More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 26, 12:24:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Flooded Basements
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Flooded Basements  (Read 5552 times)
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
Flooded Basements
« on: 2006 August 21, 14:13:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I downloaded a bunch of the houses in the Awesome Contest and placed them all in the same area of my neighborhood. When I went into the lots to take a look at them and modify them (because I can never leave a lot 'as is'), I discovered that the basements were all flooded.

Now, I'm thinking this has to do with where in my neighborhood I put them. The neighborhood is the same terrain as the one that comes with OFB. Blue something. I wanted some oceanfront property and was tired of the Isla terrain. Unfortunately, I think that the area I placed all these houses is too low to have a basement.

Is that true with terrain on the ocean? and is there a way to fix it other than moving the houses to 'higher ground'?

P.S. Some of these houses are indeed awesome. Good job, folks.

Marvelleaux
Puppy Fucker
Blathering Buffoon

"free-thinking cat shits outside the box"

View Profile
Re: Flooded Basements
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 21, 15:47:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this happen with a house that I built whose occupant had "a little accident".  I didn't move the lot after his death.  When I moved a new sim into the house the basement was flooded.  I didn't nothing to try and fix it (I thought it was kinda cool) and after some game play the problem corrected itself. 

Odi profanum vulgaris
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 21, 15:56:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never seen that effect. Can you post pictures of the flooded basement?
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 21, 15:57:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sure... but not until I get home from work tonight. Smiley

Elven Ranger
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 21, 19:19:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bluewater? If so its a bit of a bug in that N'Hood .... flooded basements Smiley
I kinda like it myself.

WARNING:<br />I have dyslexia, so please excuse my crappy spelling & punctuation Smiley
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 August 21, 20:33:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The same problem occurs with Veronaville, and any other terrain with surface-level water.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 August 21, 20:39:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking it might be the problem with the terrain. It is the Bluewater terrain, so there's some lower lying areas and some areas up on hills. The houses in the hills can have basements just fine.

simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 August 22, 14:40:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It happens when the terrain levels are too low. I had this problem with some of the neighborhoods I was making in SimCity. I was trying to get beach level land so I could have "ocean front" property. Every house I put in would have the underwater effect and sometimes flood the streets. Wouldn't be too bad for a "natural disaster" neighborhood.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 August 22, 16:44:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Totally bizaare thing.

I moved a sim into one of the affected houses because I was curious. Lo and behold, the flooding is gone. I checked three of the houses that had been flooded and now none of them are showing flooding in the basements.

Freaky.

starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 August 22, 23:34:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is why I create two basic types of custom terrains:  those that will properly handle basements and those that won't.  To handle a basement, I use the "up-terrain" button in SC4 several times so that it's high land.  Then you can dig all you want.  But sometimes, like Simmiecal said, you want a beach?  You'll have flooding.  But hey, it's rather realistic don'tcha think? 

Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 August 23, 14:42:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh yeah, it definitely makes sense. Smiley I was just a little surprised by it at first.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 August 24, 00:51:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, in real life, anyone who builds near an ocean is going to have to get used to the whole "being underwater" thing. Many people, of course, act all surprised when their stuff winds up underwater, even though they were dumb enough to build it near the ocean.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Marvelleaux
Puppy Fucker
Blathering Buffoon

"free-thinking cat shits outside the box"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 August 24, 00:54:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I moved a sim into one of the affected houses because I was curious. Lo and behold, the flooding is gone. I checked three of the houses that had been flooded and now none of them are showing flooding in the basements.

So did you change anything about house before you moved them in??  I'm curious because I don't remember doing anything and the water just "went away".  Maybe I did change something and just don't remember doing it...  That would be freaky.

Odi profanum vulgaris
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 August 24, 14:40:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, didn't do anything different to the house. On one day, I downloaded the house and put it into the neighborhood. Went in using the build mode to check it out and saw that the basement was flooded. The following day, I took a sim, put him on a cheap lot to give him some cash, then went into the more expensive lots from the contest. Moved him into a house and discovered there was no flooding in the basement. Checked three houses out by moving him around. No flooding.

MyPrecious
Blathering Buffoon

"And we don't want any of that nonsense, do we?"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 August 25, 00:41:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, in real life, anyone who builds near an ocean is going to have to get used to the whole "being underwater" thing. Many people, of course, act all surprised when their stuff winds up underwater, even though they were dumb enough to build it near the ocean.

Hummm yeah I did that…LOL and there was me thinking ah it's a game who gives a rats butt? But the neighbourhood did…

So I have to drain the flipping things cos I place my houses by the beach by painstaking choice (anal, I have to be able to have a sandy garden and see the water); so basements (not an English thing anyway, now cellars well that's something else)  have been all made one wall depth deep…drat… Undecided

A definition of loafing is; when you can't be bothered to open the curtains so you click the Glastonbury festival web cam to check the weather…

O môr henion i dhû:
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 August 25, 01:38:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually like the flooding thing because it is more realistic... it allows me to have the houses up on stilts above the water...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: