More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 27, 21:22:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  A non-Sims Question. Can anyone explain this....
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: A non-Sims Question. Can anyone explain this....  (Read 2500 times)
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
A non-Sims Question. Can anyone explain this....
« on: 2005 November 27, 01:57:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I went to play my game (maybe it is a sims-related question?), my PC died, black. I tried to restart, blue screened me with a 'unmountable boot volume' error. I went to Recovery Console and checkdisked it, it found some errors and then I rebooted. Here's the question: before this happened, I had 17 gb of space. After it happened, I have 47 GB of space.WTF? I have looked for missing files, everything looks fine and works fine--so far. How'd that happen??
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
Re: A non-Sims Question. Can anyone explain this....
« Reply #1 on: 2005 November 27, 04:24:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does your recovery program or check disk defrag as well? That'd give you disk space alla sudden.

Unsouper
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 27, 04:48:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never had Disk defrag give me extra space it just moves files around...It must have been tghe recovery program that did it

ISFJ
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 27, 04:55:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the drive can often get errors that make the amount of free space reported be wrong - that's usually fixed by scan disk...  I've had it a few times, but never such a big difference!
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 27, 05:10:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No recovery program and no it didn't defrag--but I did defrag after I found the GBs. merry Xmas?

The only possible explanation, and I have no idea if it is even possible, I can come up with so far is: about a month ago I was hit be a hacker/spyware (same difference to me) my usually inaccessible 'System Volume Information' folder, usually hidden and locked, became unlocked. I went in and cleaned out a bunch of old crap (Kids: don't try this at home! Smiley you gotta have big balls or know what you're doing to do this or be really stupid Smiley I have no idea which one I am) At that time my free space didn't change much in size and I wondered why not cuz I thought it would--maybe something in the check disk today fixed the free space reading??

40 gigs is a lot to 'recover'......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: