More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 01, 01:35:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Running Sims 2 on my pc
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Running Sims 2 on my pc  (Read 6593 times)
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Running Sims 2 on my pc
« on: 2008 June 10, 02:58:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since Bon Voyage, each time I run the Sims2 game, my pc accelerates and gets warmer air out the exhaust fan.

The cpu usage is fine, my startup items are only those necessary. I do find I need to clean my cooling fan, sits on aluminum type heat sink, about every two weeks. I have added 1gb memory to total 1.5, an ATI Radeon X1300 graphics card, 17" LCD monitor. I have tons of cc in the game. I have an eMachines T6410, and not noticed problems until BV and the add ons.

Could the pc additions, plus playing the Sims be too much for the cooling fan to handle and a better one improve functions?

Does anyone else experience warmer exhaust air and cooling fan acceleration when playing Sims? The tech under my extended warranty, which ends in 2 months, says this is all normal. I don't want to find out 3 months from now that he is wrong.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
Re: Running Sims 2 on my pc
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 10, 06:22:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It won't take 3 months. I give it 2 mos. and a day.  Wink
I haven't noticed the air's temp, but my fan does spin up a lot when I play.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 10, 12:53:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It won't take 3 months. I give it 2 mos. and a day.  Wink
I haven't noticed the air's temp, but my fan does spin up a lot when I play.

Isn't that the way! As soon as the warranty expires, the breakdowns happen. Must be some universal law at hand. Thank you for letting me know that your fan also speeds up while playing. That is helpful for me to know.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 10, 15:54:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Sims2 is a very heavy processor user, in addition to needing memory.  As such, it will require your processor to work harder.  As Flanders and Swann have taught us: "Heat is work and work is heat."  Therefore your cooling fans will kick in and run to expell warmer air inside the box.  Make sure your computer case is well vented and in an area where air circulation is good so that cooler air will be pulled into the box as the warm air is expelled.  If you are concerned that it is getting too hot, get additional cooling fans or accessories installed.

Short answer:  higher and warmer work rate is normal when playing TS2.

Tribulatio proxima est
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 10, 16:19:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My comp is always cool to the touch, even with its normal load of a Firefox instance, Photoshop, and Sims2. But then I have some crazy power supply (750 watts I think) with supercooling.

Another thing to remember is to keep the fans clean. I have two cats and wood floors, so wherever the hair and normal dust can find to cling, it will. Apparently, the crevices of my tower are really tempting. I vacuum it twice a week, and every couple-three months crack the case open and take the main fan apart and give it a good wipe-down.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 June 11, 02:21:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Sims2 is a very heavy processor user, in addition to needing memory.  As such, it will require your processor to work harder.  As Flanders and Swann have taught us: "Heat is work and work is heat."  Therefore your cooling fans will kick in and run to expell warmer air inside the box.  Make sure your computer case is well vented and in an area where air circulation is good so that cooler air will be pulled into the box as the warm air is expelled.  If you are concerned that it is getting too hot, get additional cooling fans or accessories installed.

Short answer:  higher and warmer work rate is normal when playing TS2.

I understand well what you are saying. I've been thinking that maybe another cooling fan with a copper heat sink might be an answer. I've read that openning the pc case and running a floor fan to cool is an option too. "Heat is work and work is heat", very good I remember that from some class I took. Thank you, for your response, very helpful to me. Appreciate your input.

My comp is always cool to the touch, even with its normal load of a Firefox instance, Photoshop, and Sims2. But then I have some crazy power supply (750 watts I think) with supercooling.

Another thing to remember is to keep the fans clean. I have two cats and wood floors, so wherever the hair and normal dust can find to cling, it will. Apparently, the crevices of my tower are really tempting. I vacuum it twice a week, and every couple-three months crack the case open and take the main fan apart and give it a good wipe-down.

The pc is cool to touch and runs quietly while on internet or using software other than Sims. Playing Sijms changes it. Due to Jolrei statement about being a heavy processor user, I can now understand why the change.

I have a long haired cat who insists upon sitting right by the pc while I use it and new carpeting, this cat hair and carpet fibers get sucked into the case big time. I have to open it up every 2 weeks to clean the fans. The cooling fan gets the worse of it all.  The long cat hair gets wrapped around the base of the blades and forms these mats of hair and dust behind the blades. I can appreciate what 2 cats can cause. My cat is 21 yrs old, I tend to let him sit by me anytime he wants. Maybe I need to relocate the tower.

I've read where a power supply can make a difference. Something I will need to learn more about, to see if it is an option for me.

Thank you Zazazu, I appreciate your response very much. Good to get other's input. Thank you!
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 June 11, 02:25:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Playing Sims freaks out my laptop from hotness on occasion, so I don't think it is unusual at all.

unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 June 11, 02:55:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Playing Sims freaks out my laptop from hotness on occasion, so I don't think it is unusual at all.

Thank you, Rohina! I am beginning to realise that I am not the only one to experience such changes. I only know 1 person personally who plays Sims.  Given that, I did not know if my experience was unusual or not. Whether a source of concern or not. I did not want to ignore what might be a sign of trouble ahead. Yet I did not want to make a big deal over something that is also experienced by other players.

The input I have gotten is extremely helpful. I appreciate hearing from you, thank you.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 June 11, 03:02:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The input I have gotten is extremely helpful. I appreciate hearing from you, thank you.

Well, FFS, don't be grateful out loud. I have a reputation to maintain, you know.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 June 11, 04:11:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, FFS, don't be grateful out loud. I have a reputation to maintain, you know.

Hah!  I saw that.  Cool

Tribulatio proxima est
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 June 11, 05:10:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course, how could I have not remembered! What would MATY be without you and your unique blend of communication.

Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

ISFP - now more Introverted than Pescado!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 June 11, 08:56:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course, how could I have not remembered! What would MATY be without you and your unique blend of communication.

Rohina: Poking 12s and Grammar Nitpicking Since 2005.

Fuck you, Old Man. Fuck you.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: