More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 23, 18:26:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  CD/DVD Drive won't play DVDs anymore.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: CD/DVD Drive won't play DVDs anymore.  (Read 3057 times)
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
CD/DVD Drive won't play DVDs anymore.
« on: 2007 December 09, 12:52:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really don't know what happened here.
I stuck a DVD into my drive this morning and nothing happened, it won't auto-load and I can't run the DVD manually either. I've tested a few DVDs and none of them work, CDs still load just fine.

I haven't added anything new to my computer since it last worked so I have no idea what could be causing the problem. It seems to have stopped working for absolutely no reason  Huh

In case it makes a difference, the drive is a Samsung HD160JJ/P.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: CD/DVD Drive won't play DVDs anymore.
« Reply #1 on: 2007 December 09, 13:01:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if you're sure it's not SecuROM related, your drive could be dead. Happened to me once, I was just finished burning an audio cd, and 5 minutes later I put in another blank cd and it didn't work at all. No spinning, no light-blinking, nothing. Just 5 clicks and then silence. Then it's confirmed dead...

Apparently there's a limit of how many times a drive could be used, for example 1000, then once you put in a cd for 1000th time, it'll just stop working  Undecided
Lyra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 09, 17:27:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1000 isn't very much when you think about it. But I can't see that being the case, really.

If it's just DVDs it won't read, then I'd bet it's your laser at fault. Have you cleaned it?
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 December 09, 20:15:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same/opposite problem.  My drive pays DVDs, but not CDs.
Combined drives uaually have two separate lasers, and one can break easily, resulting in weird stuff like that.  Optical drives don't last very long, if cleaning it doesn't work, just buy a new one.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 December 10, 04:55:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No chance of you using anything like Clone cd and have "Hide CDR" or Alcohol and "Ignore Media Type" checked do you?
Just checking.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: