More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 30, 08:13:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What resets the game?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What resets the game?  (Read 4585 times)
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
What resets the game?
« on: 2008 May 15, 16:22:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every now and then, when I update hacks, put in new ones, or take out old ones (and I always use hack conflict scanner, examine the results, and compress), the game gets reset the next time I start it. It does not happen all the time, just sometime. It's been good for quite some time but lately, it gets reset all the time. Somehow in the past, I found (or just thought) that, if I did not move out the hack folders (as opposed to objects, since I always take out the objects to do the conflict scanning) out of the download folder and back in, as I do updating, scanning, and compressing, it would be fine. I used to think it was the synctimer, but maybe more. So I just tried to keep most in. So to be clear, I did not install new EP, or patch, or add/delete/change any files in the Program Files section, or play a copy of backed up game. Nothing other than simply adding/deleting a few mods.

Like just now, I updated a few hacks from twojeffs and Pescado's most recent updates, most of which I already use. It got reset again.  At this stage, I think my game (all the way up to FT, no stuffs, no FT patch) is pretty mature and stable, even though I have a lot of mods, but I make sure they all work and play relatively nice together. So what are the usual reasons for resetting? If you can help with some experience, I'll see if I did those or not. Right now, I have no clue. Is compressing at fault?  Roll Eyes I wouldn't think so.

By reset, I mean all the sims are snapped out of where they were (sleeping, eating, talking, crafting, etc.) last I left the lot (residential), with all motives 100% green. Just so I'm not misusing the term.

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
Cappuccino
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Re: What resets the game?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 May 15, 16:27:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember at least 1 of twojeffs' hacks stating that it does that when you first "install" it.

Dive in!
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 May 15, 16:32:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe ACR? Because I updated that one. But it was already installed, and I just overwrote with the new version. That doesn't count as new install, does it?

Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 May 15, 16:46:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TJ's FreeTime Aspiration Critical Fix, noinstantlove reset the game.

jennydeenyc
Exasperating Eyesore

what're YOU lookin' at?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 May 15, 20:58:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, so that was what happened! I installed noinstantloves a few days back & got a reset, but also put in a bunch of other stuff at the same time so didn't think much about which item actually caused the reset, since it was only a minor annoyance. I finally got around to pulling the kitten killer from my game, which is why I put in noinstantloves. Good thing I did too, since immediately afterward, teenage Charlotte Somerset started getting hot and heavy with the maid Steven Dallas, calling him over for daily booty calls, even before their relationship was even high enough for the game to consider them friends! In Uni, she bed-hopped between 3 dormies before I decided who I wanted to hook her up with for good. Of course, I never got this kind of promiscuity when I did have InTeen installed, so maybe Charlotte wouldn't have been such a tart, but if she had, you could just bet she would have had multiple kids before graduating college. Which would have been an interesting wrinkle, mind you. Too bad InTeen has to kill kittens to achieve what it does.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 May 15, 22:43:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Moving Inteen in and out will cause a reset - Jennydee I think it's more likely to be that in your case.  I have noinstant loves but that's in the Hacks folder which is removed all the time when I test new stuff.  I have a folder in my Downloads called 'Do Not Remove' where Inteen resides along with the no respawn hacks and some other things (Crammyboy's appendage for instance which doesn't cause resets but has to be set up again if you remove it - I don't like dark men with pale pink willys).  The respawn hacks don't cause a reset either but I want to ensure I never open my game without having them in Downloads.  Removing and putting back ACR doesn't seem to cause problems as long as you don't open neighbourhoods where it is in use.  At least, I've not had problems but when I test, I'm usually using a test neighbourhood with no sims and so do not play a lot.  I usually only get a reset with a new EP (when Inteen is removed too).

However, to avoid problems with resets, I ALWAYS finish playing a lot at 6am (I always save then every sim day anyway).  This means that the sims are reset first thing in the morning (and they are all at home with enough time to catch the carpool (mostly)).  I've found that way I avoid several problems - missing (at work) sims after a reset included.  If they're reset in the morning, it's more or less like they have woken up after a full nights sleep anyway.  I noticed with FT that not all sims had their motives reset.  Some were still orange and yellow from where I had been torturing working them hard just prior to installation.  I don't know what that was about.
« Last Edit: 2008 May 15, 22:50:42 by maxon » Logged

Inteen for AL, yay!
FourCats
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 May 16, 02:44:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

patches and new expansion packs and new stuff packs can do this.

May all your fears & worries come true.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 May 16, 08:23:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

patches and new expansion packs and new stuff packs can do this.

No, patches and new packs will do it.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 May 16, 11:30:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember moving out TJ folder to the desktop to do compressing because of the updated ACR, and putting back in before I started the game.

I don't have Inteen, but I have woohoo_teens. But what I did was just moved it from a testing subfolder to the keeping subfolder. That too resets?  Huh

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 May 16, 16:18:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Moving between subfolders should make no difference.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: