More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 07, 15:39:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Where's a sledgehammer when you want one, my game is borked somewhere.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Where's a sledgehammer when you want one, my game is borked somewhere.  (Read 3155 times)
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Where's a sledgehammer when you want one, my game is borked somewhere.
« on: 2008 May 31, 05:42:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I completely uninstalled/reinstalled my game this evening.  HolidayEditionbase, Univ, NL, OFB, FFS and Seasons.   Once all was installed/patched (tho HolidayEditionbase/univ would not patch, the rest did), i went in to Pleasantview and played the Brokes to check if everything was okay.  Completely empty Downloads folder (no CC/hacks).  Grew Beau up that first evening to a child.  The next morning at 6AM, after everyone woke up, i saved/exited the game.  Returned to the lot and Beau is now borked.  His icon shows him as a toddler, but he's stretched out to child sized. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23509924@N03/2537323515/

In the N001 Neighborhood folder, there are now 3 TempDBSegmentPackedFiles, 1580kb, 531kb and 1581kb file sizes.  The game has not crashed between the reinstall and the borking of Beau.
   I was getting disappearing babies/borked toddler/child/teen growing up before and that's why i uninstalled/fresh install of my game.  I had hoped it was a bad game file somewhere.  But obviously, it's due to my computer.  WindowsXP, 1GB Ram, 127GB of 224GB disk space free.  I did a defrag before installing and clean/fix disk (nothing showed up wrong). 
   Any ideas of where i need to start to pin down where on my computer i have the problem, how to find it, how to fix it?  The way it's going now, it's a crap-shoot on raising children/playing the Sims2.

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
Re: Where's a sledgehammer when you want one, my game is borked somewhere.
« Reply #1 on: 2008 May 31, 13:43:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How much RAM is your game taking up right now while running? I would suspect that 1 gb is a little low-- my game regularly tops 700,000 KB, and my system takes up ab out 350 KB, so I could see that causing problems.

I had all sorts of borkedness when I was using virtual memory to play the game, albeit not this particular type. I DID, however, have problems getting my lots to save, and this might be the result of your RAM being dumped into the save, but not your virtual memory... or something.  Undecided

That's my best guess-- maybe someone else will know something.
Simmerqueen
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 03, 16:12:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i went in to Pleasantview and played the Brokes to check if everything was okay.  Completely empty Downloads folder (no CC/hacks).  Grew Beau up that first evening to a child.  The next morning at 6AM, after everyone woke up, i saved/exited the game.  Returned to the lot and Beau is now borked.  His icon shows him as a toddler, but he's stretched out to child sized. 
   Any ideas of where i need to start to pin down where on my computer i have the problem, how to find it, how to fix it?  The way it's going now, it's a crap-shoot on raising children/playing the Sims2.
I had this exact problem but it was due to the Numenor/Marylou clothing rack that wasn't playing nice with my game for some reason.  I even had weird stetched-out babies walking around and toddlers doing homework, as well as Sims of all ages spontaneously changing hairstyles/clothing (reverting to previous selections, not just random new changes)!  I know you said no CC, but check to see if somehow some CC has landed in your regular game folder, because that is what happened to me and when I eliminated my Downloads folder I still had the problem so concluded it wasn't due to CC!  I was just about to trash a 4-generation hood when I noticed that the clothing rack was still in my game, just not in the Downloads folder.  The day I removed this clothing rack all my problems stopped and have not recurred for at least a month now.
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 04, 01:07:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this exact problem but it was due to the Numenor/Marylou clothing rack that wasn't playing nice with my game for some reason.  I even had weird stetched-out babies walking around and toddlers doing homework, as well as Sims of all ages spontaneously changing hairstyles/clothing (reverting to previous selections, not just random new changes)!  I know you said no CC, but check to see if somehow some CC has landed in your regular game folder, because that is what happened to me and when I eliminated my Downloads folder I still had the problem so concluded it wasn't due to CC!  I was just about to trash a 4-generation hood when I noticed that the clothing rack was still in my game, just not in the Downloads folder.  The day I removed this clothing rack all my problems stopped and have not recurred for at least a month now.

Nope, this was on a complete uninstall/reinstall new empty game (unless somehow my game is seeing parts of my backup copies that are sitting on the Desktop?).  I also don't have that clothing rack.  I did find out i had Pescado's obsolete snsp0nrgizerfix (and a couple of his outdated noautonomous hacks).  So it's back to the test hood and see if removing those made any difference.
   I've come to the conclusion that it's my computer's fault, and have found that running the game in Windows mode causes less drain on the system resoures.  (Also, after more reading, i've cut down the max size of the Virtual Memory, i had it set at 1533/4000, now it's set at 1533/1533).
   So far, in my test hood, my volunteer family just had their 7th baby with no missing infants (tho the most recent double transitions - a new teen/new toddler - were back in their previous ages bodies when i returned to the lot).  A weird occurance happens (tho it doesn't happen to all of the borked transitions now nor in the past), for this borked toddler, all of the baby bottles and smart milk bottles she had in her inventory, were borked, tho the borked teen's inventoried smart milk bottles were okay.  (When i say borked, when the bottles are pulled out, they are sitting upright instead of on their side, not grabable and if a toddler drinks from the borked smart milk, they throw up - like it was made by a sim in low asperation, tho they were platinum milk before borking).
   I've done several searches on borked baby bottles/smart milk bottles in inventories and i've found nothing about it.  My GoogleFu is normally top notch, but it's phailed me this time.
   After these latest borked transitions, my main NH folder now contains 8 TempDBSegmentPackedFiles, all under 33 KB in size, and my 04 Test NH has 5 TempDBSegmentPackedFiles, all over 1351 KB in size. 

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
Simmerqueen
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 04, 18:27:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So far, in my test hood, my volunteer family just had their 7th baby with no missing infants (tho the most recent double transitions - a new teen/new toddler - were back in their previous ages bodies when i returned to the lot).  A weird occurance happens (tho it doesn't happen to all of the borked transitions now nor in the past), for this borked toddler, all of the baby bottles and smart milk bottles she had in her inventory, were borked, tho the borked teen's inventoried smart milk bottles were okay.     
Sorry you are having so much trouble, I know how frustrating it is.  If your teen/toddler are back in their previous age bodies then still nothing is working obviously...what a bummer.  I personally didn't even know that you could put smart milk already made up into inventories as I usually just put the machines in, but now I will try it and see if it works for mine or if it screws up.  Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: