More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 28, 05:17:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Robot shop stupidity
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Robot shop stupidity  (Read 4432 times)
qvcatullus
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Robot shop stupidity
« on: 2007 May 23, 17:00:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With any luck there's already a fix or three that I've missed because I didn't play for a pretty long time. Feel free to call me a moron and point me in the right direction. Both, please.

I'm trying to run a robot shop, both to try out a different business I didn't run in the 2.5 hours I originally played OFB and so that I could make some of the robots available to the whole neighborhood if they came in to buy them. Trouble is that the game seems to get confused about restocking -- it seems to be selling the base of the robot stand rather than the robot itself, so it will happily replace a hydrobot with a cleanbot and vice versa; same issue with the sentry/munchiebots. It even keeps the old price -- if I had put a sentrybot down originally, I sell it, and the restocker replaces it with a munchiebot, it keeps the sentrybot price up for the new munchiebot.

This is intensely annoying to me, both because it makes the shop pretty stupid, but also because it always winds up with all sentries and no munchies or such. Then when I send someone in to buy a robot, the kind that I want is, inevitably, the one that is not available. Not that the clean/hydrobots are even remotely worth purchasing in the first place, but that's a different issue.

Is there any sort of fix or hack (possibly a workaround other than 'only sell one type of robot') to clear up this stupidity? Something that forces the game to remember which kind of robot was originally for sale would be optimal. A 'craftables as buyables' hack would, I suppose, fix at least one of those problems and strikes me as more likely something that already exists.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
Re: Robot shop stupidity
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 23, 17:12:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The robot and the base are parts of the same object.  You can't use one without the other, and you can't sell one without the other.  So the behavior you're seeing (selling the base AND the robot) is the correct one.

I'm not sure about how to fix the price problem.  It's been a while since I ran my own robot shop, since I got completely bored with OFB's businesses.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
qvcatullus
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 May 23, 17:41:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My point is that they're not being treated as the same thing. Both the hydrobot and the cleanbot use the same sort of base. If I sell a hydrobot and have both hydros and cleans in inventory, the restock command seems just as likely to put another cleanbot down as a hydro. It's clearly just considering the base as the object for sale, not the whole robot, and will happily put down either kind of base that fits the bill. I'm not angry about the bases disappearing with the sale, that is of course supposed to happen. What's driving me batty is the idiotic way in which the game replaces them.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 May 24, 04:40:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately, that's just how the game works. I've gotten around this (somewhat) by having two sims making two different types of robot (from the same badge level) simultaneously, so that the two types of robot alternate within the owner's inventory. For example, I'll have Sim A 'make many' of the hydrobots and Sim B 'make many' of the cleanbots, at the same time, and thus the type of robot that appears in the owner's inventory will alternate between the two. This still doesn't fix the pricing discrepancy, but at least it keeps the same type of robot from dominating the sales floor. I agree that the entire thing is rather stupid, and this is why I no longer bother with robotics shops.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 May 24, 07:02:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a possible workaround.  Simwardrobe has made a "Sani-Bot" because he didn't like the cleanbot.  I *think* this is a completely seperate object, so your employees shouldn't get confused when restocking.

I haven't tried this robot yet, but I believe it's crafted at the station just like other robots.  The web page is here:  http://www.simwardrobe.com/

Ok, I just checked, and it's a buyable object.  There must be something weird going on with the bases, because he has a warning that his Cantina bot uses the same base, and the robots may return to the wrong bases. 

You could post on his message board and ask if his Sani-Bot would help with your problem.

« Last Edit: 2007 May 24, 07:09:56 by nocomment » Logged
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 May 28, 13:53:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, there's nothing wrong with the bases -- that's how they were designed by EAxis, and this is what Paladin had to work with. All roverbots use the same roverbot base, and all hoverbots use the same hoverbot base. Yes, it's stupid, but that's how they were designed in the first place, and thus there was no viable way for Paladin to work around this when making his own variations of the robots.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 May 29, 09:10:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I wasn't trying to blame Paladin.  By "something weird" I meant a limitation of the actual game, not some mistake on his part.

I didn't realize robots shared bases.  I started a robot shop, but obviously haven't worked very hard on it! 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 May 29, 16:22:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: