More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 25, 22:43:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  BV/FT Anxiety
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: BV/FT Anxiety  (Read 3636 times)
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
BV/FT Anxiety
« on: 2008 March 25, 07:46:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hoping this isn't a horribly silly post...

Now that some time has passed, I'm thinking it's about time to finally break down and install BV and FT, but I'm practically paralyzed with anxiety about all the things I'm going to need to do in order to make these EPs playable on my terms. My terms really aren't that sticky - vacation locals who aren't Maxis fug, objects/interactions behaving almost sorta like they're intended to, weddings that don't end in non-honeymoonable disasters, and maybe the occasional swim in the ocean. But the more I note the posts about what's wrong with these titles, the more nervous I am about the mountain of work it seems I'll have to do in order to find these EPs really playable. Am I overreacting? I'd really appreciate any input you guys might have about the steps I should be taking before/after installing these EPs.

(aside from, of course, the SecuROM crap and downloading the DC)

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: BV/FT Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 25, 10:41:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Download clean neigbourhood templates (see thread in Peasantry), use face templates, remove ALL old hacks, backup, backup, BACKUP! Add new and updated hacks before starting the game upon install of new EPs.
It isn't much worse than that.
Honeymoon borkiness is the only thing I haven't seen a fix for, but just don't book honeymoons and you'll be fine.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 25, 10:56:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hoping this isn't a horribly silly post...

Now that some time has passed, I'm thinking it's about time to finally break down and install BV and FT, but I'm practically paralyzed with anxiety about all the things I'm going to need to do in order to make these EPs playable on my terms. My terms really aren't that sticky - vacation locals who aren't Maxis fug, objects/interactions behaving almost sorta like they're intended to, weddings that don't end in non-honeymoonable disasters, and maybe the occasional swim in the ocean. But the more I note the posts about what's wrong with these titles, the more nervous I am about the mountain of work it seems I'll have to do in order to find these EPs really playable. Am I overreacting? I'd really appreciate any input you guys might have about the steps I should be taking before/after installing these EPs.

(aside from, of course, the SecuROM crap and downloading the DC)
Liz, as with any game or EP you want to make sure your  computer is ready and capable of playing the Sims2 EP's. features won't work in BV or FT if you don't have adequate RAM I am usiing 4 gb of RAM  my DL folder is 2.5 gb and all features work for me.

Second,make sure old hacks  that arent compatible with BV,FT are removed .I use Pescado's hacks ,Inge's  and Two Jeffs fixes. TJ has a critical fix for free time.Inge's nanny fix is critical if you love CC baby furniture or the furniture that comes with free time.For some the games error regardless of precautions taken.for others game play is relatively smooth.
Most critical of all make a backup of your working game.

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 25, 12:36:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've only installed BV - FT is on it's way to me and I haven't had any trouble worth talking about with it.  I haven't actually patched yet - thought I'd do that when I get FT.  But then I don't have custom face templates or anything.  Empty hood templates and Pescado's hacks.

I haven't put my own sims back into the game yet though.  I've played my TSR challenge hood and if anything there get's bugged, well who cares as long as I finish the challenge!  I'll probably go back to my own sims when FT has settled down.  If you're really worrying, why don't you do something like that, then it's not a big disaster if you don't get it all right first time?

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 25, 12:59:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My copy turned up today but I will probably wait until the weekend to install as the whole back-up/update process takes quite a long time and I prefer to get it right first time. A compatible version of SimPE is also on my requirement list and I note that one has appeared super quick so it will definitely be all systems go. If you don't want SecuROM then replace the official EXE with a no CD crack version before running the game and run it direct, don't use the launcher.

Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 26, 08:27:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for your suggestions, guys! I guess, when it comes down to it, that aside from the SecuROM crap it's pretty much like installing any other EPs (only, y'know, more so). I don't have any families I'd weep to lose, so I'm not that fussed about losing my playables. I do lurve my townies I've generated, though, so I'll probably be cloning them as extra insurance. Them and some of the comm lots I've whumped together.

...For some the games error regardless of precautions taken.for others game play is relatively smooth.

I think that's the crux of the issue, for me. I've had a relatively smooth time with previous EP installs (touch wood!). Most of the major borks seem to have passed me by, and I can't help feeling my luck's about to run out. I just have this nightmare vision of vacations that never end, sewing tables with permanently occupied chairs, and Takemizu locals stuck in endless loops of slap-dancing. Not to mention "Don's Backwards House of Hobby Lot-ageTM".

I'll probably take a couple of hours to back things up and organize downloads, then run through the rest of my To-Do checklist before trying the installs tonight. If you guys have any more suggestions, I'd be grateful to hear 'em.

Thanks you!  Wink

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 26, 19:15:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm running a patched version of BV with Pescado's fixes and clean templates installed, and haven't had that many problems. It slowed my game down a bit, but I didn't have enough ram for the sims anyway, but I think it was worth installing, and most of the issues have been taken care of by now. I've only had a problem with the wave portals getting deleted, but nothing that major. Just make a backup first. As far as FT goes, I am still too nervous to install it, either. I'm intimidated by all the updating of CC I'd have to do.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: