More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 03, 16:12:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Delete from in game
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Delete from in game  (Read 8350 times)
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Delete from in game
« on: 2006 February 21, 21:49:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone know this? If some objects have a new mesh, and I delete it from the catalog in the game, will I delete the mesh as well? I know you can't delte hair or clothes mesh from in game, is it the same with objects?

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Delete from in game
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 21, 21:51:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't been able to permanently delete anything since NL!  But I wouldn't know about meshes, I should think probably not, or you could then be left with a host of recolours and no mesh.

Zephyr Zodiac
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 21, 21:52:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The mesh is included with the object, I am pretty sure. I always delete recolours before the actual mesh object as well, I don't think they would be deleted if you just deleted the mesh object first.

Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 21, 21:55:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

how do you know which "icon" is recolor and which is the mesh?

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 21, 21:56:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You make a note of it when you download-silly Cheesy

Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 21, 22:01:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hehe, I know, that's deleting from the downloads folder, but I'm wondering about deleting from in game, you know sometimes when you get them from a lot or something (like the MATYville heavy version), and you want to keep some while get rid of the others.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 21, 22:08:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use the clean Installer to see what you have, then delete it from the folder.

Zephyr Zodiac
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 21, 22:29:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can actually use boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true - when you mouseover the object icons it will tell you the complete descriptions including whether it is the mesh or not Smiley Dont forget to boolProp testingCheatsEnabled false when you are done.

simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 21, 22:38:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hehe, I know, that's deleting from the downloads folder, but I'm wondering about deleting from in game, you know sometimes when you get them from a lot or something (like the MATYville heavy version), and you want to keep some while get rid of the others.

If there is something specific in the MATYville version you have questions about, you could PM or email me and I can see if I can tell you if it's a mesh or recolor. Some of the stuff I know about because they are items I also had in my personal collection and recognized then in the lots that were loaded. Other items, I'm not so sure about as they just "came along for the ride" when I imported some lots.
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 22, 00:32:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks semmiecal. I think of a way of doing it now. I open a new lot, and put those objects that I want to keep and package it. I then load it with clean installer after cleaning out the whole downloads folder. hehe... Grin I'm happy I found a solution.

Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 22, 06:40:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's really a much easier way. Wink  Just go to your catalog and click on the object you want to delete.  First, check to see if it has any textures and if it does, delete the textures (if you try to delete the mesh/texture you won't have the delete option at this point).  This will leave you with the mesh and its original texture.  Now back in the catalog view simply click on the object and in the lower right-hand corner you'll see that little delete arrow-looking thingy.  Now, click that.  That gets rid of the mesh.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 22, 10:33:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But can you explain why, in my game, I do that, and the whole thing reappears next time I load the game?

Zephyr Zodiac
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 22, 15:05:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But can you explain why, in my game, I do that, and the whole thing reappears next time I load the game?

Because you do it WRONG!!! *giggles* Just kidding....I don't know why.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 22, 15:08:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know, it's sooo frustrating!  I have bits of blue bedding which appear in the catalog, and I just can't delete the darn things permanently!  And therre's no empty file - I checked!  The only thing which I know will work is to yank out every single bedding file I have in the game, then reboot and restart the game without any bedding files in at all!  So everything then gets reset to the pale blue default, then I can exit and start putting the bedding files back a few at a time!  But it's such a pain!

Zephyr Zodiac
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 22, 15:11:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The answer is never to download anything-ever Cry

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 22, 15:16:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, yes, I guess so!  But then I'd be stuck with those horrible default bedding sets.........  And this problem only started with NL and the custom enabler/disabler!

Zephyr Zodiac
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 22, 15:57:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check to make sure the files are not set read-only?

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 22, 16:01:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What files?  They don't exist, as far as I can see!

Zephyr Zodiac
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 22, 16:03:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you right-click on your Downloads folder and choose Properties, you can see whether it's at read-only status or not.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 22, 16:05:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you delete something from in the game, but the file is set read-only, the file won't actually be deleted. The game will probably register it as gone just after deletion, but since the file is still there, the next time you reload the game it'll be loaded in just like everything else in your downloads directory.

(Have not actually tested this, but it seems reasonable to me that the game would register it as gone.)

If you somehow have stuff that's still showing up in the catalog even though the file no longer exists anywhere on your hard drive, then your computer must be having delusions. Wink

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 22, 16:10:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I expect the file exists somewhere as I keep backups, but it isn't in the game folder - I've tried removing every bedding file into a folder, running the lot through Clean Installer, and they all show up properly!  I will try setting everything to writeable, though, and see if it helps!

Also, if you use TJs serve everyone hack, and kids cook the meal, they don't serve it, just leave it on the counter.  Or you could have them make pizza with Carrigon's oven!
« Last Edit: 2006 February 22, 16:16:36 by ZephyrZodiac » Logged

Zephyr Zodiac
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 22, 16:52:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried deleting your thumbnail files? When I do a clean up I find that I have to do this or I end up with a lot of blue thumbnails, especially bedding as I might delete a bed or two I never use and the bedding then disappears from all the other beds leaving behind a blue thumbnail.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 22, 17:02:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did try that on one occasion, and ended up losing the thumbnails for Numenor's recolourable stairs!  And although they're fine in a different game folder, they won't come back in this one!  It's just wierd, and I think the only answer is probably to move my whole downloads folder out, load the game, exit and then replace everything.

Zephyr Zodiac
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 23, 08:15:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've deleted a lot of custom content in-game since installing NL and never had a problem with doing it.  Everything seems to work peachily.  I did notice, though, that objects no longer have to be in the Downloads folder for the game to read them--anywhere in The Sims 2 folder works.  But you said they were completely out of the game folder so that shouldn't be the problem.  Hmmmm.  Ya know, I wish I had an actual brain in my head that could think!

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 23, 08:40:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I haven't actually tried removing them yet, at least not in this set of game folders.  I just think I might have to do it to get rid of the "ghost" files.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: