More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 September 21, 03:18:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540279 Posts in 18067 Topics by 6539 Members
Latest Member: LittleBill
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  yes, yes I am an idiot.....
0 Members and 4 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: yes, yes I am an idiot.....  (Read 5299 times)
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
yes, yes I am an idiot.....
« on: 2006 April 25, 16:48:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I meant to delete the cache.package on my game....instead I accidently deleted the cigen.package Shocked. What is it, what does it do and have a serioulsy messed up my game? It didn't regenerate after I played but the cache.package was inordinately large after I had played.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: yes, yes I am an idiot.....
« Reply #1 on: 2006 April 25, 20:05:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uh oh. The cigen.package is essentially all the thumbnails the game generates for your content. So if you deleted it, the game will have to regenerate every single thumbnail, which is BAD news when you've got thousands of CC files. I made the mistake of deleting the file a while ago. Took forever to scroll 5 pages in CAS. It's not an irreparable issue, but it sure is a major pain in the ass depending on the no. of CC files you have.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 April 25, 20:10:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That file is for Body Shop, I don't see why you are so worried.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 April 25, 21:14:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't know what OS you're running, but did you check to see if you could restore the deleted file? 
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 April 25, 22:38:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not just for bodyshop. It affects ingame thumbnails as well.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 April 25, 22:47:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do I look worried? Huh hehehe. My question basically was what is the cigen.package and I thought someone here might be able to tell me and if I should expect to see a BFBVFS anytime soon.

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 April 25, 22:54:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Deleting the cigen.package is totally fine.  It will regen next time you run BodyShop.  I've deleted it several times and I didn't ever have a problem.  Shouldn't have a BFBVFS just from that, no worries.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 25, 22:57:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, thanks very much BlueSoup. Cheesy

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 April 26, 03:05:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not just for bodyshop. It affects ingame thumbnails as well.

Can't be.

If you delete the file and then never run Bodyshop, the file will never get generated. You won't have one at all.

All the thumbnails used by the game are stored in the Thumbnails folder, and if you constantly add/delete cusom content, they can become messed up, leading to things like male sim heads appearing in the female sims bin and gigantic toddler heads in the clothing sections. In these cases deleting these files and letting the game regenerate them is a good idea. Yes, it will be slow the next time you run the game, but it's just that one time.

Fail.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 April 26, 09:23:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it is definitely just for bodyshop. The actual thumbnails for the game is (not surprisingly) in the 'Thumbnails' folder in your My Documents/The Sims folder Smiley I currently do not have a cigen.package file because I haven't run bodyshop on this install of the game.

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 April 26, 16:22:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ran bodyshop last night and sure enough, the cigen.package was regenerated. Thanks for the information that everyone gave me. Grin

idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 April 26, 21:33:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it is definitely just for bodyshop. The actual thumbnails for the game is (not surprisingly) in the 'Thumbnails' folder in your My Documents/The Sims folder Smiley I currently do not have a cigen.package file because I haven't run bodyshop on this install of the game.

I remembered that the last time I deleted the cigen file, my ingame thumbnails were shot to hell along with it. Considering that I had thousands of makeup, clothing, hair, etc., etc., it took me ages for my game to recover. I honestly don't remember ever fiddling w/ the thumbnails folder, b/c if a file is labeled "thumbnails", I don't think I'd be stupid enough to delete the thing. Could be just coincidence or faulty memory, but either way, better to be safe than sorry.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 April 26, 21:39:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why are we deleting cache.package, and where is it located? I found a file called groups.cache near the one you deleted by accident... will deleting this mystery file somehow make the game faster?

Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 April 26, 22:36:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Deleting groups.cache sometimes fixes problems due to hacks and stuff with the game not booting.  Additionally if you haven't done it for a while, it might make your game run faster.  I really haven't noticed anything different when deleting the file myself.

There's no real reason to delete thumbnail files unless you have a problem with them, which tends to happen quite a bit at least in my game.  You can safely delete 'some' files in the Program Files folder when you have some expansions.  For example, deleting splash.package in the FFP will revert the starting music back to the previous splash.package which is what the music was in your last expansion.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: