More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 02, 22:46:16

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Blank Job Icons!! Thesims2 site is down!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Blank Job Icons!! Thesims2 site is down!  (Read 5640 times)
KiwiPriss
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Blank Job Icons!! Thesims2 site is down!
« on: 2006 January 13, 20:56:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey sorry about this but thesims2 site is down and i didnt know where else to post, All my job icons have gone blank including wants and school icons, ive had this before and fixed it but i cant remember how. Any help would be aprecciated. Thanks
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
Re: Blank Job Icons!! Thesims2 site is down!
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 13, 21:17:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sounds like you need to replace your objects.package file in C:\My Programs\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 (appropriate EP)\TSData\Res\Objects with the clean one from the game CD.  If you have University, it's on CD1, I think it's on CD 2 for Nightlife.

I usually keep a clean copy in another folder on my hard drive and copy it over the old one so I don't have to hunt it up on the CD!

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
Marquis
Twain
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 13, 21:22:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Once you do that you should also make your objects.package file READ ONLY.

Good breeding consists of concealing how much we think of ourselves and how little we think of the other person. - Mark Twain
www.thesporum.net
KiwiPriss
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 13, 21:46:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, would someobdy beable to walk me through it i have a habit of screwing up.....I get how to copy it and all but the read only thing i dont get
« Last Edit: 2006 January 13, 21:59:16 by KiwiPriss » Logged
MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 13, 22:06:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A problem with this is that once you copy over the objects.package (in NL at least), you erase the patching on said objects.package and you cannot reapply the patch. I've no idea how to get around that, short of a reinstall.  I was a guinea pig for this experiment shortly after the patch came out and wound up reinstalling in order to fix a corrupted objects.package.  Undecided
KiwiPriss
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 13, 22:07:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dont think i have any of the patches, so i should be good right?
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 13, 23:03:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think so.  Brynne had this problem awhile back and had to reinstall.  That's what TwoJeffs said to do, because the patch won't install again even if you replace the original objects package from the CD, it still thinks the patch is already in place.  But I think you may be able to just uninstall NL and not the whole Sims 2 game.  I haven't tried it but I know others said this worked with just reinsalling Uni.  If you do have to reinstall the whole game, just copy your Sims 2 folder in My Documents to another location on your hard drive, such as the desktop, before uninstalling.  Then after you've finished with reinstalling, delete the Sims 2 folder that the installation created, and replace it with the original one you backed up.  This should keep all your downloads, neighborhoods, saved sims, etc. in place.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 13, 23:06:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose the answer to the objects.package is to make a copy as soon as the patch is installed, then make it read only as well as the original.

to make something read only, you right click the file, select properties,  where it says Attributes, you simply check the Read only box, Apply and exit.

Zephyr Zodiac
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 14, 00:30:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As to how to make a read-only file.  Go in the folder in which you copied the objects.package (should be in tsdata folder) and right-clic on that objects.package file, select properties, a window will appear.  At the bottom of that window you will see the option to make the file read-only by checking the box, once you check it clic on apply and then ok.

If you have Uni or NL I suggest you install the patch.  After you install the patch you will need to make the objects.package file a read-only one again.
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 14, 00:35:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

uhm  the easiest fix...is to use the nl patch provided at the sims2 site  or the university if you dont have NL

MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 14, 00:40:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Kewian I am not sure if we can install the patch if the objects.package file has been modified.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 14, 00:44:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The patch appears to copy the objects.package file from your CD2, which is why it requires that disk to be in the drive, and then it patches it.  This is why you can't simply copy the objects package from the CD after the patch has been installed, because it will no longer be patched.  So the only thing left to do is reinstall NL and the NL patch.  I would suggest not only making the objects file read-only after the patch, but backing it up to another location on your hard drive or to a CD if you want to be really sure. Wink
simposiast
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 14, 02:03:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it possible to use someone else's objects.package file rather than reinstall?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 14, 02:32:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Presumably if the someone else has done all the right things that you don't want to do, then I'd say yes.

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 January 14, 02:59:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a large file though, but maybe it could be put on Megaupload.com.  The NL one is about 40 MB.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: