More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 28, 21:55:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Just wondering: First Born Effect & Refreshing
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Just wondering: First Born Effect & Refreshing  (Read 12237 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Just wondering: First Born Effect & Refreshing
« Reply #25 on: 2007 July 01, 11:52:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm curious though about just how random gender is--totally random or is it weighted in some way? I've got a same sex male couple right now. I let ACR  have its way with them (or let them have their way with ACR) for awhile because it's a new mostly empty neighborhood and they had five kids in short order.  All five of them are boys, all single births.
No one knows. Maxis is very closed-mouthed about the issue, and it is difficult to perform any conclusive experiments on the issue. Furthermore, for reasons unknown, Maxis is also very hellbent on making sure that the gender-selection process CANNOT BE TAMPERED WITH IN ANY WAY. While it's possible to completely influence the gender of townies, through a simple control bit, this control bit is ignored for unknown reasons when run through the Baby Generator routine. We know it's POSSIBLE to specifically force the result, as CAS's baby generator allows one to specify beforehand, but for some reason, the in-game interface intentionally does not allow it. Clearly something suspicious must be going on.

I've had similar families before, with long runs of same sex children. It doesn't bother me at all, I've never exited without saving to get the other gender. It just makes me curious when they have a bunch and they all turn out same gender, because that can happen in real life. Some guys shoot more sperm for one gender than the other. My folks had seven girls and two boys (Catholic and before birth control so, Yeah, really.)
Heh, in real life, there's a whole host of factors which can influence things, such as that Y-chromosome bearing sperm have less mass than X-bearers, as the X chromosome is larger and heavier. It is thus possible to bias the results through centrifugal sorting, as well as a host of other potential factors. The process is otherwise entirely the male's fault, though, so kings replacing their wives because they couldn't get a son were not going to get any better results.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Re: Just wondering: First Born Effect & Refreshing
« Reply #26 on: 2007 July 01, 12:10:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Different types of assisted reproduction favour different genders, too.

Apparently male embryos tend to develop slightly faster than female ones, so they are more likely to be put back first.  Giving IVF pregnancies a greater chance of having a male baby.

However, if male infertility is involved, the scientists need to catch an individual sperm and inject it into the egg (ICSI), this swings the balance back in the other direction as the female sperm (that sounds wrong!) are easier to catch because they move slower.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: