More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 27, 20:44:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Security Question
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Security Question  (Read 2255 times)
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
Security Question
« on: 2006 April 03, 12:33:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because MATY has a high ratio of technically adept people I ask this in all seriousness as one who knows little.

Is there a credible possibility that malicious code--wrapped in a .package file--could be spread by unwitting Sims players using the exchange community? I am referring, specifically, to the criminally malicious viruses like keystroke loggers, emailers and data destroyers.

One reason for my concern is that new utilities (like QXpress at MTS2) are appearing that streamline the downloading process and too much streamlining can result in little or no opportunity, even for a semi-savvy twit like yours truly, to consider performing a virus scan on the damned stuff before it is decompressed and buried in a gigabytes wide folder.

Should we be warning that all packages and sims2packs are virus-scanned before installing?

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
webwench
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Security Question
« Reply #1 on: 2006 April 03, 12:36:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always virus-scan them as a precaution - A trojan got ahold of me earlier in this year, so I went on super-paranoia mode.  Conceivably, if someone is using coding to effect the game, it logically follows that it's theoretically possible for someone to write in a worm code or some such.

Just be careful Smiley
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Security Question
« Reply #2 on: 2006 April 03, 16:37:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it is distinctly possible to create a virus-infested Sims2Pack. There are plenty of virii which can take effect simply if they get on your computer, and if such a thing is bundled into a sims2pack, it could potentially get onto the exchange and spread.

It is also entirely possible for sims2 code to be malicious in nature. In fact, I pondered this possibility awhile back, and decided that it is, in fact, possible to bundle a malicious hack into the game that will activate at some random trigger point, and perform malicious activity ranging from turning your game into a BFBVFS to crashing it. Or both. So yes, it is entirely possible for malicious code to be bundled into Sims2packs.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: