More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 26, 08:44:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Variant of blank icon bug
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Variant of blank icon bug  (Read 3869 times)
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
Variant of blank icon bug
« on: 2005 July 26, 10:29:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I appear to be experiencing a variant of the blank icon bug.

I have a newly graduated Uni couple that I just moved to a lot (Maxis-made house).  6 of the male's 4 wants were blank.  The two that were not blank were to get particular jobs (military or law enforcement).  When either of the couple tried to get a job, either on the computer or by newspaper, there was only one job available -- law enforcement -- and then it said there were no more jobs available.

I replaced the objects.package file in c:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 University\TSData\Res\Objects with the one from the same subdirectory in the compressed.zip folder on my Uni disk, and I marked it read-only.  When I returned to the game, the male had all 6 wants again, but there was still only one job available.  If he took the job, his two job-related wants went blank.  When he or his wife tried to get a job after that, there was still only one job available (still law enforcement). 

These two never owned the remote control car at Uni and do not have it in their new home.  The female was born into the game, the product of a CAS-made Sim and a townie; she never had the remote control car in her family home.  The male was a teen townie who was sent to Uni.  I have all your critical fixes and have also tried the lot debugger.

Thoughts?

Thanks much,

Phyllis

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
Re: Variant of blank icon bug
« Reply #1 on: 2005 July 26, 16:45:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I ended up moving them out and then moving them back in.  The job selection on the computer and the newspaper is now functioning correctly, though the male still occasionally gets blank icons.  After he sleeps they correct themselves.

I'd still be happy for input on this issue, even if it's only to rip my lips off for continuing to post.

Thanks,

Phyllis

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
HRH Posie
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 July 27, 09:59:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi phyllisp

Last October I downloaded a family from the official site as the family were expecting twins.  I have no idea why but when the family were imported; all the sims had partial missing wants.  Even satisfying one want did not unlock any of the other slots.  Thankfully they could get jobs from the newspaper, I never tried using the computer as the sims were lacking in skills.  In this instance I moved the family to a new lot and everything functioned correctly once more.  As moving house seems a little drastic, I didn't want to mention this when you first posted.

Glad everything is working out for you and I too would like to know if anybody else has experienced your problems.  Could it be that you moved them back to the same lot rather than to a new lot?

Posie

"Does nothing work outside of London? Hmm? Apparently not." Natasha Glenville, Bridget Jones
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 July 27, 10:27:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, Posie, thanks for responding :-)

I did some various experiments with the family, backing up first.  I tried was moving them out and then moving them to a different lot first.  When I found that they then had the option to choose from a variety of jobs again, I restored the back-up and tried moving them out and then back into the same lot.  In that case they also had their options for jobs restored.  I ended up restoring again, moving them out, bulldozing that lot and moving them in to a new house because after all that I was leary of that lot.  I've played the family for 10 Sim days now and they seem to be doing okay.  They have two noo-boos now -- he got abducted within 12 hours of her getting pregnant.

Thanks again,

Phyllis

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

HRH Posie
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 July 27, 12:03:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're welcome Smiley  Hmm don't you just love it when sims get abducted while their partners are pregnant?  I'm fascinated by twins and I'll often reload after try for a baby if my sims do not conceive twins.  I've now had two abduction cases that have resulted in four babies due to the male giving birth to twins.  The only advantage is that you can teach all the toddlers in one go rather than having 4 separate toddler phases.  I don't envy you with all that restoring you've had to do!

"Does nothing work outside of London? Hmm? Apparently not." Natasha Glenville, Bridget Jones
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: