More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 23, 19:07:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  what would cause a lot to crash when loading?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: what would cause a lot to crash when loading?  (Read 3094 times)
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
what would cause a lot to crash when loading?
« on: 2007 March 19, 09:46:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First of all, no, this isn't a lot I installed and therefore could potentially contain incompatable downloads.  It's a lot I've had in my game for a long time now, and one that has worked fine up until recently.

If I had my guess, the problem got started when I had to unintall pets back in janurary.  I planned on reinstalling immidiantly, but made a backup of my neighborhood anyways just because I got a warning about all of my game files being erased, something I thought was odd because I never got any warnings like that in the past. 

I had no idea it would take out everything Angry  including my download folder, which wasn't included in the warning.  A folder I've collected stuff in since the game came out in 2004, many files now irreplaceable as the sites I got them from closed down, all gone because they decided they need to delete everything themselves for this ep.  They could have let the user decide what to do, because you never know when  person might be planning on reinstalling before playing agian (like I was) but I guess they know better than we do Roll Eyes  Thank goodness it wasn't a financial loss, thanks to pmbd Grin

But anyways, before playing again, I went about trying to recollect everything I had lost. when I felt what I had gathered was sufficent, I unzipped and sorted, then ventured into the game.

naturally, every house had stuff missing, every family had one or two members with default hair, or default clothing. But all of my familes loaded without faliure, this is the only one that dumps me out to the desktop.  I've tried loading it several times now and each time, it crashes when the it says it loaded about halfway.  I can't think of the reason it would be crashing.  Missing content is the only thing that I can pull from this, but then why is it just this family that's crashing when all houses are missing content?  Infact, I remember the furniture used in this house and I was able to download most of it again, so there shouldn't be a problem there.  The family members don't crash the game when they visit other lots, so it seems unlikley it's connected to them either.

This is one of my favorite families, so I'm not about to let them go, and I'm also very reluctant to move them to a different house as I had put alot of work into their current one and grown quite fond of it.  But if this is the only thing I can do, then so be it, if it saves the family. 

Before I evict them, any thoughts on what could be causing the crash?  Maybe there's another way to solve the problem that doesn't involve moving.  Any help would be much appreciated Grin
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: what would cause a lot to crash when loading?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 19, 09:53:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried enabling testingcheats before loading the lot, to see if any error messages pop up?
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 19, 10:06:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you mean like, in the neighborhood screen?

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 19, 10:27:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, or in another lot, anytime during that game session.  Many of us have it in our startup cheats file and always run the game in debug mode.  That way, anytime there is an error, we know about it right away and an error log gets generated.  Sometimes I've gotten errors when loading a lot, and when I posted the log here, others were able to figure out what was happening.  If you need help doing that, refer to the FAQ in my siggy.
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 19, 10:42:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I didn't know it generated error messages during loading screens too, but I'll be sure to try that a little later on.
 Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: