More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 30, 06:15:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Reinstalling
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reinstalling  (Read 3405 times)
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
Reinstalling
« on: 2006 December 26, 00:45:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I last installed Sims 2 and all EPs on my laptop I've had an annoying black screen for about 3-5 minutes after the Maxis/EA logos but before the loading screen.  Although this has pissed me off for a while I am finally at the end of my tether with it so have decided to completely uninstall and reinstall everything.  I have already attempted to mount a mini image using daemon tools but this hasn't rectified the problem.  My Downloads folder has never exceeded around 1GB so I know this isn't the problem and no searches on any forum seem to have thrown up anyone else with the same irritant.  Therefore I have concluded something happened during my last installation a couple of months ago as I had never had the black screen of tedium before.

I am currently copying my download folder (now currently at 517KB), neighbourhood folder (as I can't bear to part with two custom neighbourhoods), SavedSims, SC4 terrains and my neighbourhoodcamera.txt file.  Is this all I need to copy or have I missed something important?  Also I assume all I need to do is overwrite the same folders with my recently saved folders after the un- and reinstall.  My main worry is about my neighbourhoods I don't want to lose.  As I have just copied the neighbourhood folder, will this restore them exactly as I left them when I overwrite the folder after the reinstall.  I realise that may sound like a stupid question but I want to make sure!

If anyone has any better ideas about how to solve my black screen problem, I would really appreciate it.  Or please let me know if I am forgetting anything important about restoring my precious neighbourhoods.

Thanks.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Reinstalling
« Reply #1 on: 2006 December 26, 01:39:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before you re-install, have you tried deleting the (ea-logo) video files?  They're in %program files%\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Movies and the EP folders, or something similar.
It's worth a shot.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 December 26, 10:51:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No I haven't yet, I shall give that a go first.

Thanks.

Edit Gave it a go but unfortunately no luck.  Looks like a reinstall is in order!
« Last Edit: 2006 December 26, 10:59:37 by mildlydisguised » Logged
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 December 26, 14:53:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Read this thread first.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,2914.0.html
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 December 26, 16:38:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Ziggy, I think I will copy the whole Sims 2 folder in my documents before starting the reinstall.  I can't imagine it's anything in there that is causing the black screen of tedium.

I hadn't seem that thread before, thanks for pointing me in that direction. 
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 December 26, 16:45:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Out of curiosity, did you move your downloads folder out of your game folder and see if the same error popped up sans the downloads folder?
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 December 26, 18:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah I played a vanilla game when OMGPETZ came out and I still had the black screen then.

I have now reinstalled everything and I can happily confirm that it has solved the problem - no more stupid black screen for 3-5 mins, my Sims 2 folder is back in place and my saved games are just as I left them.  Wish I'd done this a couple of months ago!

Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: