More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 September 28, 11:16:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540280 Posts in 18067 Topics by 6543 Members
Latest Member: tyerules
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  missing my music files..
0 Members and 4 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: missing my music files..  (Read 3935 times)
bluecatvon
Feckless Fool

I'm so handsome

View Profile
missing my music files..
« on: 2006 August 18, 05:04:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi guys, I screwed up.

I originally have The Sims2 and University, but due to some circumstances, I decided to reinstall both games. Leaving the old games intact (in case I blew something up, which I did now... Cry) I first install The Sims 2 base game. Next I reinstalled my Sims University, but then found out my DVD cannot be read, something bout redundacy cyclic something...I still have my old game though, so I thought, let's see if I can still play the game.

I could, I found no problems in game play. But blimey, my University music files were missing! But of course, this is what you get for screwing around with computers...now when I have my sims perform on the instruments or play jazz or college rock music on the radio, no sound came out. I miss the music haha...and the lively music in the neighbourhood has gone, returned to the boring birds chirping from the base game...

Apart from finding a way to re-installing University, is there any other way to return the music?

Our Creator was bored. Our Creator made humans. Our Creator loves Sims 2!
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
Re: missing my music files..
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 18, 13:15:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only way I can think of offhand is to copy the music files direct from the cd to the relevant files.  I've copied my own mp3 files from cd's that way and they work, so I don't see why the game's own music wouldn't.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 18, 13:28:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game music files are in compressed.zip just like most other base game files.
If your CD is scratched, try cleaning it: metal polish works remarkably well.
bluecatvon
Feckless Fool

I'm so handsome

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 18, 15:07:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found out that I don't have a Jazz folder or a Collegerock folder, so I copied the old files into my music folder. The problem is the game didn't notice it, the files are in their correct folders but when I check the audio in the configure menu, you know, the one where you can play the music and choose which ones you want to play in the game, the genre wasn't there.

so I was hoping for a way to make the game SEE the files there and return joy to my life. Mime orchestra isn't all that cool

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 18, 16:23:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not home, but there's a text file in one of the directories somewhere that tells the game which music 'channels' and directories exist.  You probably need to update that file to get all your music back.

If no one chimes in with the location, I'll look for it later and let you know.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 August 18, 16:41:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the categories are not recognised, your Uni install did not go right. Can you add a Uni n'hood to your main 'hood?
bluecatvon
Feckless Fool

I'm so handsome

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 August 18, 18:19:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i think jsalemi has the answer! oh pretty pretty thank you! I'll wait eagerly for your answer!

I played the game a few more hrs, and i found that all sound files from the Uni EP is missing. That means silent school cheering, silent pranks, and silent performances. I can't wait to get the sounds back! And some people hated sim music Cheesy I'm a fan haha!

Jordi, my game cd cannot be read. luckily I use daemon tools to play which required no cd. which means i'm stuck with the old installation. I know the best and simplest way is to reinstall Uni, but without a readable cd, i was hoping there are other ways

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 August 18, 18:54:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, but I made a mistake -- the video stuff is controlled by a text file (what appears on the TV).  The music is controlled by a .package file in the \TSData\Res\Text directory under the various episode directories in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES.  The sound files themselves are in the Sound directory.

So it looks like you may have to find a copy of Uni and re-install it to get those back.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
bluecatvon
Feckless Fool

I'm so handsome

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 August 19, 08:30:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cry

i'll consider the metal polish then...though I don't trust my hands that much haha...

at least it's playable, just the silent treatment is getting on my nerves  Undecided

thanks guys!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: