More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 26, 07:08:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  SuSe Annoyances and Linux in Sims 2
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: SuSe Annoyances and Linux in Sims 2  (Read 2853 times)
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
SuSe Annoyances and Linux in Sims 2
« on: 2006 July 18, 03:17:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently installed SuSe 10.1 on my laptop, and I'm quite impressed with it since it wasn't all stretched out like Kubuntu.  I don't stand how people can stand using that form of Linux.  Anyway, I've encountered a few annoyances with it I want to see if anyone knows the solutions to.

1)I'm an avid Opera user, but I just can't use it with SuSe.  Unlike in Kubuntu it actually installed, but the text constantly tears.  Is there any way around this issue, or am I going to have to keep using Mozilla Seamonkey?

2)I still can't access the console, it asks for a Username and Password but when I enter in a username it's impossible to enter in a password.  It's not that big of a deal since you don't need administrative access to change anything, but it's a problem that's persisted against me throughout all the Linux distributions I installed.

3)Every so often when I use the touchpad with a web browser, it tends to activate a "Mouse Gesture" that sends it back through the history a few pages.  This problem happens the most with Opera for some reason.

4)What's up with the Updater not installing correctly most of the time, and the Installer not being able to install stuff through the interweb?

Finally, I have a question about TS2's Compatibility with Linux.  I know TS1 runs fine with both WINE and Cedega, and in Cedega 4 there were still problems (Mostly with Cedega not supporting Dx 9.0c) but now since Cedega 5 exists have they fixed it?
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
Re: SuSe Annoyances and Linux in Sims 2
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 18, 04:24:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TS1 never worked on Linux, they did release a Mandrake Linux gaming edition that had a special version of TS1 if that's what you're thinking. It had a lot of changed source code and never got any expansions made for it.

TS2 has had several polls to get support for it, but they've always been shot down by the stupid FPS game players and such.

This is assuming you're talking about this:
http://www.transgaming.com

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 18, 04:48:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Linux remains for servers, not for games. You don't play games on Linux, Linux is for servers.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 18, 07:37:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you get ugly fonts for websites that do not specify fonts, then you should change prefs->fonts in Opera to set your defaults.

If you get ugly fonts for websites that do specify fonts, things get more complicated.  If a page specifies a font by name, Opera will use a font with that name, if possible.

Otherwise, Opera will use a complex set of rules to try to find the "best" font.  This is unfortunately not very good, since
Opera has no way of knowing how pretty a font is....

One solution is to get rid of all ugly fonts on the system :p

If you are sure that you have enough truetype fonts available (through xft;  'opera -debugfont' will list the ones Opera finds on startup), you can try disabling X font support by adding this line to the [User Prefs] section of one of the Opera configuration files
(e.g. /etc/opera6rc):

Enable Core X Fonts=0

It will of course also help if you enable antialiasing in the KDE control panel.

If you have further questions connect your news reader to news.opera.com and join opera.linux, there is a dedicated user base which can help you.

Or join the my.opera.com forums, there's Linux forums.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: