More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 October 05, 18:31:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540282 Posts in 18067 Topics by 6543 Members
Latest Member: tyerules
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Base game + Uni & NL. Game crashes after 10 minutes of play.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Base game + Uni & NL. Game crashes after 10 minutes of play.  (Read 4261 times)
cenoura
Exasperating Eyesore

Talk to the hand!

View Profile
Base game + Uni & NL. Game crashes after 10 minutes of play.
« on: 2007 June 27, 11:15:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is kind of in reference to this post.

About a week ago the game started randomly crashing again, this time with no constant factor except amount of time spent in game. Given any family of sims in any neighbourhood with any play actions (although I haven't tried "no actions", but I suspect it will still happen), my PC will restart about 10 minutes into entering a household. Sometimes WinXP realises it has had a major crash and give me a report, and sometimes not. I could attach an error report from the OS if needed, but not sure what it'll actually show you?

System specs

40 Gb harddrive space on my WinXP partition
1 Gb RAM
nVidia GeForce 6200 graphics card (which has 256 Mb RAM associated with it)

The graphics card has worked fine before, I run it with the 77.77 driver as it was believed that the later drivers screw with the game. The only thing I can think of that changed in game was a couple of downloads of base game compatible houses.

My first reaction was to remove my Downloads folder. Nothing changed.
My second reaction was to remove my EA Games folder from My Documents completly and let the game regenerate its own. I had forgotten that I had renamed the template file for N001 to stop townie generation so Pleasantview didn't generate. But the crashing still occured with one of the other neighbourhoods in play.
So I figured I'd just restart everything, knowing that all the graphics options would be reset by my reinstall (still guessing that maybe my graphics card or settings or something are suddenly borked).
So uninstall, reinstall. I admit I haven't patched it yet. Restarting of my PC still occurs.

Any ideas what to do next? I swear my game has been playing fine for three months since I started using the older nVidia drivers. But suddenly it just started this crashing thing again. Argh!

Edited because I still dont understand BBS code.

ISTP
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Base game + Uni & NL. Game crashes after 10 minutes of play.
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 27, 11:22:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Might still be the infamous nvidia bug, it can apparently hit at any time.

Add to your userstartup.cheat:
boolprop useshaders false

You will lose the fish in the aquarium.
Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 27, 11:35:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used the 77.77 drivers for a very long time and never had any problems, they are quite stable if a bit outdated now.  If the problem is consistent with respect to time and not seemingly related to any particular activity, I suspect a heat issue, possibly with the CPU.

If there is one thing we learn from history it is that no one learns anything from history.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 27, 12:07:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It could also be a heat problem. It's summer now, rooms are warmer, and so are the computers.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 27, 17:57:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sounds like a heat issue to me too

My other computer is very touchy (it earned the name hairball) and if it gets a little too dusty inside the case, it gets flaky, so I'd suggest checking for dust too.
cenoura
Exasperating Eyesore

Talk to the hand!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 29, 13:58:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not a heat issue, although that was the issue with my last PC (the fans weren't working as they should've), the temperature seems stable. I've just had the game crash to desktop, which it hasn't done before. I'm going to try installing a different graphics card - it's older but it's ATI so should be fine, right?

ISTP
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: