More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 23, 19:46:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Buying Espresso Jump Bug?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Buying Espresso Jump Bug?  (Read 2494 times)
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
Buying Espresso Jump Bug?
« on: 2006 August 12, 01:53:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe the issue in my game is now fixed, however I'd like to know what caused it so I can avoid it happening again in the future.

My sim Aiden went Downtown to Buy Espresso. To cut a very long story short, he could not buy espresso for himself. Every time he tried, at the point where the barista put the coffee down on the counter and the game extracted $15 from him, he would "jump" and reset, making the coffee disappear.

I found that:
1) Aiden could buy espresso for a friend and the friend received the first espresso correctly. The second espresso got made, but again the game jumped & reset Aiden at the point where he should have received his coffee.
2) Other sims were still able to use the same espresso cart, the jumping was unique to Aiden.
3) Other sims who also had not previously met this particular barista (Ally Futa) were still able to buy coffee as usual.
4) Debug mode Force Error --> Reset and/or Deleting the barista and the espresso cart made no difference.
5) Buy Mode deleting of the coffee cart & replacing made no difference.

Reading the debug mode log, it seemed it was 'Soc&Rel: Set Familiarity Between Sims' and 'NPC - Add Encounter Relationship' causing the jumping. Aiden seemed to reset at the point in the coffee-buying process where you'd usually add the barista to your Relationship panel. My test sim, an ex-Townie who's also an Elder, with very few memories, who also had not previously met this particular barista was unaffected.

I wondered if the problem was due to Aiden's spouse having died less than a sim day earlier. So I checked Aiden's memories with SimPE, Fixed some memories with Theo's plugin, and deleted irrelevant invisible memories. This made no difference to the espresso cart jumping. Went back in and checked Extremely's memories (Extremely being the dead spouse) and found he was lacking the "I am Dead" token, so I gave him that and also unchecked Aiden & Extremely's Married box, and of course Committed the changes. Aiden still could not buy coffee.

Then I checked all the hacks I have and pulled out the ones that are no longer needed for Nightlife Patch 2. Aiden continued to jump. I double-checked that I had the most recent versions of everything from the Nightlife version of moreawesomethanyou.zip (I did). Still no use.

Finally, I pulled out every hack including hacked objects, deleted groups.cache and cigen.package, and booted up the game again. This time Aiden was able to buy the espresso, gained a "Met Ally" memory, and had Ally Futa added to his Relationships panel. I tried adding hacks back slowly, but every time Aiden could still buy espresso. It's kinda a false test because of course he will be able to buy coffee, because he now has Ally in his Relationships panel. So the game doesn't have to create that memory or relationship, and isn't going to jump. I now have all the hacks back in, and coffee is still happening.

I am pretty damn sure I don't have anything that's incompatible with NL Patch 2, now. But clearly something was wrong. Does anyone More Awesome than me have an opinion on what it might have been (other than that All Baratrons Suck)? I have logs if required, lots of them, all starting with Error: Bad gosub tree number and going on to mention 'Soc&Rel: Set Familiarity Between Sims' and 'NPC - Add Encounter Relationship'.

[Stupid buggy game. I've been working on trying to fix this since 21:48, and it's now 02:44. Five bloody hours to fix an apparently minor problem, because I was worried it was symptomatic of a much worse problem, like corrupted invisible memories all over the Neighbourhood  Angry.]
« Last Edit: 2006 August 12, 01:58:46 by baratron » Logged

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
Re: Buying Espresso Jump Bug?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 12, 02:21:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like it might be related to Pescado's Drama Prof and Met Self fix. I think that a bad gosub tree type of error sometimes means the file format is off, or it might be trying to refer to a BHAV that doesn't exist. Why not attach the error logs themselves?

Ste

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 12, 07:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This error may have been the bad-tree-version thing that was fixed awhile back. Does it continue to happen if updated?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 12, 17:52:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like it might be related to Pescado's Drama Prof and Met Self fix. I think that a bad gosub tree type of error sometimes means the file format is off, or it might be trying to refer to a BHAV that doesn't exist. Why not attach the error logs themselves?

Ah. Thanks for the heads-up. I restored the broken backup and tried pulling out only those hacks I thought were likely to be related to the espresso cart: these being coffeecuphack.package and restaurantbarfix.package. Neither of them made any difference. However, when I removed dramafix.package, the problem went away.

My website's broken at the moment so I'll have to attach it here. For some reason, some of the logs of Aiden's jump bug are ~140 kB, while others are ~170 kB. I'll attach one of the shorter ones. I'm pretty sure you'll find it's an OFB BHAV being called from the NL game, although I really don't understand why, of a handful of test sims, Aiden has the jumping and other sims don't. It shows how inconsistent bugs in this game are, that it happens every time for Aiden yet not at all for other sims.

This error may have been the bad-tree-version thing that was fixed awhile back. Does it continue to happen if updated?

I have the version of dramafix.package dated 12 july 2006, installed from the NL version of moreawesomethanyou.zip dated 06 aug 2006. (Yes, I only have up to NL + NL Patch 2.) Timestamp is 12 july 2006 05:01, and Windows thinks it's 1.33 kB.
« Last Edit: 2006 August 12, 18:30:19 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 12, 18:30:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fixed now. Was a missing OFB-only switch disable.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: