More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 21, 05:41:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Annoying XP Setup
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Annoying XP Setup  (Read 8342 times)
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
Annoying XP Setup
« on: 2007 February 05, 18:23:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a Windows XP setup somewhere on my computer. I was going to install it on a secondary hard drive that was in my computer, but it required a reformat, so I opted out. That's well enough, but now my computer sees this setup as another OS. I have to play an annoying game of beat the clock to select 2000 (the OS I use on my primary hard drive) everytime I start up my computer. I'd just go ahead and install XP on this one (I actually plan to), but this setup is hellbent on overwriting everything, instead of just doing the "upgrade" thing. I want to start this whole process over. Where is the setup located so I can trash it?

On a side note, is there any reason for me to keep 2000? I'm content with what I have, so if there's any major flaw with XP, I'll just trash the setup and stop there.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
Re: Annoying XP Setup
« Reply #1 on: 2007 February 13, 11:27:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't expect to have to resort to this here.

Bump.  Tongue
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 13, 11:31:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check boot.ini in your primary HDD on the first channel (typically C:).

Remove or comment out the setup under [operating systems], or just make the 2000 install default under [boot loader] and set the timeout to 0.

Should you want the choice back, boot with F8 held.

If you're getting XP there's no added value to keeping 2000 around, unless you use XP Crippled (Home Edition).
Scratch
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 13, 12:28:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While we're on the subject of annoying XP setups.

A friend of mine bought a new laptop in December and was told they'd get an upgrade to Vista when it came out... After a while i noticed it started way to slow for a 3 ghz cpu with 1 gig memory... so i poked around a bit and noticed the file table on c: and d: are both FAT32... why would it be done that way?? Stupid fricken Future Shop!!! I think it's XP media centre and i've heard that media centre is just WinME with XP bits added on...

Is this going to cause probs when it's upgraded to Vista? (probably!!)... Should it be wiped and repartioned with NTFS. Do you need XP on it to upgrade to vista? The only thing i know about the upgrade so far is that the owner has to send to the PC Manufacter for the disk... so i don't know if it's a full install disk or upgrade disk...

Thoughts?? Wisdom??
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 13, 12:39:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

)You can convert FAT32 disks to NTFS (but not vice versa) without the need to reformat.
From the command prompt (cmd.exe): CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS (C: is the drive to convert).

)Vista upgrade disks can be used to clean install. You're not supposed to know this, but it does work: http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201/

)I'd never upgrade an OS over an existing OS. You end up with garbage data from the old OS infesting the new one. Do a clean install.

)Vista at the moment is not worth it: no OpenGL support (okay, that's ATI/Nvidia's fault), not support for more than two audio channels (Microsoft's fault), way too many "little bugs". Wait for the first few patches and fixes, and then reconsider it.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 13, 12:43:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I have 2000 as my default. You reccomend XP over 2000? No little sursprises I should be aware of?
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 13, 12:49:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

2000 is NT 5.0, XP is NT 5.1.
XP is more user oriented than 2000 and as such is easier to use, but you pay for it with a more embellished UI (which can be disabled: select the Windows classic theme and classic start menu), and retardo-options set by default (hidden files, no extensions, etc. — all can and should be changed). But you gain far better game compatibility for one.
Scratch
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 13, 13:06:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Jordi...

Definately want it to be a clean install... went through the upgrade horror once a few years ago and don't want that to happen again.

I've convinced my friend not to upgrade right away just for the reasons you mentioned but she was afraid she might miss out on the free upgrade but if it's an install disk then she can just send away for it and wait until I say it's ok

The next time i get that laptop near me i'm going to convert it... she seems to think it's broken somehow but i've explained to her how FAT32 is slowing it down and that needs to be fixed before Vista goes on it.

* Scratch frantically smashes the "thanks" button
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 14, 07:06:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're getting XP there's no added value to keeping 2000 around, unless you use XP Crippled (Home Edition).

I know I could probably look this up, but I'm lazy. Cheesy

What is the difference between XP Crippled and XP non-Crippled? Tongue

One difference that I have noticed at work is, with Pro edition, it doesn't seem like you can switch users.  Which kinda sucks.  I liked that feature of logging in more than one account.  And being able to swap back and forth.  Is it possible to enable this feature on XP Pro?

The other difference, which is an advantage for the Pro version, is actually being able to lock specific files, that is limit access between accounts.  I imagine that you could password protect files as well, so other users can still access locked files with the proper authentication, right?  However... although this is a neat feature, I would still prefer to be able to switch back and forth between user accounts without having to log off.  If this feature can be enabled on Pro, then I guess I'll go with that.

Otherwise, any other major features of Pro that are significantly advantageous?

Ste

Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 February 14, 07:21:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Switch User feature should be on XP Pro as well, it may be that your workplace has disabled it for some reason.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 February 14, 07:36:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Switch User feature should be on XP Pro as well, it may be that your workplace has disabled it for some reason.

That's good to know.  I suppose it would be relatively easy to enable?  Or perhaps it is enabled by default?  What sux0rz, is that I haven't been given administrative rights on my work PC. Tongue So's, I can't install or update anything that would actually be useful.

Ste

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 February 14, 07:41:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Switch user does not exist in a domain login environment.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 February 14, 12:03:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Switch user does not exist in a domain login environment.

I assume that means if you are using like a domain controller or what not, and you have your users on I guess what would be a Windows Server?  I'm pretty sure we don't have anything like that here.  All logins/accounts appear to be locally created on a per machine basis.  So... it's not like I can go to any other PC and just login as myself.

It must be that my predecessor locked/disabled that function. Undecided

Ste

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 February 14, 23:27:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sybe: do you log in with the cute login screen (where you pick an icon), or with a plain username/password box? If the latter, you are using the "old" login method and fast user switching is disabled.
You can re-enable it if you're not using a domain login, but only if you have admin rights.

An easy way to test if it is possible to do so is to press winkey+L. If you can switch users, it will drop you immediately back to the login screen, if you cannot, it locks your computer.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 February 15, 03:50:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

New Vista trick:

slmgr -rearm will set the activation deadline to 30 days. Run this on day 30 of your non-activated period and you get a full 30 days extra. (don't run it earlier, if you run it on day 5 you will get 30 days from then -- or 35 days). You can apparently run this 3 times, so you can run Vista unactivated 120 days: the initial 30, and 90 days as extensions.

Or activate your "preview version" on a modified (non-Microsoft) activation server...
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2007 February 15, 07:00:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sybe: do you log in with the cute login screen (where you pick an icon), or with a plain username/password box? If the latter, you are using the "old" login method and fast user switching is disabled.
You can re-enable it if you're not using a domain login, but only if you have admin rights.

Yep.  It's the "cute" login screen.  And nope, unfortunately my predecessor seems reluctant (or just plain too lazy) to give me admin rights to the machine.   Which is kind of PITA, because for a while, I couldn't even get IP Port printing working properly.  Also, certain webpages don't load properly because it has an older version of Flash and Quicktime. Undecided

Anyhew... I googled for the differences, and most of the improvements I don't think I'm all that concerned about.  I'm not sure it's worth the extra 50$.  I suppose I'll have to think about it as I purchase my new compy parts over time.

Incidentally,  I was wondering if anyone has run into this problem with Windows XP and networking/file sharing.  At home, I have two Windows XP machines.  Technically 3 if you count my laptop.

Anyhew, I have a DSL connection and a Linksys Wireless Router.  I originally had on PC (let's call it PC 1)cabled to the router, with File Sharing turned on and certain folders shared on the network.  I used to be able to access those folders, and vice versa from my laptop (i.e. I could also access shared folders on my laptop from the cabled PC).  Recently, I added another PC (let's call it PC 2) on the network.  All machines run Windows XP.  Something got screwed up and my Linksys Router was reset.  I was able to reconfigure everything... but now I can no longer access shared folders on PC 1.

Access seems to be one way only i.e. PC 1 can view and modify folders on PC 2 and the Laptop, however, neither PC 2 nor the Laptop can view or access folders on PC 1.  It complains with some generic message about seeing your network admin. Roll Eyes  I ran into this before, but I don't remember how I fixed it.  One time, all of a sudden, it just happened, and then it also suddently fixed itself. Huh  I tried rebooting all machines, and still one-way access.  Incidentally, PC 2 and the Laptop seem to "talk" fine to each other.  PC 1 is just being stubborn and all secretive with it's files. Tongue

I tried to google for an answer, and there were some suggested fixes.  I followed the instructions on one of them (I forget the details exactly) but this did not help.  Has anyone else run into this?  Anyone know of a sure fire way to fix it?

Any suggestions would be helpful.  I have yet to try resetting the Firewall/Security settings.  Oh, I forgot to mention... I also had a weird thing happen with PC 1, where the option to Turn the Firewall Off was greyed out.  I found a solution to that and I managed to re-enable the greyed out options.  But I was hoping to see if there was some other fix before resetting the Firewall/Security to default.

Ste
« Last Edit: 2007 February 16, 07:48:07 by syberspunk » Logged

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 February 15, 07:11:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For the original issue: What happens when you try to enable FUS? Does it complain about something, or is the option just plain not there?

For filesharing -- talk about the most common error there is. Use the Network Setup Wizard on PC1 and let the NSW create a disk at the end (I usually use a USB drive). Run the wizard from this disk/drive on PC2 and the laptop. This ensures your network and firewall settings are identical and using the same bloody file versions.

Linksys routers usually work really well with LANs so I doubt it is the router.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 February 16, 08:02:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For the original issue: What happens when you try to enable FUS? Does it complain about something, or is the option just plain not there?

FUS doesn't even appear as an option when I go to User Accounts.  It's not really an issue for me at work anyways.  I was just concerned as to whether it was an option at all for XP Pro, since I have only used XP Pro at work, and obviously, in my experience, it did not appear to be available.  Ultimately, I may just go with the crippled version for now, since I figure, if/when I ultimately am forced to upgrade to Vista.  Unless of course, choosing XP Home now ends up limiting my upgrade options for later?

Incidentally... of the different versions available for Vista, which version are you using/would you recommend?

For filesharing -- talk about the most common error there is. Use the Network Setup Wizard on PC1 and let the NSW create a disk at the end (I usually use a USB drive). Run the wizard from this disk/drive on PC2 and the laptop. This ensures your network and firewall settings are identical and using the same bloody file versions.

Linksys routers usually work really well with LANs so I doubt it is the router.

Thanks!  I'll try it out and see if that works.  I figured this should be a common problem.  I did run the wizard on both sides (individually), but I did not try using the "create a disk" thing.  Duh me. Roll Eyes

Ste

smvb
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 February 16, 13:49:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One difference that I have noticed at work is, with Pro edition, it doesn't seem like you can switch users.  Which kinda sucks.  I liked that feature of logging in more than one account.  And being able to swap back and forth.  Is it possible to enable this feature on XP Pro?

I think I might know what the deal is. My husband has XP Pro on his laptop, and we fixed it so that he has access to his files on his desktop computer even when offline from our home network. When he is back on the network, it automatically syncs the files. Look up "offline files" in the help. Anyway, an odd feature of this is that switching users doesn't work on his computer. I can't remember how I found out that using the offline files feature caused this....

Pretend I wrote something witty....
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 February 16, 18:05:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're not using the Windows 2000 style login, you can't use Fast User Switching.  I shudder to think how insecure feature is, but I guess if you have it enabled you're wanting more speed than security anyway.

As for Windows Vista versions, it depends on how much you're willing to spend and what features you want.  The features common with all versions are DirectX, WMP 11, UAC, Windows Defender, IE 7, and Desktop Search 3.0.
Home Basic - XP Home.  Avoid at all costs.
Home Premium - Aero, Flip3D, Media Center, Parental Controls.
Business - Aero, Flip3D, File Restore.
Enterprise - Business with Bitlocker Encryption.
Ultimate - Has all Vista features of Home Premium and Business, including Ultimate Extras.

You can upgrade XP Home to any version, and upgrading XP Pro will force you to reformat for Home Basic and Home Premium.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 February 16, 21:28:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For Vista I would either get Home Premium, or Ultimate. The rest is not worth considering.
I've come back to XP Corp from Vista already, since Vista lacks proper OpenGL drivers (vidcard makers' fault), and sound channel support (Micro$oft's fault). And the irritating UAC of course.

Any version of Windows from '95 onwards can be used to upgrade to Vista, but even an upgrade Vista can be used to clean install... but I would not upgrade an old OS anyway. You end up with garbage.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 February 16, 21:49:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you sure about that?  I think you need Windows 2000 or XP to use an upgrade edition, at least that's what it says on the site.  I doubt having the correct Windows version for upgrading is an issue though, every computer that can run Vista will have at least one of those two.

It seems that Business would be better than Home Premium since it's not loaded with Media Center junk and has more useful features like Previous Version.  Of course, it's $40 more for the upgrade edition.  Additionally, If you had XP Pro and wanted to install in place then you'll have to either use Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 February 16, 22:10:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I posted instructions (I found elsewhere) in the other Vista thread. And tested the clean-install-from-upgrade-disk myself. Even the install partition of Vista counts as an earlier Windows install Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: