More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 21, 05:52:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Community Lot Skilling
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Community Lot Skilling  (Read 5963 times)
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Community Lot Skilling
« on: 2005 November 26, 11:04:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've carried this hack (or a version of the hack) since I put my first hacks into TS2.  It never really mattered because I hated visiting community lots before NL.

Now, I love going downtown.  I even love the downtownies.  My Sims spend a lot of time down there....gaining skills while there would be excellent, and my downtownies skilling up even more, wonderful.

Stupid question:  I don't see a bar over their heads, but they are still skilling, right? 

Second stupid question:  Would anyone be kind enough to share a list of activities that add skill points?  (organized or random, I don't care...random always works for me)

The way you play question:  (because these are my favorite questions to ask)  Do you play with community skilling in mind, or is it just incidental to your game?

I did look to see if I could find a thread on community skilling in the hacks forum and didn't find one.

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Community Lot Skilling
« Reply #1 on: 2005 November 26, 11:30:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stupid question:  I don't see a bar over their heads, but they are still skilling, right?
If there's no bar, you're using an old version. Get the new version.

Second stupid question:  Would anyone be kind enough to share a list of activities that add skill points?  (organized or random, I don't care...random always works for me)
See the War Room's Skilling thread.

The way you play question:  (because these are my favorite questions to ask)  Do you play with community skilling in mind, or is it just incidental to your game?
It's mostly incidental, although it's nice to know that objects which would gain skills aren't totally useless on community lots.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 26, 12:39:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

War room.  I didn't check the war room.   Tongue

Thanks!

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 26, 12:46:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ALL my townies and sims gain skilling points when visiting community lots, or are guests at my house. And they all have bars when training.

I use the 28th September 05 version.

I have a community lot with beds and showers, and large buffets (including Pizzas). When I want my sim to max his skills, I take him there, and hold him there for days, until he finishes his training. Then he comes home 1-2 hours later after he left.

I had another version of com-skilling, but I was not satisfied with the fact that you can't gain skilling points at the community lots (JMP is happy to know that some objects are useless; why?) - so I play the version which enables gaining skill points.

I always play with the community skilling in mind - it saves me a lot waste of time training at home.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 26, 16:33:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the latest version (25 Sept) and most of the time there's a bar, but occasionally there isn't (still get the notification, though).  In my case it's incidental, I don't specifically send Sims to community lots to gain points unless they're at Uni, in which case I will use the SS lot for that purpose, but only if they're abducted - i.e., I take advantage of it to gain them some skills.  I use the mod because it annoys me when they're using these objects and don't get credit for it.  With townies/dormies, sometimes I remove their skills periodically in SimPE to avoid them becoming too accomplished.  No fun in listening to them sing or play the piano if they're too good at it!

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 November 26, 21:19:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why remove their skills with SimPE? Why not just remove them using the SimVac? It's more fun that way.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 November 26, 21:24:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I refuse to use the SimVac because it defeats its objective in my opinion.  If I could use it so my Sims with low aspiration could gain aspiration from it, fair enough, there'd be a purpose to it.  But do I really want my perma-plat Sims getting more aspiration points?  Or those already in plat getting them?  Answer - NO!  I want my Sims in green or red to get them.  That makes perfect sense to me and serves a purpose, the current way it operates doesn't.

Then of course there's the problem of townies having a permanent mid-range aspiration level set, which means that once they're red, they stay red, and after a while you get a little sick of them constantly panhandling or whatever.  I deliberately make townies selectable and get them a few points, or lose them some, so they vary and therefore act differently instead of being Stepford Townies (a la the Stepford Dormies I've already mentioned).  I'm getting a teeny-weeny bit fed-up of all this pre-set stuff, especially since installing the new dormies mod has shown me just how bad it actually is.  I would like to see a mod that let their aspirations change depending on what happens to them, otherwise I can't see the point in them having an aspiration meter.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 November 26, 21:33:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Townie and dormie aspirational level *DO* change, but since you can't see what their wants are, and they don't attempt to actually satisfy them, most of the time their wants are never met. While they don't have decay, all that repeatedly peeing themselves and passing out eventually drives them into the red.

KLGFCG
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 November 26, 23:03:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm certain to get my lips ripped for this, but where is the version that Gali is talking about... the Sept 28 one? The latest one I can find is Sept 24 in the NL compatible hacks directory. I'm certain I'm overlooking something obvious, but ah well. ~KG
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 November 26, 23:42:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think she means the one I posted here with a very minor change to make it skilling for all, even other playable sims who are guests on a lot.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=778.msg28313#msg28313

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 November 26, 23:45:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol, sorry Motoki that I gave all the credits  to JMP - I even didn't remember it...Smiley.

But this version "saved" my game...Smiley.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 November 26, 23:51:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I don't deserve any credit, the one change I made was so pathetically small it took me a couple of seconds to do. I just did it because he was too stubborn to do it himself. Tongue

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 November 27, 05:27:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Townie and dormie aspirational level *DO* change, but since you can't see what their wants are, and they don't attempt to actually satisfy them, most of the time their wants are never met. While they don't have decay, all that repeatedly peeing themselves and passing out eventually drives them into the red.

I imagine taking a bunch of townies and/or dormies on dates and checking out their wants and filling them is improving this situation somewhat? I've even been known to help them get a skill point or something if that's what's in their meter.

Unsouper
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 November 28, 00:04:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a B&B that I made and it has a gym in it,everybody beelines it to the gym and stays there till they are stinky.  It is nice that they are gaining skills while doing it.  I'm going to check out the other version cause I always have to take control of the other playable sims so they skill and I don't like doing that cause they lose aspiration when I do that.  A lot of my townies are maxing out there body points--not sure how much I like that--but oh well.  I kinda enjoy my sims kicking there butts so easily,guess I'm in for longer fights.
KLGFCG
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 November 28, 06:40:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think she means the one I posted here with a very minor change to make it skilling for all, even other playable sims who are guests on a lot.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=778.msg28313#msg28313

Got it. Thanks! ~KG
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: