More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 01, 06:36:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  So what exactly IS it safe to change in SimPE?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: So what exactly IS it safe to change in SimPE?  (Read 4479 times)
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
So what exactly IS it safe to change in SimPE?
« on: 2006 October 02, 18:05:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've a few (non) awesome threads, complaining how one should NOT change a) wardrobe b)SWAF and especially not their LTW as it will most probably cause that big burny thingy...so what exactly IS it safe to change in Sim PE? I know it's still in Beta, but surely there must be some things safe to change?!

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
Re: So what exactly IS it safe to change in SimPE?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 October 02, 18:18:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SWAFs are okay, as you need to delete them for characters you deleted.

SDNAs are bad unless you are deleting ALL OF THEM.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 October 02, 18:34:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SWAFs are okay, as you need to delete them for characters you deleted.

SDNAs are bad unless you are deleting ALL OF THEM.

This is a little misleading.  The question was, what's safe to *change*, not what's safe to *delete*.  In my experience changing DNA via SimPE is perfectly safe.

Karen
Soylent Sim
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 October 02, 18:59:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've taken to changing my sims' LTW's in SimPE, and so long as you know what you're doing there's no problem to it.  The issue with changing LTW's in particular is that you have to change several things, and SimPE isn't nice enough to update them all when you change one thing.

Which leads to my next point.  So long as you're not going after deep game files, you should be fine.  Everything in the neighborhood menu, for example, is fine.  The things in the main sim browser in particular are not only fine, but they're easy to change too.  The problems can come when you change some things without changing others, which turns it into more of a "know what you're doing before you do it" sort of thing.  Thankfully, you can figure that out by asking people who already know.

Much of the same goes for deleting things.  Some things, like SWAF's for sims who are no longer around, should be deleted as a matter of course.  Other things, like SDNA's, should never be deleted.  As a general rule, though, except for SWAF's you shouldn't need to delete things.  Again, if you're curious specific questions get better results than generic ones.
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 October 02, 20:25:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did change a few of my sims wants and fears, and tested it out. I even did something rather daring (considering i'm uber new to sim PE) and resurrected Skip Broke and played with HIS SWAF. I changed his LTW to "have a family reunion". Seriously, he's related to the whole neighborhood.

I've taken to changing my sims' LTW's in SimPE, and so long as you know what you're doing there's no problem to it.  The issue with changing LTW's in particular is that you have to change several things, and SimPE isn't nice enough to update them all when you change one thing.
I didn't realise there was anything more in-depth to change ... because on the surface, it seems simple enough to do. Am I doing something wrong? Nothing seems corrupt to me in my game when I play the Brokes, and his wants are fufilled as normal...

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 October 02, 20:29:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just about everything directly related to a single Sim is safe to change: relationships, career, skills, gender preference, name, etc..
Wants can be tricky and are best left alone, or changed in-game.

Memories on the other hand are perfectly safe to change (as long as you don't mess with the tokens).
Soylent Sim
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 October 02, 20:44:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Usually I change LTW's between careers, although at times I'll change it to *have event happen* *N times*.  The problems here are twofold; with two of every available career you might grab the teen version by mistake, and if you change from, say, max all skills to a career you'll have to change the number listed by the target.

If you want to change your LTW to a specific event, I've never tried that, so you might be better off asking someone else.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 October 02, 20:54:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I change the number of my LTWs also. 50 first/dream dates is just absurd. I change it to 20 dream dates usually.

I also change the grilled cheese LTW to 50, since otherwise I have to have my Sim eat almost all his life after using the RSO.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 October 02, 20:55:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the theory is that you're not supposed to do that, because your reward memory is simply "dates, yay".

Update: Amusing discovery: As it turns out, "Dates, yay" is a placeholder text. Apparently, the *MALE* version of the 50 dream dates memory has "real" text, but the female version only has "dates, yay". Which has apparently been translated to other languages. Personally, I think "Dates, Yay" more accurately reflects the feeling of having done this LTW.
« Last Edit: 2006 October 02, 21:05:55 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 October 03, 02:32:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Guess that shows that most of the Maxis programmers are guys. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 October 03, 04:26:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the theory is that you're not supposed to do that, because your reward memory is simply "dates, yay".

LMAO.

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Certainly I think it's a silly LTW to begin with, but I guess with an aspiration that inspires laziness, what are you going to aspire to? Spend x amount of hours on the couch?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: