More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 25, 05:48:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Everything that can go wrong, is!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Everything that can go wrong, is!  (Read 14326 times)
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
Everything that can go wrong, is!
« on: 2005 August 01, 18:13:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good God, what have I done? My game is suddenly as buggy as ever. As you may know, I've been painstakingly going through my character files, memories, cleaning things up, etc. and all was going well. Now it's not. I have the jump bug for the bed and hot tub, my sims cannot use the phone (it disappears from the queue as soon as I put it up), and when I looked in simpe, to my horror there are copies of many of my sims, with "no character data". What I suspect is the culprit is an occupied lot I moved to the bin. But before you rip my lips off, I did not know it was occupied when I moved it. I explained this briefly in the neighborhood terrain surgery thread, but I'll try again. There was a lot embedded in a mountain that I discovered only by accident when I moused over it and it showed up red. It was of no use to me where it was, so I decided to lotbin it, thinking it was *only* a lot. What harm could come from that? I got a message "Are you sure you want to move 'modern villa' to the Lots and Houses bin?", which surprised me, as I thought it was an empty lot. I thought, what the hell, okay. I'll just move this unoccupied, empty house to the bin. No problem. When I grabbed it for replacement in the hood, that's when I saw that there was a family in the house. So I unknowingly lotbinned an occupied house, which I know is an evil, evil thing to do.  I have not downloaded any occupied lots, so am I correct in my assumption that this is the root of my "no character data" multiple files, and, perhaps, the phone and jump-bug problem? I can't think of anything else that could have done it. If so, will removing these extra copies help resolve my problem? I looked at the files, and the copies have no relationships to anyone other than maybe phantom sims living in their phantom households, so I'm hoping I can delete them and continue with my fine-tooth comb-through of my real neighborhood files.
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
Re: Everything that can go wrong, is!
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 01, 18:15:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow.  Sucks for you. Undecided

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 01, 18:23:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

gah? Sorry to hear that. Man... but I sympathize as I'm sure I've done some equally bone-headed things and I would most likely probably also lotbin an occupied house that I thought was unoccupied. Tongue Sorry, no offense about the bone-headed comment. Hehe.

Anyhew, just so's I know, where exactly was this lot that you found hiding in a mountain, just so that I don't repeat this error by accident myself. lol

And... if this only recently happened, hopefully then all the no character data files will be numbered as the most recently added and hopefully you can delete all of those without a problem if they are at the end of the list.

Before I knew about the lotbin issue, I had moved in two families from my sister's game, and since then have created several other sims and added Uni to my game.  Roll Eyes So it's kind of too late for me to try and clean up those files. *sighs* I'm settling for trudging along until my game blows up into a bfbvfos.

Ste

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 01, 18:40:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't you have a backupped copy of the neighbourhood, to play it again? (I backup each 3-4 days the neighbourhood, just in case).

And, do you have a saved Downloads folder? I save it each 3-4 days.

Paste a previous backupped neighbourhood.

Paste your saved Downloads folders again.

Usually, when I try to move a house to the house bin, I get a message that I have to VISIT this house first, then move it to the house bin. Didn't you get this message? Weird.

JM will "kill" me, but the easiest backup is done with the Enhanser - it has many backups, with dates of the backup. The SimPe backups only the last one.
I can play in Strangetown, make a lot of backups, and then decide to play it from the beginning - restoring the first backup, then return to the last play, by restoring the last backup.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 01, 18:41:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

gah? Sorry to hear that. Man... but I sympathize as I'm sure I've done some equally bone-headed things and I would most likely probably also lotbin an occupied house that I thought was unoccupied. Tongue Sorry, no offense about the bone-headed comment. Hehe.
Heyyyyyy, I resemble that remark. It was an accident!!!

And... if this only recently happened, hopefully then all the no character data files will be numbered as the most recently added and hopefully you can delete all of those without a problem if they are at the end of the list.

They are all at the end of the list. That's why I'm hoping it's not too late. Actually, I'm looking at a backup from last Friday before it happened. Of course, using that would mean losing all the changes I've made to the memories and such and I'd pretty much be starting over, but I'm worried about unforeseen long-term consequences of this current 'hood. Dammit.

Oh, and about where that lot was, it was a house I built with a family I forgot about, so you won't have to worry about that.  Tongue
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 01, 18:46:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't you have a backupped copy of the neighbourhood, to play it again? (I backup each 3-4 days the neighbourhood, just in case).

And, do you have a saved Downloads folder? I save it each 3-4 days.

Paste a previous backupped neighbourhood.

Paste your saved Downloads folders again.

Usually, when I try to move a house to the house bin, I get a message that I have to VISIT this house first, then move it to the house bin. Didn't you get this message? Weird.

JM will "kill" me, but the easiest backup is done with the Enhanser - it has many backups, with dates of the backup. The SimPe backups only the last one.
I can play in Strangetown, make a lot of backups, and then decide to play it from the beginning - restoring the first backup, then return to the last play, by restoring the last backup.

We posted at the same time, I think!
Yes, I make frequent backups (almost everyday), and, like I said above, may go back to the last one. Which was Friday. Bleah.
I've gotten the "you have to visit the lot first" message in the past, before I even knew about the lotbinning thing and would try to move out a family or move the whole thing to the bin. I know better, now, but I screwed up anyway. And this last time I did not get that message, which confused me, too. I never actually went into the house before, so you'd think that message would have popped up! 

edited to shamefully add: okay, I must have gone into the house in order to put a family in there, right? Well, I didn't, which means it can only be a (gulp!) downloaded occupied house from long ago. I have honestly never played this family.
« Last Edit: 2005 August 01, 19:02:04 by Brynne » Logged
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 01, 19:06:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, Brynne - it's only a game, and we all make (gulp too, lol) foolish actions - that's how we learn (adding the ripped lips too)...Smiley.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 01, 19:11:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, Brynne - it's only a game, and we all make (gulp too, lol) foolish actions - that's how we learn (adding the ripped lips too)...Smiley.

I am making that my daily mantra. "It's only a game. It's only a game. It's only a game."
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 01, 19:23:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Words of encouragement:  I've had similar things happen before I knew lotbinning was the seventh deadly sin.  I got multiple files.  I deleted them.  I'm still playing the original haracters with no problems.  Just take care you get the file numbers correct. My game may eventually disappear into a gfbvfos, but it may well have done that anyway even if I'd played correctly from the word go - at least so I understand.

One thing I don't have in my game is any CAS ghosts, in fact any ghosts of sims that were alive when I first started to play this version of Pleasant View.  I think ghosts are the problem!  They do seem to wander from lot to lot!

Zephyr Zodiac
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 01, 19:30:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyhew, just so's I know, where exactly was this lot that you found hiding in a mountain, just so that I don't repeat this error by accident myself. lol

Val did the terrain surgery and one of her houses ended up in a mountain. Many others were lost at sea if I remember correctly (although she forgot to do a screenshot...ahem). When you do the surgery, the houses will be scattered all over the place and you have to manually move them so they sit on a road-side. AncientSim's houses were all invisible after the surgery, and Ancient had to mouse over the new terrain to find them, but I think that was so because something was done/left undone before surgery.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 01, 21:14:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The SimPe backups only the last one.
You can have as many back-ups as you like in SimPE.  I usually have 2 or 3 and can reinstall any one I want.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 01, 21:39:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, so the house and the family are both in the lot bin?  Pardon me if I sound like an idiot but when I think of the lot bin, I think of where you go to get lots OR houses (depending on which icon you click).  You would think being a house, when you lot-binned it, the game would have placed it with all of the other homes.  Can you not access the house through the lot bin and place it back in the neighborhood?  Again, pardon me if I sound idiotic, but I didn't catch in any of the posts that the house actually disappeared, only that it was in the lot bin.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 01, 22:16:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed that if you lot-bin a house with sim(s), the only way to avoid the dreaded profusion of empty character files is to "deleteAllCharacters", wipe the memories of the lot-binned sims, then replace them (not pretty). I avoid the lot-bin unless I'm building a neighborhood.

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 02, 00:39:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are right, Ancient - I didn't double-click on the backups folder, to see there are many subfolders...Smiley. Duhhh...Smiley.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 02, 06:21:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They lose memories outside the family anyway when they're lot-binned.  If you move them straight back in without playing any other lot first, they don't get the chance to wander round the neighbourhood, so you may not get the extra character files.

I don't do it these days, but before I knew it wasn't safe, I did it to the Brokes so Dustin would lose his memories of Angela and his burglar friend!

Zephyr Zodiac
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 02, 11:47:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Val did the terrain surgery and one of her houses ended up in a mountain. Many others were lost at sea if I remember correctly (although she forgot to do a screenshot...ahem). When you do the surgery, the houses will be scattered all over the place and you have to manually move them so they sit on a road-side. AncientSim's houses were all invisible after the surgery, and Ancient had to mouse over the new terrain to find them, but I think that was so because something was done/left undone before surgery.

G.

I went to the backup from Friday, found the occupied house, and simply placed it elsewhere in the neighborhood, avoiding the lotbin altogether. I found four or five other (unoccupied!) houses in that same mountain! They were "invisible" because they were actually inside the mountain (or "under" it). Hopefully I got them all this time.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 02, 11:52:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I know that before I knew about the occupied houses buggering your game, I downloaded a couple.  One or two I actually played in my custom neighborhood that I made (without noticing any troubles).  Can I just evict the people, and move them back in and I'll be all okey dokey, or will the whole game eventually become a bfbvfos?  Or just that one neighborhood?    Should I bulldoze the houses?  Ack!

Chris

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 02, 12:03:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm in the same boat. I haven't downloaded any occupied lots since learning about the inevitable horrors of it all, but I have a few from way back when. One of those is the one that I suspect caused my problems. I don't even play these families! Unfortunately, they've wandered onto my lot in the past, so my sims have memories of them. I want them gone gone gone! I was playing my latest backup last night, and the sim from that damn house of pure evil kept trying to wander the sidewalk in front of my house. I zapped him off immediately with the teleporter shrub every time. Why must he torment me so?!  I hate him hate him hate him! Deep breath, now... Angry
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 02, 16:49:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you got the Townie and NPC zapper?  Sorry, actual name is NPC and Visitor zapper.

Zephyr Zodiac
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 02, 16:55:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, actually. I hadn't even considered using it, but I think I'll give it a try now.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 02, 16:59:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least once a sim is banned, it's permanent and you don't have to stop what you're doing!

Zephyr Zodiac
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 03, 06:21:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I probably wouldn't want to do this, but what is this terrain surgery that you speak of? [/said the curious cat... Tongue]

Ste

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 August 03, 06:40:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I probably wouldn't want to do this, but what is this terrain surgery that you speak of? [/said the curious cat... Tongue]

In the war room is a tutorial...
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: