More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 26, 05:54:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Can't get into game even when bypassing launcher.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can't get into game even when bypassing launcher.  (Read 5222 times)
InABox
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Can't get into game even when bypassing launcher.
« on: 2008 July 16, 17:30:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Suddenly my game won't let me get into it anymore.  I would get to the launcher, click on it and then nothing would happen.  I tried bypassing the launcher (by right clicking on desktop shortcut, selecting properties, and editing the target line to read ....Sims2EP7.exe) but still nothing happens when I click on my desktop shortcut.  Any suggestions?

My God, what the hell am I doing?
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
Re: Can't get into game even when bypassing launcher.
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 16, 17:32:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, ever since Freetime, my game will start (you can see it try on Task Manager) and then fall out of memory due to a faulty groups.cache, so it seemed like nothing was happening. I have to clear it with every game start now.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 16, 17:36:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Additionally, you seem to be running from disk.  You might try removing secuROM and then running from a no-cd crack.  (At worst, you will be saving wear and tear on your disks).  Do not use the launcher: it prompts the game to phone home, causing lag.

Other possible issues:  Have you downloaded any new hacks or CC?  Try loading with your Downloads folder out (take it out and put it somewhere else safe on your computer).

Tribulatio proxima est
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 16, 18:55:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with Kazzandra. Since installing FT my groups.cache file often gets corrupted.  I have to delete it at least every 4 or 5 days. Never did it before.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 16, 20:35:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So <i>that's</i> what the launcher does. (Uh... the launcher doesn't reinstall SecuROM in the process, right? if you're using a no-CD crack?)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 16, 21:27:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope. SecuROM's only on the game's executable. Launcher =/= game executable.

The launcher's only purpose is to advertise for other EA products. That's why it's asking to connect to the web; it's trying to get the lasted ad-spam.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 18, 17:25:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That 'group cache' has become a problem for many and does need to be deleted. I also delete the 'accessory cache'.

Finding the Laucher to be annoying, I changed its exe to bak to disable it and use the no-cd desktop short cut to run the game. The Launcher is another way that connects and allows information gathering for EA Games. The game created an "Allow" status for the Launcher in my firewall when the game was installed. Since Pets ep, EA has made firewall opennings and connects to the pc while on internet, don't have to play the game, just be on internet and EA was in my pc.

Would very much like to know what information EA is striving to get. They aren't telling which makes me more suspicious.
InABox
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 18, 20:05:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks everyone.  Deleting the groups.cache seemed to solve the problem.  Now I'm off to learn about getting secuROM off my computer and how to use a noCD crack.

My God, what the hell am I doing?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: