: SIMpe Issues
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 25, 22:36:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, that's fairly common for all .Net 1 programs. I used to get it all the time.

The new SimPE will run on .Net 2 and this issue has been mostly stomped.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 25, 22:39:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not only that, but it keeps any files you've modified locked until you reboot the system.  I use MSs SyncToy to keep my downloads folder synced between my desktop and laptop, and it can't copy over files that I've recently modified in SimPE until I reboot the desktop.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 25, 23:09:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When exiting SIMpe, has anyone else noticed that you have to manually kill the process or it closes out the program but the process stays alive and sucks up all your memory? Or is it just me and I have a broken version of SIMpe?

FWIW, I haven't experienced this myself. I do have .NET 2 installed.

Not only that, but it keeps any files you've modified locked until you reboot the system.  I use MSs SyncToy to keep my downloads folder synced between my desktop and laptop, and it can't copy over files that I've recently modified in SimPE until I reboot the desktop.

I don't seem to have this problem. Just this afternoon I modified three files in a location outside the Downloads folder and then moved them to their apppropriate subfolder with no problems. OTOH, Windows occasionally won't release a file or folder even though no app is using it (apparently), requiring a reboot. I suspect the apparent relationship between SimPE and Windows not releasing files is a case of false causation:  cum hoc ergo propter hoc ("with this, therefore because of this").   Grin

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 25, 23:21:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had that issue with one of my Baldur's Gate protraits. It wouldn't let me delete the folder until after I rebooted the pc. Which was weird, because all of the other folders I deleted gave me no problem....

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 26, 00:47:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just started having this problem and it is sucky. However, I also have .net 2 installed, so I will grab that version of SIMpe and see if it solves my issues.

Thanks Jordi.

Also guys, for me, it usually unlocks the files after I manually terminate the process. I usually don't have to reboot.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 26, 08:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A way to get around locked files is to kill the explorer.exe process, remove or rename the file or folder using a commandline ("DOS prompt"), and restart the explorer.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 July 26, 11:46:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't seem to have this problem. Just this afternoon I modified three files in a location outside the Downloads folder and then moved them to their apppropriate subfolder with no problems. OTOH, Windows occasionally won't release a file or folder even though no app is using it (apparently), requiring a reboot. I suspect the apparent relationship between SimPE and Windows not releasing files is a case of false causation:  cum hoc ergo propter hoc ("with this, therefore because of this").   Grin

It's not a problem moving the files around on the same machine -- it only crops up when I try to copy them from one machine to another.  I get all kinds of 'can't access' messages, usually the one saying the file is in use by another process.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 July 26, 18:03:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A way to get around locked files is to kill the explorer.exe process, remove or rename the file or folder using a commandline ("DOS prompt"), and restart the explorer.

Most times you can kill explorer, restart explorer, and the files/folders are unlocked. I'm clueless about DOS so this is how I do it, and it works most of the time. Smiley For me, SimPE is horrible about locking up empty folders for some reason.

Fail.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: