More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 30, 07:29:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Is dying on a community lot safe?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Is dying on a community lot safe?  (Read 7560 times)
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
Is dying on a community lot safe?
« on: 2007 February 03, 04:01:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm making a 'hood for upload and intend to have some graves around the place. I only have base + OFB, so I don't have the NL "move gravestones to a community lot" option or any resurrection options in my game.  Is letting a business owner die on one of his owned business lot a VBT? 

I'm curious to know what happens - does he get his gravestone on the community lot or back home?  Suppose his wife is there, does she inherit straight away and can she take his urn home in her inventory?  - but what I'm really worried about is the danger of causing major or minor damage to the files or creating a BFBVFOS.  So the big question is " is it safe?".  I think I've got all Pescado's death related hacks.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Is dying on a community lot safe?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 February 03, 04:41:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims can't die on community lots.   
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 03, 05:04:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dying anywhere is not safe. That's why you end up dead. Wink

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 03, 06:15:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Playable sims can't die on community lots -- townies die just fine.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 03, 09:50:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dying anywhere is not safe. That's why you end up dead. Wink

hee hee hee - that's just like what I was going to say!

Can't you use the death thingy to kill unselected playable sims on community lots? I haven't done it, but I have been considering it for a while now.

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 03, 10:49:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always thought selectable sims could die on community lots too.  You know those Fox satalites just never manage to stay up there.
jfreddog
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 03, 11:42:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

controlable Sims can't die on community lots? That sux.

Only Illusion brings disillusion...
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 03, 12:32:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought the elevator death only worked on community lots and I've also seen posts from people who have had their sims die on community lots. 

This has a sim dying on a community lot
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg177209.html

This has another sim dying on a community lot and also says Maxis said elevator death only works on community lots
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,4008.msg114002.html#msg114002

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 03, 16:51:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After I had built and opened Dr. Death's business, Kevorkian's Parlor (using the cow plant as the death machine), there was no way I could get a Sim to die by birthday cake.  Cow plant would not allow it.

Venusy posted that Sims' can't die on community lots and when I checked the Prima Guide, it said the same thing. 

I've not been able to accomplish it, though I sure have tried.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 February 03, 18:34:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think your currently in-play sim can die on a community lot (at least since OFB), but playables that are there as non-playables can't.  That may be how it works.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 February 04, 02:01:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless I read those threads I linked wrong, simmers have had playable sims die while being played and not being played.  Maybe this has changed over the EPs which is why it's confusing. 

I might try in game sometime, but I guess I'm going to chicken out of trying for this hood and have the elders die at home.  If most of us aren't even sure you can get sims to die on a community lot, I'm never going to be sure if it's safe for the game data.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 February 04, 07:32:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims are not normally allowed to die on community lots not owned by the current family, as this would result in an unrecoverable tombstone (as the lot is not saved), possibly resulting in shredded character data and the permanent loss of that sim. In some cases it is possible to inflict an instant death, such as by satelliting or cowplanting, but normal death-by-motives is not normally possible.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 February 04, 11:03:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims are not normally allowed to die on community lots not owned by the current family, as this would result in an unrecoverable tombstone (as the lot is not saved), possibly resulting in shredded character data and the permanent loss of that sim. In some cases it is possible to inflict an instant death, such as by satelliting or cowplanting, but normal death-by-motives is not normally possible.

Ah so that's how it works, i knew they could be hit by satalites on community lots.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 February 05, 01:44:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Pescado.  So you never save if a sim dies on a community lot who is not in your control. 

If I manage to kill off a sim in the family I'm playing while they are at the business lot, is that safe? 
That's what I'd like to do if it's safe.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 February 05, 02:06:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It isn't normally supposed to be possible to kill your business owner or family while visiting a community lot either, or you could render your game uncontinuable when nobdoy can go home, or when they dead sims try to disembark from the car on return, but this has not been rigorously experimented with.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2007 February 05, 02:42:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK thanks - I won't do it.  A hood for upload isn't the right place for an experiment. 

If I take 3 to the lot and kill 2, I should be able to continue the game OK, but if it's not normally possible, that does suggest to me that it's probably a VBT.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: