More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 03, 06:10:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Game crashing randomly, black screen
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Game crashing randomly, black screen  (Read 2720 times)
anuvi
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Game crashing randomly, black screen
« on: 2010 February 12, 18:01:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi!

First time poster, long time lurker... I have been trying to get over my annoying game crashing problem with no results so I thought I might humbly turn to you and ask you guys for help, as a last resort sort of... I recently got a new computer, specs as follows:

Processor:  Phenom II X4 925, AM3 2.8 GHz 95W
Graphics card: Ati Radeon HD 5750 iceQ+, 1GB, GDDR5, 128-bit, PCI
Memory: Kingston HyperX 2x2GB, DDR2 1066MHz, CL5
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
directX 11

Problem is, that when I play the game it quite suddenly and randomly shuts everything down. I get most often black screen (once it was red, once light violet, once gray with thin stripes but mostly I get the black one) and the computer stops reacting. I have to reset in order to get my computer alive again. If I boot it, nothing happens, has to be reseted. I have checked with Everest that it's not about over heating and it's not about too much strain on the computer. When I look at the log Everest creates, there is actually no events what so ever to the time when the crash happens.

In the Sims2 Logs folder I have this:

Log generated on 2/12/2010, 10:57

=== Application info ===
Name:            The Sims 2 EP9
Version:         1.17.0.66
Build:           ReleaseSRT
=== Machine info ===
OS version:      Windows NT 5.1
CPU:             3920Mhz, Name:AuthenticAMD, FPU:1, MMX:1
Memory:          1024MB
Free memory:     1024MB
User:            Nunnun kone
Computer:        NUNNUNKONE-PC
=== Sound device info ===
Name:            Unknown
Driver:          Unknown
=== Graphics device info ===
Number:          0
Name (driver):   ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Name (database): ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series  <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>
Vendor:          ATI
Chipset:         Vendor: 1002, Device: 68be, Board: 200a1787, Chipset: 0000
Driver:          atiu9pag.dll, Version: 8.14.1.6091, GUID: D7B71EE2-2BFE-11CF-FC63-0B00A1C2C535
Driver version:  6091
Monitor:         \\.\DISPLAY1
Monitor aspect:  1.776902, 16:9
Screen mode:     1920x1080x32BPP,60Hz
Texture memory:  2808MB
HW T&L:          Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program:   3.0
Texture stages:  8
AppControlledAA: 1

So, being a complete noob in these things, is that " <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>" very significant and has it something to do with this crashing thing?

There is no difference whether I play completely "pure" game or have my cc and hacks on. There is also no difference if I run the game in XP Compatibility Mode or not. For some reason I can't set the CPU affinity to one core, I get a message that it is not possible.

I have tried to look at my graphic cards settings but, being the noob I am, haven't been able to come to any solusion what should I do with them. I have just resently  updated my drivers (yesterday or the day before). I have directX11.

Any ideas what's going on with my game? I would greatly appreciate any help and I hope I have provided enough information in order to someone get some sort of picture drawn. If you need anymore information, I will gladly give it to you. Thank you for reading about my problems and giving them a thought!

Nichts ist mächtiger als eine Idee zur richtigen Zeit.- Victor Hugo
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Game crashing randomly, black screen
« Reply #1 on: 2010 February 12, 18:55:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Problem is, that when I play the game it quite suddenly and randomly shuts everything down. I get most often black screen (once it was red, once light violet, once gray with thin stripes but mostly I get the black one) and the computer stops reacting.
My guess? Overheating. Hard-lock is a driver or hardware malfunction, and "randomly" tends to imply a heat related issue. The other alternative is power shortfalls, if your power supply is not adequate.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
anuvi
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Re: Game crashing randomly, black screen
« Reply #2 on: 2010 February 12, 19:58:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for answering! I have been watching the temperatures with Everest while playing and they seem to be around 50ºC. I have never seen temperatures reach 70ºC. I have an extra fan and my graphic card is supposed to be running a bit cooler than an average. I also have a possibility to adjust my fans and at the moment they are set to run in medium. I think that temperatures around 50ºC during playing are ok? My power supply should be adequate (Antec's TruePower Trio 550W).

Oh, I'm sure there is a logical or reasonable explanation to my problem, I just wish I could figure out what it is. I had been thinking that the problem has something to do with my graphics card and the settings it has but I just can't understand the settings and what I should be adjusting in order to get a balanced and functional system. Well, I just have to dig deeper and google even more. ;-) But thank you for taking time and answering Pescado!

Nichts ist mächtiger als eine Idee zur richtigen Zeit.- Victor Hugo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: